Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #61
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Trice. Good write-up on the bike. You may recall we had a thread some time ago about bike size and I raved about the 250cc I ride, a low-tech Honda street bike with dual-purpose tires. I think a couple of guys laughed at me I'm just shy of 5'8" and also over 50. Fitness guy too, but not CrossFit. No! . For my rides to Mexico in order for me to do mostly street but get out to locations on dirt roads (like the roads around Parras, etc.) you can see how my selection of bike was shaped. If I was taller, I would have selected just like you did, a DRZ 400 kitted out with adventure farkles.
Did you take that bike to the Wild Bunch hacienda??????

That route was gnarly!!!

(story at the end of the ride report about us following in Pedro's footsteps to find the filming location of the grand finale of The Wild Bunch)
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #62
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Trice, I'm about 200 miles north of you in the hill country, mostly limestone hills and cactus. Rocks are the best things grown in the fields up here . I'll get my camera out and take a picture of the land I ride my BMW 1150 GSA on.
Post up those photos, Dave

Like I said a few posts back - this Sierra Madre ride all but killed any fear I might have had about any terrain.

Why?

I explained it to Jimmex in a phone call about 1/2 hour ago:

You are so beat up, so tired, and so wanting to get to the cabin at Mexiguillo or the hotel in Mazatlán, that your survival brain takes over and you just push through stuff that in an academic environment when you have time to think about it would stop you in your track.

Deep sand washouts next to a 2,000m drop? Gun it.

Down hill reverse switchback with no discernable line? Oh well.

Remember: Plenty of guys on ADV grew up with their dads on dirt bikes and have great ride reports of dancing all over all kinds of terrain.

Guys like me, up until very recently, puckered at the idea of deep sand and riding dirt in the rain.

Well, you can go to Rawhyde or take a few years and dabble in it.

Or come on the Ruta ATV from Durango and get it over in 2 days!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #63
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
The KTM 690 R comes in at 305 pounds dry and 320 wet according to sources on the internet. That's a whole pound heavier than the published wet weight on a drz (and may have cured my desire to own another drz).

I was lucky SR hung onto his DRZ and let me have use of it for this ride.

Like I said, it wasn't dialed in for my height, and I had never rode (ridden?) it before, so those two things combined were factors, but didn't stop me from really enjoying it. When I say "enjoying it", let me be clear - I never had to worry about the ability of the bike, or it's power, to get me to the end of the day.

I did wish the bars were on risers, but hey, that's a minor point compared to the fact that I was, on the opposite hand, impressed by the DRZ400's get up and go.

I had, by the way, had recent experience on Richard's (Trailboss) Hill Country 500 Challenge. We swapped my KTM 500 for his DRZ400 for a stretch.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Can't make me read this thread. Nope. Not gonna look. Ain't gonna happen. Ever. Not me. Uh-uh.

Edited . To protect the children.

Why'd I look?
Because Tom, you love México, you love challenges, and really, you can wait to see the photo and the video of my 2 wipe outs. They are on the way!

Everybody goes to NASCAR to see the crashes.

My luck was SR had his camera out for mine

Bonus: want to create a NASCAR race at home?

Flush the toilet and drop in a bag of Skittles
Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #65
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Guys like me, up until very recently, puckered at the idea of deep sand and riding dirt in the rain.
I am still that guy!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #66
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Awesome stuff guys!

Can't wait for the RR.

Sounds like a fun ride for sure.

When I crossed the mountains SR was the only guy who said "go for it". Everybody from tourists, people back home, Mexicans, etc. All said no. Sooo glad I took his advice!
SR is as we speak enroute to the states for a well-deserved 2 week vacation.

He uploaded his massive photo card to his new Smugmug account.

When he tells me he's settled, we'll launch the in-the-dirt portion of this story.

You'll never guess who we met in the backcountry. Not sure we should talk about it.

Hint: They had a lot of guns
Old 07-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #67
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I am still that guy!
You'll get over it, Willis.

But you got to hang it out there, and be willing to fail.

Big Bend Desert Challenge, Fall Edition

It has your name on it.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #68
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
You ever seen me on a DRZ ? Little bikez, I squash 'em ! ! !
Given screen name "Big Dave".....I picture and
Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #69
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Maybe you just need a Super Enduro.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #70
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Trice,
....takin' notes.....
I hope the photos we're about to throw in here inspire you to dig into doint this ride for yourself in 2014.

Or, you can come to Tecate in September and watch me flail from there to Cabo over 9 days! If you come along, I'll buy all the food you can slam and all the bebidas you can slurp.

The Tecate to Cabo run was something I thought would be my "training" ride. Forget that! The Sierra did that for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
Yea! Looking forward to reading this one.
SR had his camera clipped to his jacket, and took tons of photos and cool video...it will all be in here. Stay tuned amigo.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #71
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I always in joy a good tricepilot ride report
Bring it on...
I bet you never thought you'd "star" in one of my ride reports, well, here you go!:

Our man Going South is actually "Our Man in Mazatlán", so voted by, well, our panel of those who know who.

Jim was there with Schizzman as I met him for the first time, on Saturday night last week, when I rode in, a total physical wreck, from the final day of the Ruta.

They found me at the registration desk of the El Cid, at night, me with still my gear on, drenched with sweat, stinky, kinda out of it, in a daze, and he handed me a beer.

I know some nice guys, but Going South is a nice guy's nice guy.

And he loves México and Mazatlán.

For ADV adventurers, you can consider Jim "Our Man in Mazatlán"

He was part of the after party at the beach where we all had lobster, shrimp, drinks, and fun. Plus, he took us up to the rooftop bar at the Freeman (video and photos later), for a fab afternoon and a nice 360 view of Maz and the ocean and the harbor.

Jim is back and forth for work up north, but if you can catch him in Maz, you must.

Great guy!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #72
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

There's actually one for sale in the classifieds (not mine). I figure somebody Dave's size could probably man handle one over some rough terrain. Personally, I'm 6'2," 215 pounds, and in decent shape but she's still a big girl compared a DRZ or any normal dirt bike and, even with mad skills I don't possess, I'm not sure I'd want to take her over anything to gnarly. Not that I wouldn't try....

Anyway, love the report so far but I'm impatiently waiting on the pictures. This is going to be good! :

Sent from my HTC using magic.

veriest1 screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 07:19 PM
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #73
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:

Anyway, love the report so far but I'm impatiently waiting on the pictures. This is going to be good! :
Lot's of us have seen the Sierra Madre from the comfort of the Espinazo (paved Mex 40 libre)

I think this will be a really rare view of what is out there in those hills everyone sees in the distance

There are lots of Baja ride reports, I hope this will be a good glimpse of what its like out there in this cool part of the mainland, where books and movies tell stories about
Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #74
michaellmcc
Dudester

Oddometer: 74
Bring it on!

The RR that is.

Just back from Alaska and haven't been on this site for a while. Really looking forward to hearing about the trip!

Explored by motorbike: USA, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam. Videos: Alaska: http://vimeo.com/70698420; Mexico: http://vimeo.com/62712738 ; Austin to Indy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsHo...eature=mh_lolz ; Morocco: http://youtu.be/fW758r_V4mE ; Big Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKpJ...ature=youtu.be
michaellmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #75
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellmcc View Post
The RR that is.

Just back from Alaska and haven't been on this site for a while. Really looking forward to hearing about the trip!

We had that last week in México, at El Salto!

Here's SR:

México in June! Don't forget to bring your all-weather gear if you come to the Sierra in the summer!

Yikes!

Get stuck out on the trail with no bivvy or at least a really good jacket: