Oddometer: 1,624
Old 07-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #2702
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 645
Amazing stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Maybe I'll hang a pair of socks in a tree out on the Salar, you can grab 'em on your way by.....they should be aired out pretty good by the time you roll through.

Finding some good Sherpa roads for you to try out
Juanito, mira lo que te espera!!!

That road is amazing.

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #2703
calimusjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Inspirations

JohnD. In 2010, my wife died of lung cancer and I fell and broke my back in 3 places. Life was grim. But I was reading these missives from S.A. featuring the one and only Crashmaster. He inspired me to load down a Honda Trike pulling a trailer and to hit the road. I packed everything - including a sink.

After 20 some thousand miles of looking like a smaller version of the Mayflower Moving Company, I switched to a Weestrom with ONLY 200 pounds of Essential equipment strapped, tied and bungeed atop a great machine. I survived hauling all that junk from Oregon to Coldfoot, Alaska to Cabo, etc. for another 20 thou. Then you came along.

My TW 200 is patiently waiting in Arizona to see if I have been inspired enough to actually take just what I need on a run to the Yucatan. I may even enjoy the freedom of not spending an hour a day loading/unloading. That extra hour is important - especially when you are in your mid-seventies.

(Sorry about all the color changes - hit wrong keys)
Keep up the teachin'. Even an occasional Old Fart like me can learn somethin new from you young riders.
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #2704
ratbikemike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
/6 stuff

John,
Thanks much my friend. I had wanted to make the old bike nice enough so a guy could get stupid about it. It does have a 77 r100rs with delortos and all that rare stuff like 336 cam, 40mm exhaust etc. I had some idea of it looking like a /5 or /6 but with an all bmw motor with all the good stuff. Thanks again. I'm sure we can make it marketable. There is a picture of it early in my HU report. Meanwhile I will be plotting my next escape. ratbikemike
ratbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #2705
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Maybe I'll hang a pair of socks in a tree out on the Salar, you can grab 'em on your way by.....they should be aired out pretty good by the time you roll through.

Finding some good Sherpa roads for you to try out
Hi Kary,

I've been following along on your ride over at:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...885887&page=10

Believe me, I am taking notes. That is an epic ride report you've got going there. Keep up the good work amigo! Hope to see you down the Sherpa trail later this year.

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Old 07-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #2706
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 575
Talking about you the other day John I was working in Baltimore with two Colombians from Medellin that they called hotdog and chili . Really great guys and I could see why Columbia would be so nice if most people down there are like them , they were laughing and joking the whole time including while loosing money playing poker that night in the motel room .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #2707
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
JD : I think you have done a great job on shedding some light on what it costs to do the big ride down south, and how to do it cheaper.
Lighter & less is the way to go. Next time I will do it way more minimal.
One thing that may be more subtle & less apperant is : what the price is of wanting to go but never doing it....
Old 07-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #2708
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,178
JDowns,

You probably don't remember me from Roll the Bones 3 up in Texas but I was the guy camping on the 950 super enduro-tard. I stopped and talked to you and cleatus (with the guzzi hack) while you guys were waiting on your party to get fuel down the road.

Anyway, I've been quietly following your ride report since before you even got down here and, frankly, I'm impressed with your report, and you as a person, and I count it an honor to have met you.

To put it simply (and to make it sound less like a man crush), you're doing it and you're doing it your way so post what you want. I guarantee most of us will find it more fascinating than 2 actors riding thousands of miles on free bikes with a support truck.

Sent from my HTC using Tourances.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #2709
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
One thing that may be more subtle & less apperant is : what the price is of wanting to go but never doing it....
For sure.. through this thread John has changed my view on life and I started applying these principles towards changing mine towards the "minimalist" living not just motorcycling, but to be able to enjoy more riding and travel time. It is better to realize where is one's life energy best spent before is too late. It is one thing we can't buy with money.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #2710
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
JDowns,

You probably don't remember me from Roll the Bones 3 up in Texas but I was the guy camping on the 950 super enduro-tard. I stopped and talked to you and cleatus (with the guzzi hack) while you guys were waiting on your party to get fuel down the road.

Anyway, I've been quietly following your ride report since before you even got down here and, frankly, I'm impressed with your report, and you as a person, and I count it an honor to have met you.

To put it simply (and to make it sound less like a man crush), you're doing it and you're doing it your way so post what you want. I guarantee most of us will find it more fascinating than 2 actors riding thousands of miles on free bikes with a support truck.

Sent from my HTC using Tourances.
Hi veriest1,

I remember you well from RTB. Good to have met you. You tard you. Glad you are still following along. I think the majority rules. I'll post whatever the hell I want on this ride report from now on.

Saludos,
Juan Tardo
Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #2711
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
JD : I think you have done a great job on shedding some light on what it costs to do the big ride down south, and how to do it cheaper.
Lighter & less is the way to go. Next time I will do it way more minimal.
Hi Kary,

You doing it more minimal? I might need some of those tools you carry when I get back down there. Somebody's got to be the responsible mule carrying the weight for folks like me.

Travel is priceless. I have to say.

Best,
Juan Sherpa
Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #2712
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Talking about you the other day John I was working in Baltimore with two Colombians from Medellin that they called hotdog and chili . Really great guys and I could see why Columbia would be so nice if most people down there are like them , they were laughing and joking the whole time including while loosing money playing poker that night in the motel room .
Hi Hawk62cj5,

Colombians know how to have fun, that's for sure. I like to goof around and have fun as well. I think I might be part Colombian. Not sure if mom had a Colombian boyfriend or not.

Best,
Juan Paisa
Old 07-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #2713
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
For sure.. through this thread John has changed my view on life and I started applying these principles towards changing mine towards the "minimalist" living not just motorcycling, but to be able to enjoy more riding and travel time. It is better to realize where is one's life energy best spent before is too late. It is one thing we can't buy with money.
Wise words, Señor Dracula,

Enjoying more riding and travel time is a noble goal. I was fortunate to work for wealthy folks whose vast possessions kept them so busy they never had time to go anywhere. I feel fortunate to have sold everything I owned at an early age and traveled around the world with a daypack for a year. You learn just how little you really need to get by.

Ah yes, but there is a balance. Everyone finds it.

Best,
Your pal John
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #2714
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
John:

just checking in again. I've also been here from the start.

wanted you to know that I lurk and read more than I comment

safe travels. too bad I will miss you as I head East near Bassett

Looking forward to seeing more of your adventuring riding, fund raising projects

bob
Hi bob,

Looking forward to your ride report to the maritimes. Should be fun.

Best,
John
Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #2715
TonsOfFun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Mimimalist

I'd be a minimalist too if I didn't have so much stuff.
TonsOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote