User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,354
cheap plasma cutter

I've been wanting one for a long time. I think I'll be selling a bike here real soon, so while the cash is available, I think I'll go for it. Anyone here have one they'd recommend, or un-recommend? I'm thinking about an Everlast Supercut50 or 50P, which has a pilot arc. What is a pilot arc, and why do I want it? Any others I should be looking at? Thanks everybody.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,901
I picked up a Longevity 60i a few years ago for $650 shipped. It's the one with pilot arc (you want I think) and IGBT technologies. Fit and finish are okay and so far it's worked just fine with no hiccups. They claim to have good stateside support and a longstanding beef with everlast...... in-laws I guess. Lots of trash talk between them I guess.
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
I don't have a ton of experience here, but the one I used most had an on-board compressor, which was pretty nice. That setup eliminates the need for extra hoses, setup, noise, plugs, etc.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,015
Pilot plasma arc is a pre-cutting plasma arc generated when a button is pressed on the torch. The pilot arc does not require the cutter (torch) to strike an arc on a surface before cutting - which saves some time by not having to remove paint to strike an arch. I am thinking about getting one of the Everlast plasma cutters.

Wikipedia on plasma cutter terminology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_cutting
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Tin Shack
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hypertherm powermax45................had it for a few years now. Great little machine and support from Hypertherm is second to none.
Tin Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,088

not as good as our miller unit...but for home shop, and portable. Great machine http://www.eastwood.com/welders.html...Fcah4AodvWcAzw

gsweave screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 09:13 AM
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I've had three Chinese plasma cutters. All three worked well, one broke.
A 40 amp plasma/smaw/dc-gtaw
A 60 amp plasma/smaw/dc-gtaw
And an 80 amp plasma
The Chinese units are like hybrids of old and new domestic units. They do not use pilot arcs internal of the torch for plasma or tig function like modern domestics. what they do is have a spark gap inside the machine that creates the pilot arc on the electrode. (You should adjust/Inspect the gap on occasion too!) Unlike old domestic units these are HUGE pilot arcs. Older domestics tended to have very weak pilot arcs from electrode to base metal you were cutting, so they were very rust/scale sensitive. You couldn't bring me a piece of metal with enough rust on it a blah cheap Chinese plasma won't instantly light off. Ofcorse the spark gap creates huge RFI/EMI and the machines are not as reliable or in any way as good as domestics, but don't fear them.... They're nothing more than huge mosfets, relays, caps and a couple basic logic boards.

Ill continue owning Chinese dc plasmas around the house, they're handy and its so basic even the Chinese get them right! So buying a hyperthermia for non-production work is a bit excessive for your average guy.
Yes I do weld for a living
Yes home shop too
Yes I can not stand 98% of Chinese products. But I've had good experiences with the welder/plasma units. Replacement parts are cheap & simple fixes.

It real downside to the Chinese ones is the knockoff torches /hoses are not as good and while the consumables are dirt cheap you do go through them much faster than domestic tips/cups. Keep in mind the price is so low if you're not doing major production work the long lifespan would never pay it'll off. By if you hate it they are knockoffs and the 'Mercian stuff will attach up.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 681
USAwelds.com
HTP welders I have the 301 micro cut and it works well and seemed priced right.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote