Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #106
RoadRdr
Mostly Pavement

Oddometer: 164
You can put me down for wanting to see more shows about people riding motorcycles in challenging situations and places I'll probably never get to see.

Could they have found more skilled riders? You betcha. I seriously believe there's some skilled riders on this forum that would make that ride look like a Sunday cruise. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. But I also don't think it would not be as interesting. I liked seeing what the BMW off road training center is offering. Neale Bayly took three about average street riders and arranged some specialized training and then put those riders into a situation that required above average riding skills. In an environment foreign to them. On really cool bikes. (my biased opinion)

I'm sure there was enough raw footage shot that they could have edited it more toward an audience of seasoned and proficient riders. But that's not the target audience.

I am pleased to see people on TV riding motorcycles in cool places, wearing riding gear, and giving non-riders a little peek at what it's like to travel by motorcycle. Most of the viewing audience don't have a clue about motorcycle travel.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #107
RiderLoverTraveler
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
While I agree with most of what you say, I have to wonder about your association with the show?

None the less, thanks for posting your opposing opinion, but do not associate ALL of us with your observations. Some of us actually are on your side, at least in part.

Jim
Thanks, Jim, I apologize for the "blanket" statement; appreciate the call out on that.
RiderLoverTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #108
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
I made the comment on their site about the contrived drama. I was "set straight" that it was "all real" and these were "real people with average riding experience" "pushed outside their comfort zones".
Okay, the tires... WTF were they thinking? I live in the desert of WA state. Everybody who rides the dunes uses either knobs or paddles or some mixture of the above (unless youre a noob who has no clue).
I'm no Neale Bayly. I don't pop wheelies, or jump buses or any crazy sh!t. I ride a Super Ten and a Vstrom. I generally stick to dirt/gravel roads when I'm out and about. At 50 I'm just now considering getting something a little more dirt worthy like a DRZ or WR250. (started out on a 250 Enduro at 16. Then other responsibilities took me away)
Now that you know a little about me, here's my opine about the show:

They describe the Doctor as somebody who shuns giving up, plays boys games with the boys, races sport bikes on track days, etc. BTW she kept falling over because she was using too much front brake (or at least that's what it looked like during training).
They portray The businessman as somebody who rode dirt bikes as a kid and now rides cruisers fairly regularly. He has a sensitive stomach. Im guessing the beginnings of an ulcer due to his OCD.
The Preacher grew up in Bahamas.. we are constantly reminded of that. Sounds like he has some riding experience. But he has a catchy nickname.. the "Whiskey Priest", yet he bears no resemblance to Graham Greene's "Whisky Priest".
So I would think these people had some sort of MSF class maybe? at least a general idea about riding in aggressive traffic. Nope... they look like complete idiots.
To me this at first glance is nothing more than actors who aren't actors acting in a show. Just like any "reality show". It isn't reality, its contrived BS. I truly appreciate Neale's work, I really do. I think its great that he searches for a higher purpose than just riding around the world.
We all have our own reasons for riding. Mine are purely selfish
After watching the first episode I gave it a second chance. It still sucked. I mean really... freaking out about wind, rain, hail, freezing eyelashes, crazy drivers? WTF? The BEST part was when Neale gave the guy (and his dead Alpaca) a ride into town. THAT is what ADVriding is about.

There was ZERO real character development. There was ZERO development of Neale's relationship to the orphanage. There was ZERO development of what the orphanage is all about. Of course there was a LOT of sponsor coverage and pointers about how to buy NBR garb (" a PORTION of the proceeds" benefit Neale's foundation).
While I like the premise of the show...I hate the show. Neale seems like a straight up guy constrained by media lunk heads who want to sell BMWs or whomever else bought ad space on SPEED channel. To me it was nothing more than corporate douchebags telling me I need to "feed my restless" and Neale and his foundation (and the orphanage) get a small cut of the proceeds.
I'm very disappointed.
-Peterman-
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #109
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRdr View Post
You can put me down for wanting to see more shows about people riding motorcycles in challenging situations and places I'll probably never get to see.

Could they have found more skilled riders? You betcha. I seriously believe there's some skilled riders on this forum that would make that ride look like a Sunday cruise. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. But I also don't think it would not be as interesting. I liked seeing what the BMW off road training center is offering. Neale Bayly took three about average street riders and arranged some specialized training and then put those riders into a situation that required above average riding skills. In an environment foreign to them. On really cool bikes. (my biased opinion)

I'm sure there was enough raw footage shot that they could have edited it more toward an audience of seasoned and proficient riders. But that's not the target audience.

I am pleased to see people on TV riding motorcycles in cool places, wearing riding gear, and giving non-riders a little peek at what it's like to travel by motorcycle. Most of the viewing audience don't have a clue about motorcycle travel.
just more white devils ruining the world with their western culture
-Peterman-
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #110
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 544
I watched the series and did enjoy parts of the show. Watching motorcycles during prime time is better than Pawn Stars in my book.

I was wondering if Neal tapped Laura the doctor? I swear I saw Cupid in the background while they were sipping wine at dinner.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #111
340hp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
So, NBR is pimped as Reality TV? Was it about a ride, or a charity, or how to fail at telling a story?

Where was the Reality TV of the orphanage, the back story of the founders of the orphanage, how NB found the orphanage, and what endeared him to the orphanage? We, as the audience, could have been much more engaged if each episode had offered glimpses of the goal, the orphanage's day-to-day in contrast to the riders daily lives, and the reason the goal is held dear to NB.

Does NB care enough about his charity to detail it during the training episode #1 (no), or episode #2 during the "sand trial" (no)? Does he talk about it with passion to the selected actor/riders to prepare them and encourage them (not on camera)? Where is the hook to get the audience cheering for the goal, or for the participants to reach NB's stated goal (did it get edited out, in trade for false "character" development)?

Did the actors/riders audition for the ride, in addition to fund their ride? If they did, the casting director should be replaced. Did the writers or casting intend to introduce, in detail, any of the actors/riders previous charity experience (because of so, it was lost in editing)? Why were none of the characters portrayed with a passion for charity (not even NB, and it was his story... intended to benefit his charity)?

Did any of the riders become friends (with each other, or the crew, because the editors missed it)? The story and the character selection left no one for the audience to cheer for (maybe the one guy with the skinned Llama, but he was not scrutinized by the casting director). I guess Spanish or the native tongue was too controversial for public ears (very few native voices in the entire show)?

The sand road editing was too much close up film. For what reason (an attempt to gain some first-person compassion)? After the first few falls, the viewer had no option but to pick apart the poor bike choice, the poor tire choice and lack of advance rider preparation on the bike they were riding. It provided too much wear & tear opportunity for the viewer to see NB as an ignorant & manipulative guide (prepared for disaster to address liability concerns, but also planning for disaster at the actors/riders expense).

We needed more overall wide screen photography when weather allowed. The riding photography was good for the conditions, but not enough of the country was shown to capture and communicate the new riders awe of visiting somewhere unconstrained by a cage. The mountain mist sucked for the film crew and they did a very good job of salvaging footage that reflected the terrain in compact depths of field. The edited camera loops missed showing any connection between the riders and the country on the sand road (it was all close up sand). The editors missed showing any connection between the riders and the country they visited.

What was likable? The Guy from BMW (he was always ready to help the riders). The guy driving the support truck (again, always helpful). The man delivering the Llama to his home was the highlight. The kids on the road stops were all good, but by the time the orphanage was brought to light the freshness of any interaction was ruined (by the previous focus on NB pushing the riders to mix with the locals).

Before you try filming another ride, try filming prep story of the goal (the charity, the orphanage, & the kids). Let the characters actions tell their story (don't tell us the good Dr. is a rider and then disappoint us when actions reveal otherwise). Let NB and the crew show some passion, for riding and for the charity. Introduce the crew, camera crew and support crew, and mix the crew and the actors/riders (unless the intent is to segregate them into distinct castes/classes). Show the editor the opening scene of Lawrence of Arabia, and the countryside, before cutting begins. Give yourself two-weeks or more in-country to better tell the local's story.

It's worth doing again.
340hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #112
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
i liked the show . better than watching honey boo boo.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #113
BruceT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Nbr

Beemers and fake boobies..,,,well that was three good things about the show... disappointing final layout of the show,it needed more scenery and riding,less resorts and pools,,,
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #114
Martin_404
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
i liked the show . better than watching honey boo boo.
You say that now, but wait until you see the upcoming honey boo boo adventure bike episodes.

Martin_404 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 04:27 PM
Martin_404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #115
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,749
Does anyone know what that windscreen film is called they had on the bikes? Or a website that makes/prints it? I kinda want to do something similar.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #116
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
3m vehicle wrap. Most sign shops should have the material and can print anything on it you want. If it is something you want to last a long time(>1 year) have the clear film laminated over it. Depending on what you are installing it on it might be worth paying an installer.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #117
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
To most here.........
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help." - Abraham Lincoln

That said, here's a link where you can donate to the orphanage.... http://wellspring-outreach.org/donate.html

If you donate, keep bitching. If not, STFU.

And to one particular someone here ........ we've had our differences over the last couple years and I grew to hate you for making the job I loved miserable. But I want you to know that the only memories that flooded my head when I saw you last week were the good times we shared. I'm glad you came over to say hello. I'm sorry I blew you off.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #118
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post

If you donate, keep bitching. If not, STFU.

I'm sorry I blew you off.
Keep this up and they may hire you to do some recruiting.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #119
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
Keep this up and they may hire you to do some recruiting.
Doubt it.

It is hard to see my empathetic heart through all my asshattery.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #120
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Doubt it.

It is hard to see my empathetic heart through all my asshattery.
Exactly, but I wish you the best.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote