Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #1276
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Only to the extent that in F1, it is almost always more about the car than the driver. To the extent that the driver matters in F1 (which is not much overall), I think you do have to ping Alonso for poor qualifying, at least compared to Vettel.

- Mark
If Alonso qualified in an RBR in the same positions he does in the Ferrari you might have a point. But Alonso is in a Ferrari and Vettel in an RBR which is really designed to run in clean air, qualify up front and then run away and stay in the clean air.

Really, Newey designed the perfect car for the current regs and Vettel is the perfect driver for that car. How he would fare in another car is just speculation.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #1277
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,120
Talking

Give me a ride , I'll out qualify all of them. With no tungsten weights needed. And I won't whine about making 17 million a year.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #1278
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,031
Heads up the race is live on CNBC at 7:30 eastern.
My cable company didn't show any listing for F1 on Sunday except the delayed race on NBC sports.
Too bad we're out of town until Sunday early afternoon. At least I have the dvr set for something....

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #1279
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
Heads up the race is live on CNBC at 7:30 eastern.
My cable company didn't show any listing for F1 on Sunday except the delayed race on NBC sports.
Too bad we're out of town until Sunday early afternoon. At least I have the dvr set for something....
Thanks. I'd searched my program listings and it wasn't even shown on that channel. I'm beginning to dread how NBC will screw up the Premier League. Their organization is dismal.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #1280
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Thanks. I'd searched my program listings and it wasn't even shown on that channel. I'm beginning to dread how NBC will screw up the Premier League. Their organization is dismal.
They're screwing up my outdoor motocross viewing already. The TV listings are sometimes the racetrack's name, sometimes the main sponsor's. only sometimes does the title include 'motocross', or 'moto'.

Not to mention first and second moto coverage is split between NBC, and Fueltv.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #1281
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Statistics can only mislead those who do not understand statistics. I am curious how you concluded my statistics show Alonso to be not so good a driver?
Look at the quote, I didn't say he was a bad driver, quite the opposite, I said he was a better race driver than qualifier. That is why I asked about Senna, he had 41 wins and 65 poles vs. Alain Prost who had 51/33, Senna was a better qualifier, arguably the best ever. Race driving requires planning, strategy, and knowledge, as well as skill, but qualifying is pure car control, the ability to move that car around the course in the shortest possible time. With a "hand grenade" qualifying engine and super sticky, 2 lap qualifying tires, Senna was on another level. And looking at Alonso with 32 wins and 22 poles compared to Vettel with 29/39, shows Vettel the better qualifier and Alonso the better racer.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #1282
wxwax
Excited Member

I just don't think you're allowing for the clear superiority of Vettel's machine. I don't believe one can look at the numbers in a vacuum.

There's not a shred of doubt that Vettel is driving a machine custom designed for qualifying and running at the front. It does both those things better than any machine in F1 and has done so for going on 4 years now. You simply must account for that when citing numbers.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #1283
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 939
Live streaming RULES

http://stream.nbcsports.com/f1/index...com/liveextra/

Love the live streaming, HD and no friggin commentary

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #1284
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I just don't think you're allowing for the clear superiority of Vettel's machine. I don't believe one can look at the numbers in a vacuum.
There's not a shred of doubt that Vettel is driving a machine custom designed for qualifying and running at the front. It does both those things better than any machine in F1 and has done so for going on 4 years now. You simply must account for that when citing numbers.
Anybody who wins or gets pole has a great car, I am simply saying certain drivers are better at qualifying or racing and I think those numbers prove it. This has more to do with the particular driver, not the car. Although the Mercedes does have a problem with tire wear this year, making that car a better qualifier, but this is the exception not the rule.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #1285
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Anybody who wins or gets pole has a great car, I am simply saying certain drivers are better at qualifying or racing and I think those numbers prove it. This has more to do with the particular driver, not the car. Although the Mercedes does have a problem with tire wear this year, making that car a better qualifier, but this is the exception not the rule.
When one car consistently outperforms the others at certain tasks, then you have no choice but to notch down the driver's impact.

I'm not saying that Vettel is a bad driver. I'm saying that in the Red Bull era which we are currently enduring, it's a bad idea to draw any conclusions about the qualifying skills of other drivers. Alonso's 12 poles in '04 and '05 didn't happen by themselves. Since then, other than his brief McLaren fiasco, he has been in mediocre cars.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #1286
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
The tire problem is solved.

Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #1287
wxwax
Excited Member

Looks like it's going to be a Mercedes/Red Bull battle. Ferrari seem to be the third-best team. Forecast is dry, so form will hold.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #1288
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,031
Alonso starting on hard tires... Massa too.
Could throw a wrench in red bull and Mercedes plans. Kimi and big John look good too

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #1289
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
http://stream.nbcsports.com/f1/index...com/liveextra/

Love the live streaming, HD and no friggin commentary
Not Available on DirectV, Tell me again why I pay over $100 per month for Basic Cable. Contracts up in Augest, can't wait to go kick that fucker off my roof.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #1290
wxwax
Excited Member

Rosberg the latest victim of pit road blundering. He doesn't make Q3 while his teammate grabs pole. They park him with 4 minutes left in Q2 and he's 2nd. While he sips a latte in the garage, 9 cars go by him. Ross Brawn's reputation takes a blow.

Funny thing is, with 30 seconds left in Q3, he was still 6th. He was taken out by the final laps of five cars.

Ferrari don't even make an attempt at pole, take Q3 on the intermediate tires.

Practices times suggest that the softs fall off by more than a second a lap after about 10 laps and get progressively worse. But we've seen time and again that certain teams -- Red Bull and Lotus come to mind -- find a way to get more laps than expected out of the softs. So I'm not sure that Ferrari will inherit the lead when the cars which are on intermediates finally pit.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan