Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
OaklandStrom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
GPS tracker, with no display

I'm trying to find something that will turn on with the ignition, and store GPS data as I ride. Basically, I want to know where I have been - not where I am.

I have searched for GPS trackers and all I can find are hidden, battery powered units, and ones that triangulate cell towers to give an approximate location. They seem to be geared towards catching a cheating spouse or companies tracking their drivers.

I want a small box under the seat, with an SD card, and an external antenna. At the end of the ride, I want to put the card into my computer and save the tracks.

Does this exist?
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
I'm trying to find something that will turn on with the ignition, and store GPS data as I ride. Basically, I want to know where I have been - not where I am.

I have searched for GPS trackers and all I can find are hidden, battery powered units, and ones that triangulate cell towers to give an approximate location. They seem to be geared towards catching a cheating spouse or companies tracking their drivers.

I want a small box under the seat, with an SD card, and an external antenna. At the end of the ride, I want to put the card into my computer and save the tracks.

Does this exist?
If you use an Android-powered smartphone, there is a free app that will provide the functionality you seek. The free app called My Tracks is produced by Google. With that app, you can record a track for your journey. When done, turn off the recording. The track can be saved to your phone's SD card, or you can upload the GPX file to Google Drive. You can open the GPX file in Garmin Mapsource, Garmin BaseCamp, or in Google Maps or Google Earth.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
OaklandStrom OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
If you use an Android-powered smartphone, there is a free app that will provide the functionality you seek. The free app called My Tracks is produced by Google. With that app, you can record a track for your journey. When done, turn off the recording. The track can be saved to your phone's SD card, or you can upload the GPX file to Google Drive. You can open the GPX file in Garmin Mapsource, Garmin BaseCamp, or in Google Maps or Google Earth.
I can do it with my iPhone as well. I was hoping for something automated.
But thanks for the info on My Tracks; I'll check it out.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,112
I use a small Sony GPS photo tracker to identify where I record digital photos. It also makes a track that downloads to my computer and displays on a map using the provided software. It has from time to time provided tracking backup for my Garmin. I don't know if Sony still makes it, but B&H no longer carries it. But this is similar, or perhaps even better.

byways screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 07:10 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Does this exist?
What you want is a "GPS Logger". I don't know of any with external antenna, but most are very small units that you could fit in any pocket. All have an on/off switch. None that I know of could go on and off from the bike ignition. Search for "Holux Logger".
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Garmin makes a GPS bicycle speedo that logs tracks...there is no removable SD card but the track can be easily downloaded via USB cable...the internal battery is rechargeable and will run for many hours but it would be easy to wire an onbike USB power supply if needed. The head is on a twist lock mount and is very easy to remove from the mount.

victor441 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 09:51 AM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,748
This was posted a little while back. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899050

The company sells data loggers, which seem to be available from their US distributors.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote