ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #3991
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Let me know a couple days in advance for a day ride on the weekend and I'll see if I can make it. I'm out close to Tracy, but the Peninsula is home.
My cousin is visiting and is renting a bike in SF. we are doing this ride on Saturday. THIS saturday the 7th. email me if you are interested. mendurmom69@gmail.com I know the email is weird but it's my real address lol i made that a long time ago and still use it for anything nonprofessional. email me if you have questions bc i doubt i will be checking here much! Hope you can make it.

ANYONE ELSE IS WELCOME! trying to show my cousin some california roads! The more, the merrier!!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #3992
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
My cousin is visiting and is renting a bike in SF. we are doing this ride on Saturday. THIS saturday the 7th. email me if you are interested. mendurmom69@gmail.com I know the email is weird but it's my real address lol i made that a long time ago and still use it for anything nonprofessional. email me if you have questions bc i doubt i will be checking here much! Hope you can make it.

ANYONE ELSE IS WELCOME! trying to show my cousin some california roads! The more, the merrier!!
Sounds like fun, but you're missing a SLEW of good roads!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #3993
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like fun, but you're missing a SLEW of good roads!
Show me!!!!! I haven't riden much of the East Bay! So any advice is welcome!

Edit: the current route says there are private or restricted roads. Does anyone know if some of these roads are inaccessible?
Old 07-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #3994
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Show me!!!!! I haven't riden much of the East Bay! So any advice is welcome!

Edit: the current route says there are private or restricted roads. Does anyone know if some of these roads are inaccessible?
Diablo is a waste and dangerous. The best roads over there are Mines, San Antonio Valley, Calaveras, Felter and a couple others but those are the highlights.

If you are heading to the Peninsula simply look on a map for a squiggly line. Literally thousands of miles there.

I might be heading up to Gold Lake on Friday, so I can't make this but seriously you can't go wrong anywhere on the peninsula. And if you are taking him for a ride in the Bay Area, you can't not have lunch at Alice's.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #3995
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Diablo is a waste and dangerous. The best roads over there are Mines, San Antonio Valley, Calaveras, Felter and a couple others but those are the highlights.

If you are heading to the Peninsula simply look on a map for a squiggly line. Literally thousands of miles there.

I might be heading up to Gold Lake on Friday, so I can't make this but seriously you can't go wrong anywhere on the peninsula. And if you are taking him for a ride in the Bay Area, you can't not have lunch at Alice's.
Well since we are renting, we are returning them te following day, so Alice's will be our breakfast place. but as for the other pine, mines and calaveras are on the schedule but I will look at the others! Thanks for the help!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #3996
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Well since we are renting, we are returning them te following day, so Alice's will be our breakfast place. but as for the other pine, mines and calaveras are on the schedule but I will look at the others! Thanks for the help!
You're route is actually pretty good, IMHO. I would probably skip the mt. diablo if it's just for the ride, but if you want to go up there for the view, that's cool. Your map shows restricted roads because you'll have to pay to go up mt. diablo. Morgan territory is free.

An alternate route would be to take morgan territory, then continue on marsh creek road and ygnacio valley through walnut creek and concord, get on bear valley road, then wildcat up to grizzly peak, take that south until you get to pinehurst, ride pinehurst to redwood, then redwood south to castro valley, then palomares road back to calaveras, where you start your east bay ride. That's a loop I often do.

I would personally avoid the peninsula like the plague on a summer saturday, and if the weather forecast is pretty hot, I'd also avoid this east bay loop. I'd wind my way up the north bay secondary roads and do something involving meyers grade and kings ridge, and probably including fairfax bolinas road and coleman valley. This would require doing small sections of hwy 1, which would be crowded, but it's worth it to me to take it reaaaaaal easy for a few sections of hwy 1, and then have a lot of fun on nice roads with minimal traffic.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #3997
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Hwy 17/Hwy 9 will be clogged with beach traffic headed towards Santa Cruz if you get there late in the day (after 10:00) This is just a given
when the heat inland gets high/extreme.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #3998
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Zak is a loon. He runs for fun over 10k feet and look where he lives. You can't possibly trust anything he has to say.

But seriously, Redwood and Pinehurst were really heavily patrolled the last I knew, and Marsh Creek has a lot of traffic and really isn't much fun IMO and Ignacio Valley is akin to driving in LA traffic.

In terms of the peninsula, if you avoid the "popular" roads like 92, 84, 9, and certainly 35, there are still more roads than you can count where there will be minimal if any traffic no matter the season or day of the week.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #3999
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Zak is a loon. He runs for fun over 10k feet and look where he lives. You can't possibly trust anything he has to say.

But seriously, Redwood and Pinehurst were really heavily patrolled the last I knew, and Marsh Creek has a lot of traffic and really isn't much fun IMO and Ignacio Valley is akin to driving in LA traffic.

In terms of the peninsula, if you avoid the "popular" roads like 92, 84, 9, and certainly 35, there are still more roads than you can count where there will be minimal if any traffic no matter the season or day of the week.

This from a guy named sally. . . . .

Marsh creek isn't much fun, and ygnacio valley just sucks, but I've never seen a cop on Pinehurst (and I've ridden it a lot). I'll take your word for it that the smaller roads on the peninsula are quiet, it's too traff-icky for me to get over there much.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #4000
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 849
Lake Leavitt ...

We made it ... four hours from Lower Haight via KLR ...

A map of the four mile high-clearance 4 wheel drive road to Lake Leavitt ...

Cary and Ryan ... Ryan met up with us by riding up and over Mt. Patterson on the 4th on his loaded for camping KLR, with big digital and film cameras ... a bad-ass ...

One of the water crossings on Lake Leavitt Road ...

We only saw seven bikes over three days ... our three KLRs, a couple of Hondas and these nice guys on KTMs ... ours were the only loaded bikes ...

Forgot to ask if they were inmates, but they rode up to say "hi" and chat a bit about fishing and places to ride ...

Lake Leavitt is around 9600 feet above sea level ... right at tree line ... this is the water crossing at the lake's outlet ...

It was not so crowded on the 4th that it wasn't super easy to find a beautiful place to camp ... the road kind of sheds travelers ... before every sketchy stretch there would be cars parked where the drivers had decided that discretion was the better part of valor ...

Oh well ... pics don't do it justice ... it's a three mile road off 108 ... long, steep, rocky and loose ... Bulls were dogged, handlebars touched the ground ... lots of fun ...

We did get to explore the very beginning of Hell's Half-Acre Road ... really pretty ... will be heading back up there to try to make my way from 108 to 4 ... Beginning to see why this was Ben Java's favorite ... super easy (quick) from the Bay Area ...

Lake Leavitt is in a "Wilderness Study Zone" ... ride it while you can, I guess ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn ...
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 04:08 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #4001
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
We made it ... four hours from Lower Haight via KLR ...

Lake Leavitt is around 9600 feet above sea level ... right at tree line ... this is the water crossing at the lake's outlet ...

It was not so crowded on the 4th that it wasn't super easy to find a beautiful place to camp ... the road kind of sheds travelers ... before every sketchy stretch there would be cars parked where the drivers had decided that discretion was the better part of valor ...

Oh well ... pics don't do it justice ... it's a three mile road off 108 ... long, steep, rocky and loose ... Bulls were dogged, handlebars touched the ground ... lots of fun ...

We did get to explore the very beginning of Hell's Half-Acre Road ... really pretty ... will be heading back up there to try to make my way from 108 to 4 ... Beginning to see why this was Ben Java's favorite ... super easy (quick) from the Bay Area ...

Lake Leavitt is in a "Wilderness Study Zone" ... ride it while you can, I guess ...

-- SFMCjohn ...

hey john and cary. great job getting out, up and away; very cool pics (and literally cool)....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #4002
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

-- SFMCjohn ...

Uh oh, I'd better get up there!!

Put Donnell Lake on your list.

larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #4003
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I ride up in that area sometimes-its not too far from Modesto.If anybody wants to ride send me a pm.The road into Leavitt Lake is actually part of the Pacific Crest hiking trail.If you walk up the hill on the road from the lake the marines train on an ice slope in the summer up there above the lake.The road above the lake used to be open about 3 or 4 miles more.I went in there last october and found out that sometimes it is illegal to have campfires at the lake because of fire danger.You have to check on the Toyabee National Forest website.There is a road about 1/2 mile east of the crest of Sonora Pass the runs toward Walker or comes back to hwy 108 through the front gate of the marine base.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #4004
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
hey john and cary. great job getting out, up and away; very cool pics (and literally cool)....
Hey Joel, thanks for posting!
Enjoyed your solo KTM 350 report from Mamouth:

Plan to learn to pack the KLR lighter, and follow in your footsteps!

God bless Huell Howser!

see you on the trail,
-- SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Uh oh, I'd better get up there!!

Put Donnell Lake on your list.

Hi larryboy!

Wow, cool dam ... much cooler than the dirt dam at Beardsley Res ...
Thanks for the tip, definitely going to try to find Donnell Lake ... only just
stopped at the overlook on 108 for the first time thanks to a tip from you ... funny
how I can ride by this stuff for years heading someplace else ...

Labor Day!

-- SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
I ride up in that area sometimes-its not too far from Modesto.If anybody wants to ride send me a pm.The road into Leavitt Lake is actually part of the Pacific Crest hiking trail.If you walk up the hill on the road from the lake the marines train on an ice slope in the summer up there above the lake.The road above the lake used to be open about 3 or 4 miles more.I went in there last october and found out that sometimes it is illegal to have campfires at the lake because of fire danger.You have to check on the Toyabee National Forest website.There is a road about 1/2 mile east of the crest of Sonora Pass the runs toward Walker or comes back to hwy 108 through the front gate of the marine base.
Hi oldxr,

I'll try to remember to send you a pm next time we're camping up there ... it was fun to meet up with our friend Ryan around the campsite ... I'd say campfire, but we could not find any wood [easily] at Leavitt Lake, so we went without a fire ... which was fine, although I usually enjoy a campfire ... Thanks for the tip about the road to the Marine Base ...

see you around the cold fire-ring,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 09:06 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #4005
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post

... but I've never seen a cop on Pinehurst (and I've ridden it a lot) ...
I used to ride Pinehurst a couple times a week for a few years, and I got waved down by a cop once. Oh, I think it was in 1976 or '77 ... back in those days the speed limit on Redwood Rd was 55 (ie basic speed law) from the golf course in Castro Valley to just south of Pinehurst. And there was no double line either.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote