ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #376
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Tell me, why on earth would you ride with trip computer page on?
Because in certain situations I prefer it. Obviously you don't so do as you want.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #377
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
See post 371. I used Basecamp and sent the file to the gps and it worked.

The problem must be your procedure because the file is fine.
Yes you used different GPS and different procedure so test was not applicable. I used Mapsource to download tracks and waypoints from same opened file and it worked fine so two tests indicate that file opens in both Mapsource and Basecamp and downloads from either, nothing wrong with file.

I am quite sure that in the past I have copied a gpx file to the 78 and it worked but this time it didn't. That is what I am trying to trouble shoot.

I will try it again, I was rushing to get to ride that day.

Just tried it again and it worked fine. Cockpit error!

Countdown screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 07:48 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #378
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Yes you used different GPS and different procedure so test was not applicable. I used Mapsource to download tracks and waypoints from same opened file and it worked fine so two tests indicate that file opens in both Mapsource and Basecamp and downloads from either, nothing wrong with file.

I am quite sure that in the past I have copied a gpx file to the 78 and it worked but this time it didn't. That is what I am trying to trouble shoot.

I will try it again, I was ruching to get to ride that day.
Good luck.

I give up.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #379
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
See post 365. copied .gpx file to 78 and it is there but no track in track manager.
I 'Imported' the file into Basecamp, then 'Exported' the file to the X:/Garmin/GPX directory on the microSD card in my 62s.

Not sure what the problem is, all went well.
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #380
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I copied a gpx file into the gpx folder in my 78. I can see the file there but the 78 does not see it, that is the tracks do not show on the map page.

I used Mapsourse to downloaded the tracks and waypoints and now there is a temp file in the gpx folder and all the tracks show on the track page and map page.

What am I doinig wrong?
The issue was copying a gpx file to 78. I tried it a few times and it did not work. Then yesterday it worked.

Not using MapSource or BaseCamp, you don't need them on new units, just MS Explore and copy file.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #381
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

There's an update available for the 62/78 series:

Changes from version 4.80 to version 4.90:
Added support for additional ActiveRouting cartography
Fixed issue with incorrect letter capitalization of certain map points
Fixed issue where wirelessly transmitting a geocache to another device would result in an error message when trying to view the received geocache in BaseCamp (62s, 62st, 78s, 78sc)

Use Garmin Web Updater to get it.

Seems to work well on my 62S. Hasn't bricked it yet, anyway.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #382
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
There's an update available for the 62/78 series:

Seems to work well on my 62S. Hasn't bricked it yet, anyway.
I am curious why you are still using the 62 when you have a Montana.

I haven't touched my 60 since I got the Montana. I use it even for gnarly mountain single track where it is at some risk of being broken.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #383
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I am curious why you are still using the 62 when you have a Montana.

I haven't touched my 60 since I got the Montana. I use it even for gnarly mountain single track where it is at some risk of being broken.
I use the 62S mostly for Geocaching. I don't want to clutter up the Montana with thousands of Geocaches since they're in the same category as waypoints and if I want to see user waypoints, I see Geocaches.

I sure wish Garmin would make a distinction between caches and user waypoints.

And the 62/78 series is almost as good as the Montana for many purposes. They're all light years ahead of the 60/76, so there's no real comparison there.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #384
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And the 62/78 series is They're all light years ahead of the 60/76, so there's no real comparison there.
This is the comparison I have fouind so far.

76 vs 78
Features worse on 78
Welcome Message
On 78 it must be created in PC & downloaded to 78, on 76 it is a page.
Loss of External Power
78 will not allow it to stay on after loss. Big issue for me.
Tracks Listing Order
78 does not lists Tracks Alpha/Numeric for easy editing like 76. It now does it by proximity which is good for riding. Big issue for Dual Sport event riders.
Archived Tracks Listing Order
78 does not lists Tracks Alpha/Numeric. It does it by proximity which is good for riding. Should be option.
Active Log
78 will not start a new Active Log every time Record is turned on. It just keeps adding points to one Active Log Track with long unreal straight lines if you move when off. 76 will. Big issue for me.
On/Off Recording Active Log
78 takes 4 Enters to get to Track Page Setup to view or change it. 76 takes 1 Enter, it shows status and is controllable on Track Page. Because of above N/A.
Back Up Active Log
The 78 will not record a backup Active Log on the Data Card, 76 will, it can’t be cleared from GPS and Card can be read if GPS fails. Big issue for me.
Uploading Active Log
Only current day uploads with MapSource, previous day’s files must be copied with Explore. 76 will upload them all at once. Just more work for nothing.
Autorouting Base Map
78 does not have one, 76 does. Useless in car.
USB External Power
78 can not be used with dead batteries running off USB power from PC. You do not need batteries for 76. Run on 12V from bike and USB from PC.

Features better on 78
Saved Track Memory size
78 has almost unlimited number of 2,000 point capacity.
Time setting
78 has Auto Time Zone to Current Location setting. This is new feature.
Active Log
78 lets you record but not show Active Log. This is new good feature for Dual Sport event riders.
Changing Map Set
Basically same button pushes but 78 Map status is much more clear. Not many people do it.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #385
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
I use the 62S mostly for Geocaching. I don't want to clutter up the Montana with thousands of Geocaches since they're in the same category as waypoints and if I want to see user waypoints, I see Geocaches.

And the 62/78 series is almost as good as the Montana for many purposes. They're all light years ahead of the 60/76, so there's no real comparison there.
Sound similar to me. I got a 78s first for riding, but wanted the Montana for the bigger screen. Was about to sell the 78s until my wife suggested we try flat watering kayaking. Well, since the 78 floats it made a good gps to bring along.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #386
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,328
Quote:

Suck all the waypoints/geocaches off the device using whatever software you so desire. I like LoadMyTracks. Save it as "geocaches.gpx".
Then wipe the waypoints (either delete-all in the list, or "delete all waypoints" from reset) and squirt in a different file with waypointy-waypoints.

I've got hundreds of .gpx files on my computer. If i"m going sledding at rabbit ears, i'll wipe the receiver and squirt in "rabbit ears.gpx" which has all the parking lots, radio towers, snotels, trail intersections, hazards, etc for that area. Get home, pull off any waypoints I may have dropped, download tracks, save it with my photos from the day, then wipe the receiver for the next trip.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #387
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post

Suck all the waypoints/geocaches off the device using whatever software you so desire. I like LoadMyTracks. Save it as "geocaches.gpx".
Then wipe the waypoints (either delete-all in the list, or "delete all waypoints" from reset) and squirt in a different file with waypointy-waypoints.

I've got hundreds of .gpx files on my computer. If i"m going sledding at rabbit ears, i'll wipe the receiver and squirt in "rabbit ears.gpx" which has all the parking lots, radio towers, snotels, trail intersections, hazards, etc for that area. Get home, pull off any waypoints I may have dropped, download tracks, save it with my photos from the day, then wipe the receiver for the next trip.
Thanks for the suggestion but it's a lot easier for me to just keep the 62S for the caches.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #388
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
This is the comparison I have fouind so far.

76 vs 78
Features worse on 78
Welcome Message
On 78 it must be created in PC & downloaded to 78, on 76 it is a page.

You only do this once - big deal.

Loss of External Power
78 will not allow it to stay on after loss. Big issue for me.

An advantage since the gps won't kill the batteries in it when you might need them most.

Uploading Active Log
Only current day uploads with MapSource, previous day’s files must be copied with Explore. 76 will upload them all at once. Just more work for nothing.

Use Basecamp to get them all at once - Mapsource is for the 60/76. But you know that already.

Autorouting Base Map
78 does not have one, 76 does. Useless in car.

If you rely on the Basemap to auto-route, you must be fairly desperate.

USB External Power
78 can not be used with dead batteries running off USB power from PC. You do not need batteries for 76. Run on 12V from bike and USB from PC.

Huh? I just took the batteries out of my 62S and it fired up when connected to a usb power source.

Features better on 78
Saved Track Memory size
78 has almost unlimited number of 2,000 point capacity.
Time setting
78 has Auto Time Zone to Current Location setting. This is new feature.
Active Log
78 lets you record but not show Active Log. (Or show them, if you prefer - it's your choice) This is new good feature for Dual Sport event riders.

62/78 lets you navigate tracks from the track archives. This is a huge advantage over the 60/76.

Changing Map Set
Basically same button pushes but 78 Map status is much more clear. Not many people do it.

Changing maps can take a fraction of the time it does on a 60/76 by using Profiles on the 62/78. You can create many Profiles, each with their own particular maps enabled, or set of attributes chosen, and it takes 10 seconds to switch between them.
See responses within your text.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #389
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,328
wait - 78 has no "Stay On" when external power is removed?

...Seriously.... the fuck?

That's gonna be hell on teh snowmobile (Batteryless).
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #390
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
wait - 78 has no "Stay On" when external power is removed?

...Seriously.... the fuck?

That's gonna be hell on teh snowmobile (Batteryless).
It gives you 30 seconds to choose for it to stay on but it can't be set to stay on automatically when the external power is cut off.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 08:06 PM