ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #391
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
See responses within your text.
Huh? I just took the batteries out of my 62S and it fired up when connected to a usb power source.
Perhaps I am missing something but when I plug my 78 (or any other new generation unit of customers) into USB from PC, the GPS turns off and it just behaves like a thumb drive, external memory etc. You can no longer use the GPS.

Very big PITA, plug it in, download something, unplug it (it goes off), Power on GPS, check what was loaded, plug it back into PC, do some other upload download, unplug it, Power on GPS again, etc, etc, etc,

With last generation units you plug them in and do all the work you want, unplug it and give it back to customer with power still on and they walk away checking it.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #392
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Perhaps I am missing something but when I plug my 78 (or any other new generation unit of customers) into USB from PC, the GPS turns off and it just behaves like a thumb drive, external memory etc. You can no longer use the GPS.

Very big PITA, plug it in, download something, unplug it (it goes off), Power on GPS, check what was loaded, plug it back into PC, do some other upload download, unplug it, Power on GPS again, etc, etc, etc,

With last generation units you plug them in and do all the work you want, unplug it and give it back to customer with power still on and they walk away checking it.
That's because the gps is set to serial mode so it goes into Mass Storage Mode automatically. You can change it to Spanner mode then when you plug it into a computer, it'll ask if you want Mass Storage Mode or not. But I don't think you can load files to it when it's not in MS mode.

And when you bitch about the gps shutting off when it's unplugged, you should understand that part of the reason it does this is that the gps needs to restart to see all the new files or changes you made, and reindex those changed files, etc. It's in the bootup process that it sets itself up properly.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #393
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's because the gps is set to serial mode so it goes into Mass Storage Mode automatically. You can change it to Spanner mode then when you plug it into a computer, it'll ask if you want Mass Storage Mode or not. But I don't think you can load files to it when it's not in MS mode.
Yes to all of the above. I set to Spanner, pluged in USB, clicked No, and GPS stays on but PC can't talk to it, in or out.

Not sure what this mode is good for. All it seems to be good for is powering 78 from USB 5V with USB interface detected.

While messing with this found another possible GIANT FLAW. I can't find a way to delete a single Waypoint?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #394
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Profile Question

I understand that Profiles let you change several of the various settings at one time, like Map.

Questions are:
What all variables can you change with a profile?
How do you create a new profile? (I created one by accident but have no idea what I set)
Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #395
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
While messing with this found another possible GIANT FLAW. I can't find a way to delete a single Waypoint?
Sorry to disappoint you. Keep looking. You can delete individual waypoints. Look at the offending waypoint; hit Menu button.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #396
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
I understand that Profiles let you change several of the various settings at one time, like Map.

Questions are:
What all variables can you change with a profile?
How do you create a new profile? (I created one by accident but have no idea what I set)
Menu/Menu/Setup/Profiles. You can have 10 profiles. If you click Create Profile it will copy the current profile to a new one called Profile X.

You can change almost anything with a profile but some elements are common over all Profiles. Play with it. It's a powerful feature.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #397
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint you. Keep looking. You can delete individual waypoints. Look at the offending waypoint; hit Menu button.
From waypoint page, with offending waypoint highlighted, push "Menu" and only choices are:
Spell Search
Sort
Select Symbol
Delete All
Which obviously apply to the page not waypoint.

If I open a waypoint, only choice is "Go", if I then puch "Menu" only choices are:
Review Point (shows data on waypoiont as expected)
Setup Map (goes to regulare map setup page for a reason only garmin understands)
Setup Marine (who cares)
Restore Defaults (too dangereous)
Old 07-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #398
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
.....found another possible GIANT FLAW. I can't find a way to delete a single Waypoint?
Its a no-brainer.

Go to 'Waypoint Mgr.', select your waypoint and press 'Enter'. When it's data information screen appears, press the 'Menu' button. 'Delete' is at the top of the list.

dlh62c screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 06:00 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #399
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Its a no-brainer. Go to 'Waypoint Mgr.', select your waypoint and press 'Enter'. When it's data information screen appears, press the 'Menu' button. 'Delete' is at the top of the list.
No Brainer? To delete a Waypoint on my 78:

Find
Scroll to "Waypoints"
Enter
Menu
Scroll to "Review Point"
Enter
Menu (only one option Edit Waypoint, would think delete would be an edit option)
Enter (Opens waypoint data page but there is no delete option)
Menu
Scroll to "Delete" (it is at top, also a lot of other nice options)
Enter
Scroll to "Yes"
Enter

To delete a Waypoint on 60/76:
Find
Scroll to "Waypoints"
Enter
Scroll to "Delete"
Enter
Scroll to "Yes"
Enter
This is no brainer, all very obvious choices.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #400
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

It's only a no-brainer if you do it as you should: go to Waypoint Manager, not Find.

You can't delete through the Find mechanism.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #401
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
No Brainer?
For someone who suggested that people buy the 78, you sure seem to be having quite a bit of trouble using one.
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #402
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

I just bought a 78S at a pawn shop.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #403
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
It's only a no-brainer if you do it as you should: go to Waypoint Manager, not Find.

You can't delete through the Find mechanism.
I'm getting the impression that he expects the 62/78 should work like the older models. Stuck in his ways and doesn't want to learn new things.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #404
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
I'm getting the impression that he expects the 62/78 should work like the older models. Stuck in his ways and doesn't want to learn new things.
Yes, it sounds like he'd only be truly happy if the 78 was identical in every way to the 76.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #405
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Using what WORKS!

Countdown is used to using what WORKS for his usage without alot of finagling.

Others on here are 'early adopters' who get to deal with all the things that don't quite work... yet. That's not to say they won't get there, but lots of things don't quite work like they used to and there doesn't seem to be good reasons WHY they were changed.

Sure, he, and I, would like some updates - newer receiver chips, standard memory cards, more and longer tracks and routes. But the user interface on the older units works pretty good... as does the package (case, screen size, resolution) on a number of units - 276c, 398/498, etc. Some slightly older units work reasonably well, just need bigger screen - 60/76 series come to mind.

And you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who's been involved with technology on motorcycles longer than Countdown... if you don't know why his user name is what it is, check it out.

You'd also be hard pressed to find somebody who has done more GPS usage than him.... look at the number of routes/tracks/events that he's been involved in.

I've been using GPS's on my bikes/sleds well over a decade for riding, and nearly a decade to route/plan/ride/distribute stuff.... lots of stuff. I tend to agree with most of his complaints on some of the newer units. Heck, I use units that nobody else is even thinking of running and making it work - look at the pic of my bike's GPS's on the early Mobius 10 ride report.

I'm experimenting with other even more exotic Garmin stuff, and sometimes it seems like they deliberately make it hard for us to use it for our purposes. Why? They already have the software to do what we want to do, why did they take it out? Sheesh! These are units for a different market segment, but if the software was right the hardware is more than capable of doing what we are asking of Garmin....

Oh, and I've sent those suggestions along to Garmin and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote