ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #106
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabOneUp View Post
I am going to make it happen Ben! I want to do a dirt ride and a DS ride if possible. That means I have to bring the trailer with two bikes and figure out parking. Paul sorta knows my skill set, so I am going to lean on him to see what rides I am capable of....thanks in advance Paul!
Great!! I dont think there will be an issue with parking.

What bikes are you bring, you going to get in Thursday Evening?
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #107
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Great!! I dont think there will be an issue with parking.

What bikes are you bring, you going to get in Thursday Evening?
Good news on the parking, thanks Ben. I will most likely bring the Terra and the TE250, though it will be difficult to leave the 511 at home. If I get in over my head I would rather be on the 250 because it is lighter and lower to the ground. I haven't thought about when I will get there. I will play it by ear. BreckTrek was my first group ride and it was a lot of fun. Looking very forward to this! If you need some help with anything just let me know. It's only a little over an hour from the house. It would be easy to shoot up and shoot back if you need help with set up or something.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #108
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,785
Quote:
Paul sorta knows my skill set, so I am going to lean on him to see what rides I am capable of....thanks in advance Paul!
Have you ridden anything in Taylor Park or Fourmile yet? If so, what trails, and did you enjoy them?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #109
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good news on the parking, thanks Ben. I will most likely bring the Terra and the TE250, though it will be difficult to leave the 511 at home. If I get in over my head I would rather be on the 250 because it is lighter and lower to the ground. I haven't thought about when I will get there. I will play it by ear. BreckTrek was my first group ride and it was a lot of fun. Looking very forward to this! If you need some help with anything just let me know. It's only a little over an hour from the house. It would be easy to shoot up and shoot back if you need help with set up or something.

Im sure the 511 is a blast but for taylor the 250 is probably more than enough, especially if it easier to touch the ground Dont want to fall off timberline

I bet you would have fun on one of Pablo's rides, those would be a great tour of the highlights of Taylor. Paul, on the rides you laid out, what do you think will be the most difficult areas??

Thanks for the offer to help, I think we should be good, the family and me are getting in Thursday so we can get everything together. See you down there!!

BTW If people can swing it, it will make the weekend a lot more enjoyable to get in on Thursday evening. Call Cathy at 719-395-2323 to get camping for Thursday, I think she was charging something like 10$ to get into a group tent site for WF people. You can get your registration packet with shuttle, raffle and BBQ ticket all ahead of time
Old 07-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #110
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,785
Quote:
Paul, on the rides you laid out, what do you think will be the most difficult areas??
Friday is a lot of exploring, so I don't know what to expect. Based on the other trails in the area, we could be facing some really challenging stuff. Some of the trails are in the Fossil Ridge area and some are in the Granite Mtn / Quartz Creek area. Granite Mtn has a section that's every bit as hard as the mean stuff on Timberline so it might get brutal.

Saturday gets harder as the day goes on. Lilypond is some of the easiest singletrack out there. Am. Flag Mtn is also mostly pretty easy as well. Then there is an optional bailout. After this we head over to Block and Tackle, which tends to scare some people. Then there will be another bailout which will go down some beautiful, but highly exposed trails. If you stick with the long route, Pearl Pass is next which isn't all that technical, but it beats the hell out of you with all the big rocks, and the last section is a real test of your cardio.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #111
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
Have you ridden anything in Taylor Park or Fourmile yet? If so, what trails, and did you enjoy them?
I hate to say it, but no. Almost all of it will be new to me. The Friday exploration sounds interesting and I would like to challenge myself, but I also don't want to hold the group up. I will take Ben's advise and leave the 511 at home. Is there a list or meeting when we get there that explains some of the rides and skill level needed?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #112
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
That would be nice, as I'll be needing someone to point me in the direction of the "noob" rides.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #113
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Is there a list or meeting when we get there that explains some of the rides and skill level needed?
So there are no official rides at Westfest that as an organizer I am putting on. I have no idea of the difficulty, or really about any of the rides people are going to go on, other then what is discussed ahead of time. It really is just people going out riding, a lot of which know the area and people can tag along with them. For that matter anyone, even if they are not attending westfest, can go out with any of the groups. None of the fees paid are for any rights to ride, only for the use of the campground and associated activities, if that makes sense to everyone

However, to help facilitate riders getting together and knowing people to ride with and what routes they are doing we are going to do this:

In the pavilion area there will be a table with maps, atlases, a big 44-36in printed MVU map of the Gunnison NF area hanging on the wall, markers for people to highlight routes, and then a white board.

The plan is people can use this area to discuss routes and see the rides on paper. Then guys that are going on a ride and dont mind people tagging along will put their ride up on the white board, listing ride type (dirt, street, DS, etc) difficulty, approximate mileage or time needed for the ride, number of people they want in their group and the time they are leaving. Everyone can then look at the board to see if there are any rides they want to go on and write their name in the sign up area of the white board. Any questions about the route can be talked over with who ever is leading the ride.

I hope this methods helps people link up, meet new riders, and get in on the riding they want. As well as letting them know details about the rides and what to expect.

There are several people that said they will be leading a ride already and we will make sure they are listed on the board Thursday Night, so I think there should be a pretty good choice of rides right from the start from street/gravel to dirt.

Anyone that has specific questions about the area, wanting route suggestions, people to ride with, or whatever can certainly ask me and I'll give you any info you want, or if I dont know direct you to someone that will.

Clear as mud

COXR650L screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 07:00 AM
Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #114
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Also a little about registration and what to expect when you get there:

As I have said before I hope most people will be able to get in Thursday evening.

In the pavilion there will be a registration table were people need to sign in, get their raffle/meal/shuttle tickets and pick up their T-Shirt (YOU DID ORDER A TSHIRT RIGHT). This will be from about 5-7. You can ask any question about whats going on, check out the ride board, etc.

For the people getting in Friday, when you get in just set up camp, check out the board and get in with whatever ride you want, put your own ride on the board, just hang out, or go out and ride on your own with a group of friends. Around 3-5 we will be doing registration so you can sign in and pick up your stuff. We still need to finalize the shuttle times, but it will probably be 4-9.

Then Saturday we will have the BBQ around 5:30, the raffle and then music from 8-10.

I doubt I will be doing much riding so I will probably be there most of the time if you need anything or have questions, if I am not my wife and parents are helping with the event and someone will be there. In camp site #2.......................
Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #115
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,685
Thanks for the reminder on the T shirt!

Growing older every day but never growing up.

NMOHVA, COHVCO, AMA
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #116
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So there are no official rides at Westfest that as an organizer I am putting on. I have no idea of the difficulty, or really about any of the rides people are going to go on, other then what is discussed ahead of time. It really is just people going out riding, a lot of which know the area and people can tag along with them. For that matter anyone, even if they are not attending westfest, can go out with any of the groups. None of the fees paid are for any rights to ride, only for the use of the campground and associated activities, if that makes sense to everyone

I dont know if this took some people by surprise, but this is how all previous WFs were run and how most rallies are done. This does not mean that you will not be able to find people to ride with or rides that fit your style, these are social gathering and people are more then open to have new riders go out with them. The point of a rally is to meet new people and ride

Paul has been really good about posting up info on the rides he was going to do, maybe other people that are willing to do a ride can post up some route details, etc.

I know there were a few people a while ago that talked about being willing to do some big bike rides, maybe we can start posting some more route ideas and rides people wanted to do at WF

COXR650L screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 10:23 AM
Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #117
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Ride Leads

Is mtech1950 going to lead a ride
Old 07-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #118
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Is mtech1950 going to lead a ride
Sy, why in the world would you want to know that? Is getting lost and running off a cliff part of your adventure ride itinerary?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #119
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
I was hearing the Teocalli was closed last summer. Part of why I posted my post was to see if anyone had current info on it. .

Hair,

I will know for sure this weekend if Teocalli is open...........

Sy,

So who was responsible for you guys getting lost at the Canyonlands ride in Ruin Park................
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #120
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,752
Quote:
Sy,

So who was responsible for you guys getting lost at the Canyonlands ride in Ruin Park................
This is my story and I'm sticking to it, We weren't lost, it was a 10mi scenic detour through Beef Basin and the way we roll it only took 12.5 min
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote