Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #91
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
The Shootout Hacienda in "The Wild Bunch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Nope not on that trip in my RR. The bike had street tires on it during that first trip. However, on my second trip, I went up to Santo Madero again and spied several ruins with my binos. These ruins had dirt roads leading to them. These were easy to locate on my topo map from Santo Madero, so I shot an azimuth to them from there, found the dirt roads when I got to the low ground and had no problem getting to these smaller ruins on the bike with the dual tires. For the first trip the dirt road to the hacienda was in pretty good condition, IMO, heading south until reaching that ejido shack. Nobody home. From there went west on foot because things turned to crap. I had asked at El Farol about getting a horse, they told me they could arrange for that, but in the end I got to the hacienda by other means (PM'ing the details...).
As an epilogue to the RR I'll be posting up photos of this whole subject, even though it occured first before we took off into the dirt.

The hacienda was asleep before Hollywood got there, and now has returned to a somewhat eternal state of slumber.

Some funny things happened there (dog attack! run away!) but I'll get to it later.

There is a very small ADV club I would think that has made the trek to find this famous filming location - which is out in the middle of No-wheres-ville Coahuila.

Got your PM, alls I can say is HIGH FIVE for you!

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 10:50 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #92
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Go[t] your PM, alls I can say is HIGH FIVE for you!
Only you and Schizz know that little bit of trivia

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #93
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
SR welcome to the north country! If you're in Ashland head over to the Big Top for Great Big Sea this weekend for a fun show.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #94
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

The 2012 Edition

Go Full Screen

Go Full Screen

Walter Bishop, the overall event organizer, hires a pretty good videographer to capture the complete event.

This is last year's video.

Walter, Hector, and Miguel, 3 great guys I met on this year's ride, are prominent in the video.

It appears they didn't have the good fortune with the overall weather pattern that we had this year. But you got to run through what nature gives you in the Sierra Madre!

Quite the ride

Quite the party

And our 2013 edition was no different

If you watch this video (and the one coming out soon for our ride last week) and you love dirt riding, you'll have the itch to be part of the 2014 edition of this ride!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #95
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Miguel of Durango

From the 2012 video, this is Miguel, good friend of SR's and now one of my good buds, is a businessman and ATV/moto mechanic in Durango.

He's one of the event leads and rode sweep on this year's ride, getting in near midnight both on Friday and Saturday nights.

He and SR came up to San Antonio so SR could pick up a bunch of moto related gear he had sent to my house, and to put the hitch carrier on SR's vehicle so they could get SR's new WR450 on the back and take it home to México.

Miguel, SR, I, Schizzman, and a bunch of other ADV inmates then went to the track in Austin for the first MotoGP at Circuit of the Americas, won by Marc Marquez.

Interesting Miguel Fact: He and his cousin built a gyrocopter as kids, when their dads found out, they took it apart because the dads were convinced the kids would stop at nothing and kill themselves in the process of getting it off the ground.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #96
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
SR welcome to the north country! If you're in Ashland head over to the Big Top for Great Big Sea this weekend for a fun show.
Thanks Powerehouse. I had to Google that, but I figured it out. I may check that out Saturday night. We went out fishing today with a good buddy of mine on lake Superior and caught several big (3-5 pound) small mouth bass. Lots of fun! Hijack over.

I do love that video from last years ride. It's so well done it's just fun and entertaining to watch! The Producer/Editor Luis Del Campo did a great job! It sounded like he is going to make a video for this years event as well?

I have been trying for 2 days to load up another Google Earth video but I keep timing out. I really like Ashland but I have to say, we have faster internet service back in Durango.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #97
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Go Full Screen

Go Full Screen

Walter Bishop, the overall event organizer, hires a pretty good videographer to capture the complete event.

This is last year's video.

Walter, Hector, and Miguel, 3 great guys I met on this year's ride, are prominent in the video.

It appears they didn't have the good fortune with the overall weather pattern that we had this year. But you got to run through what nature gives you in the Sierra Madre!

Quite the ride

Quite the party

And our 2013 edition was no different

If you watch this video (and the one coming out soon for our ride last week) and you love dirt riding, you'll have the itch to be part of the 2014 edition of this ride!

What a Great video! Wow!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #98
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Take us there we are all waiting for the start of the epic dirt ride........

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #99
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Take us there we are all waiting for the start of the epic dirt ride........
Here we go!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #100
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Eve of Destruction

But you tell me
Over and over and over again, my friend
Ah, you don't believe
We're on the eve
of destruction

- Barry McGuire

Thursday afternoon, the day before the ride:

The 2013 ride HQ was once again the Holiday Inn of Durango

With the ride starting at 7am the next day, Friday, we rolled over to the Holiday from the Gobernador via taxi, and found the flood of ATVs - but no bikes! Were we to be the only ones on motos? Not fair!

You can always find a Walter Bishop event becuase where Walter goes, the Green Monster goes

SR probably has a better idea than I on how many of these were entered in the Ruta:

One of the first thoughts that came into my mind was "somebody around here has a LOT of money to spend on toys!"

Most of things were decked out - no expense spared. Farkles and sound systems and fancy looking suspension packages.

Wait! Why aren't we going to travel in comfort too? We have to do this on dirt bikes?!?

What if it rains? These guys even bring a roof over their head in addition to unfair traction!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #101
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

I've Got This Terrible Gas Problem

Next thing I notice is all these golf carts have tons of gas cans strapped on everywhere. Many were using the popular Rotopax can systems.

On motos, we had to come up with an alternative plan. Read: SR came up with the alternative plan. Strap 2 five gallon plastic cans together and put them on the event trailer - we would be gassing up in Mexiguillo from those.

Pemex stations? Not on our route in the Sierra Madre

Barrel gas from the ejidos? Could't count on it and wouldn't bet the outcome of the ride on it.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #102
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

You can see a double-stack Rotopax on the back of this rig:

Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #103
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

I also began to notice all the ATVs had high tech light systems

Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #104
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,302
Tricepilot's México: Off-Road Through the Sierra Madre From Durango to Mazatlán

Trice. When Hardy, the nephews and I were running the mountain dirt roads south of Monterrey 3-4 years ago we came across a group of about 40 UTV's decked out with camping gear, ice chests, but wearing full moto gear. Harnessed in, too. They were flying low. Getting after it. I thought to myself "Self. What the hell are you doing on a KLR?" But then it passed. Gotta be two wheels.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #105
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 750
I'm in! Cool video using professional edition of GE following the tracks! Now I want that!!!

WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote