Oddometer: 204
Bravo

Awesome report and video, me likes.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #137
thoopla
n00b

Oddometer: 7
when to go?!

great report. i've been trying, badly, to arrange something like this in east europe/russia with a mate for ages. is this route still good? when's the best time of year to go?
thoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #138
WimDH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Hey Thoopla,

I'm going to do more or less the same in 2015.
My plan is to go in July for about 30 days. I think it's the best period.
You can choose between snow and mosquitos, I chhose the mozzies ;-)
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #139
Ugur Bilgili
TB2BBL

Oddometer: 3
Nice trip, thank you for sharing.
Ugur Bilgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #140
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
It's been two years since I went on this trip and every time I see someone posting a reply I'm rejoicing. Thanks again for your numerous replies and kind comments (although I'm a rare poster ).

About the time to visit... Between June and August you have to be really unlucky to see snow.

I am in Murmansk as I'm writing this and my friends here told me that the last summer was pretty bad; even in July the temperatures only rarely rose above 10C. On the other hand, this summer the north has been hit by a heat wave and since I'm here, it has never been colder than 20C.

So while the general advice would be that July usually is your best bet, there's no guarantee at all.

Another factor for some is the polar day, when the sun never sinks below the horizon. In Murmansk, it's from 18 May to 24 June. I arrived later and, frankly, it's not really a difference, since the sun sinks behind mountains anyway and it's still bright now at midnight. But of course, by the end of August, it will get dark and cold again by night.

Regarding the mosquitoes, don't think about bringing stuff from your home. The karelian mosquitoes just laughed at my spray from Switzerland, I just rubbed myself in what they thought to be spices. Buy the real stuff in a Russian shop, like рефтамид (Reftamid). It's the military formula and is available in chocolate taste (), but it works incredibly good. Also spray your clothes and socks, because otherwise they bite through it!

In comparison to two years ago, the main road M18 between Piter and Murmansk is getting better and better. There are still a few dozen kilometres of bumpy roads and road works where it's only gravel, but pretty much every bike can handle it. So enjoy your trip to the north! :-)
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #141
WimDH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thumb Good to hear from you

Some pictures would be nice

Did you take the same route as last time?

I will do it (in 2 years) the other way around: starting from Norway, the To Murmansk, Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
The rest is not decided yet (I'm a slow planner).

I hope you have a great time there .

You must speak fluent Russian by now .

Cheers!
--
W
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #142
fonsecarlos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I have read it again mainly because of the 2012 trip to the Balkans.

I wasnt aware of your closing toughts. I like it a lot. It was a great ending for the report.

You have a magnificent approach to bike travel,and a wonderful way of writing it, a kind of wisdom.

I suppose you were again in Russia this year.

When do begin to write it?

Thanks
fonsecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #143
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_bear View Post
I am planning a trip from Cologne, Germany to Vladivostok, Russia. The actual route has not been set through europe, and after the Urals, you just point the bike east until you run out of land. Departure date is around 1 June 2013.

So far, I have not decided on any particular countries to get to Russia, but I think I will avoid Belarus. Ukraine and Russia will be some pain enough all by themself. Some stops along the way are fine, with a fixed date of 30 June/1 July to be in Vladivostok. The bike will be stored in Vladivostok or shipped back to Moscow.

My partner has decided to bail out so I am looking for any riding partner(s) for all or any portions of the trip. I expect motel/hotel in western Russia and more camping the farther east one goes. I have a Suzuki DR650 and will not be a speed demon. I would expect a daily 600-675Km/375-425Mi per day average to go the distance. The general route would be to follow the Trans Siber Railway.

If anyone is interested in the trip or parts of it, PM me with email address. I speak English, pretty good Spanish, and beginner Russian. I can get along on signs, map, and the Moscow Metro. After that, it is cave man talk...

I hope some are interested, I will try to post a ride report and spot tracking as well. Whatever you think, this will be an adventure for someone from USA, and create memories.

Comments?? Advice?? Whatever...
wb
If your dream becomes a reality, you will enjoy it immensely.

I, too, am looking to go on a trip through Russia, and will start from Bulgaria. I will most probably only have a month, and will look into storing my bike in Russia, and return the following year to continue. I am fluent with the language, and previously have been traveling throughout the country as far as Krasnoyarsk. So if you still plan to ride through Russia, keep me in the loop :) I live in Montana for the most part.

Awesome ride report AlpineGuerilla, I enjoyed your perspective immensely!!
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote