Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #16
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
Interesting. How much does this weigh?
Looks to be about 230 lbs based on website (kg's).
Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #17
metrakit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
alot of people here is know how to weld, so why not just weld a lift table. Its not just saving you some dollars, but also you are learning some, its fun to fab your own useful crap, and also, you can have it just how you want it. Bigger,better.. maybe not faster.
metrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
rick505
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Interesting, I attempted to order and have it shipped to see that cost and get this:

ATTENTION NEEDED!
We're sorry. The following item(s) are no longer available:
Big Red Motorcycle Jack

Rick
rick505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick505 View Post
Interesting, I attempted to order and have it shipped to see that cost and get this:

ATTENTION NEEDED!
We're sorry. The following item(s) are no longer available:
Big Red Motorcycle Jack

Rick
I just tried and it didn't say that. Got all the way to where I would put in my CC info. Shipping was $129.58

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
Langanobob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrakit View Post
alot of people here is know how to weld, so why not just weld a lift table. Its not just saving you some dollars, but also you are learning some, its fun to fab your own useful crap, and also, you can have it just how you want it. Bigger,better.. maybe not faster.
+1

And the less garbage Chinese equipment we buy, the better off we all are.

Bob
Langanobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Not everyone has welding and fabrication equipment or the space for it...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #22
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
I seriously doubt I could source all the steel, fasteners, casters, hydraulics, and paint for what they're charging for a completed project. I agree with you about learning, but I think saving money is unlikely.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
CENTURION
THE DUDE ABIDES!!!

Oddometer: 91
Talking Pep boys lift

Well I went into my local Pep Boy's this morning and ordered one, no shipping charged and the guy said it will be here next Monday, would have been by Friday but the holiday prevented that. Will post if there is a problem.

1975 R75/6
CENTURION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
I've often considered a lift, but I just can't give up the floor space in the garage.
I'm kind'a in the same boat as you and need the garage space, but here's my solution:

No matter what kind of wheel chock you chose--the one it comes with or something more substantial--mount it with hardware easy to release, either carriage bolts or standard bolt with a wing nut. When you're done working (and obviously won't be using it again, say in the next 12 hours or so) remove the chock, lower the lift, and move it to the middle of your parking area. My truck rolls right over the HF lift with no clearance issues, and it stays out of my way--no barked shins!!!--underneath the truck.

Of course, if your personal ride is a Ferrari or Corvette, you're not gonna have the clearance. Solution is to trade me your exotic for my F150. Done!
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #25
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
For those with space issues, how about you set it in the slab? Cut out with a cement saw. Dig to the depth that you want. Pour in some concrete. Set it so that its flush. No clearance issues and you can park stuff on it. or above it. Of course you will want to plan on staying at that location for a while

Looks crazy slick. See this garage:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=203554
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #26
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,918
Bad juju & Weekendwarrior, I've considered those options. The thing that holds me back is, where I live, a couple months of the year a lift under a vehicle or recessed into the floor would have melting snow/salt dripping on it. Probably not a good situation. Clearly the solution is a garage with another stall or two, but that's not going to happen on our tiny lot. :-)
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 AM   #27
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Would not have thought of that living in Texas. You would need drain in the bottom and remove it from the Hole when its nasty out.... likely the time when you need it most.

The choice is obvious.... the Cage lives in the driveway and the bikes live in the garage! Make the wife or kids clean your windows in the morning

Well, on second thought a house with a bigger lot and attached garage to park the cars as well as a separate shop for the bikes would likely be a better option. My actually be cheaper than a divorce if you mention to wife its her job to scrape the windows in the cold!
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #28
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Bad juju & Weekendwarrior, I've considered those options. The thing that holds me back is, where I live, a couple months of the year a lift under a vehicle or recessed into the floor would have melting snow/salt dripping on it. Probably not a good situation. Clearly the solution is a garage with another stall or two, but that's not going to happen on our tiny lot. :-)
Dave, don't you mean like 6 months out of the year! BTW great tag line.
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #29
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
What about sinking it, but adding just a tiny bit of a lip (or slope) around the pit to keep water out, and fabbing a cover for the hole? Seems like runoff could be managed. But it's a lot easier for me to sit way over here and spend your time and money :)
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #30
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
$191.92

Currently the Pep Boys have a 20% reduction on all orders over $125 with the code SUMMER20. Just ordered one to be picked up at my local store to save the shipping and it cost $191.92 before taxes. I let you know how it looks.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/538868/801/

THE FINE PRINT.......
Save 20% on Online Orders of $125 or More
Use promotional code SUMMER20 at checkout to receive discount Valid on all regularly priced or sale in-stock part or accessory purchased online. Enter promo code SUMMER20 in cart when purchased online to receive discount. Offer is not valid in combination with any other offers, rebates or discounts; not available to Pep Boys' Fleet & Commercial accounts; does not apply to labor, special order merchandise, tires or the purchase of gift cards. Valid online until 11:59 pm EST on 7/24/13. Online orders scheduled for in-store pick up must be completed in store by closing on 7/24/13 for discount to apply.
ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote