Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #2762
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
Yikes

This one kinda stood out...kinda reminded me of something

Note to self: next time you go for a stroll down the canal take a baseball bat to smack the stupid cyclists who keep dinging their bells @ u

I have a bike setup for bike paths. It has a bell on it and I ring it now and again when people need a heads up. I gave it a go one day last year at a group for some reason or another. Some tantrum of a woman snapped around, aimed her index finger at me and screamed at the top of her lungs I HEARD THE GODDAMN BELL!

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #2763
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hurt-car-hits-bicyclists-arkansas-19571537

Just a very sad story. An apparently inattentive driver and suddenly there are seven people in the hospital all but one are kids...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #2764
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hurt-car-hits-bicyclists-arkansas-19571537

Just a very sad story. An apparently inattentive driver and suddenly there are seven people in the hospital all but one are kids...

Arkansas's cyclist/vehicle accident statistics just went up in one fell swoop.
In 2011 a Colorado cyclisttravelling through Arkansas was killed.

The LAB will surely award another Arkansas town as bicycle friendly; soon.
They should present ghost bikes as awards.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #2765
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and I keep saying the only reason I don't 'share the road' are other road users. IF I didn't have to keep an ear on oncoming traffic and help them manage where to pass me, I'd ride a lot narrower. Sadly, life has proven that other road users NEED the help managing their use of the road around cyclists.

I really wish I didn't have to constantly wonder if the next car passing me is going to be polite, clueless, or an asshat.

Really. I do!

[qoute]Valid point about being in a group verses long line. Same idea, just different method of going about it. Bunched up would make easier passing, though you would still get into the same problem if the group is long enough. Long line is probably better when there is a bike lane available.
Finally! Someone 'gets it.' A group (8+ bicyclists) IS actually safer in a clump despite all the 'those cyclists are assholes 'cause they're blocking traffic' types.

M[/QUOTE]

You do realize you are training them to do the opposite of what you want? That just paints you as an obstacle they have to avoid and leads to the actions you don't like. Thus both sides feed into the cycle.

Rather, I think they need to be one that is of sharing the road, not an obstacle. One where drivers know that they will get by and soon. This would promote the passing you want to happen.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #2766
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8zZ...e_gdata_player
Old 07-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #2767
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I don't understand how bicyclists can tolerate the risks of riding on the street. Sharing the road with a bunch of inattentive morons is bad enough on a motorcycle, a device which in most cases can keep up with the flow of inattentive morons. Being on a vehicle that can't keep up with traffic (and therefore being at the mercy of said traffic to avoid you) doesn't seem terribly wise.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #2768
NYHatterasTrail
Banned

Oddometer: 58
My town is full of (an inordinate amount) of people that ride their bicycles and insist on taking center lane on the mountain roads, be it cars, mc's or trucks behind them. I have actually had to pass them on a double yellow while in my cage --- and they get extremely angry at this.
NYHatterasTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #2769
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunned on Dot Net View Post
... I have actually had to pass them on a double yellow while in my cage --- and they get extremely angry at this.
Get a motorcycle, ease your rage...
Old 07-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #2770
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunned on Dot Net View Post
I have actually had to pass them on a double yellow while in my cage --
Someone held a gun to your head and said "Pass or I'll paint the dashboard grey and red"?

Onederer screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 10:13 PM
Onederer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #2771
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
I don't understand how bicyclists can tolerate the risks of riding on the street. Sharing the road with a bunch of inattentive morons is bad enough on a motorcycle, a device which in most cases can keep up with the flow of inattentive morons. Being on a vehicle that can't keep up with traffic (and therefore being at the mercy of said traffic to avoid you) doesn't seem terribly wise.
It has it's plusses and minuses.

As long as you can manage to stay out of the way of the inattentive morons for a few seconds, then you're good. They run by you and are gone (at least until the next one comes along ).

OTH, if you have a motor, then you are moving along with them, and you may be dealing with that inattentive moron for miles.

Which is better?

filmfan screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 05:19 AM
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #2772
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Nothing is going to change until traffic enforcement is changed from revenue generation to safety enforcement.

All sides have their assholes, bicyclists , car, motorcycles. But in terms of numbers I have met on the road, I have more bad encounters with bicycles.

I commute everyday about 37 miles one way to work on my motorcycle, and can say I probably meet 1 car a day that acts like and ass, but I'm riding on the roads with hundreds of cars. I would have to say the half or more of all bicyclists I met on the road act like an ass.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #2773
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
677 people were killed riding bicycles in 2011.
4612 people were killed riding morotcycles in 2011.

What's the perceived danger vs real danger?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #2774
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
Yikes

This one kinda stood out...kinda reminded me of something

Note to self: next time you go for a stroll down the canal take a baseball bat to smack the stupid cyclists who keep dinging their bells @ u

I have a bike setup for bike paths. It has a bell on it and I ring it now and again when people need a heads up. I gave it a go one day last year at a group for some reason or another. Some tantrum of a woman snapped around, aimed her index finger at me and screamed at the top of her lungs I HEARD THE GODDAMN BELL!
Ringing your bell is like someone honking their horn in a car. Just be patient and wait for the path to be wide enough to overtake. A few minutes getting to your destination will be no big deal.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #2775
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
Nothing is going to change until traffic enforcement is changed from revenue generation to safety enforcement.

All sides have their assholes, bicyclists , car, motorcycles. But in terms of numbers I have met on the road, I have more bad encounters with bicycles.

I commute everyday about 37 miles one way to work on my motorcycle, and can say I probably meet 1 car a day that acts like and ass, but I'm riding on the roads with hundreds of cars. I would have to say the half or more of all bicyclists I met on the road act like an ass.
So, what is "acting like an ass" on the part of these cyclists in your estimation?

Blowing stop signs?
Going through intersections against traffic lights?
Riding three and more abreast?
Just being in the roadway when you think they shouldn't be?
All the above?

There are valid reasons for at least some of these actions which have been commented on profusely in the thread.

For the invalid reasons, I have no problem at all with cops citing cyclists when it's justified. It could well reduce some of the "asshole" behavior, since infractions ticketed while riding a bicycle do count on your driving license record.

Aside from all that, there are what, maybe 10 times more cars than bicycles on the road? The factor is probably bigger than that, so the asshole per vehicle ratio may not be all that different. Maybe it's just that they're more visible on bikes.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote