Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #46
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,838
ummm gpx crumble trail ,is that like a trail of all the places my bike tips over , i have a log on the gps but don't reall know how to print it out ,i am a dumb prick
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #47
Wotnext
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Johannesburg - Place to crash and a meal

Hi there

Not sure if you will get here, as you may take the West coast to Namibia and onwards. But if you are planning to come through Johannesburg on you return North, PM me and you can sleep in my lounge and have a meal and a couple of beers on me.
Wotnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #48
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

hello wotnext

wotnext is namibia ,botswana, zambia ,zimbabwe,mozambique,malawi ,so no heading back to jo'burg ,i have heard there are riots in egypt again as the government has been kicke dout by the military ,which is a good thing ,maybe ,the new government might maker it easier for bikes to enter ,just maybe,but that is months awy so hopefully everything will be settled back down by then

i had my yellow fever shot yesterday so feel like shit today, so i will bore you with some more pics

Rhodes memorial ,that is the guy they named rhodesia after , did a lot, the rhodes scholar being one of them

a little track through the hills in cape town

hout bay market

beach side living

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 03:02 AM
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #49
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

not so great day today

I went to buy a new tank bag today and forgot to lock my top box ,,i was gone for about 10 minutes in broad daylight ,gone is my lovely new tent ,my luxury lite camp bed ,my new unused wet weather gear ,leatherman, all my bike paperwork in a folder and my first aid kit ,fuckers ,they left me a spare air filter ,a packet of cable ties and a spare rear sprocket,ouch ,thats $600 down the gurgler, welcome to Africa

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:08 AM
Old 07-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #50
Eyore
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanoeguy View Post
I went to buy a new tank bag today and forgot to lock my top box ,,i was gone for about 10 minutes in broad daylight ,gone is my lovely new tent ,my luxury lite camp bed ,my new unused wet weather gear ,leatherman, all my bike paperwork in a folder and my first aid kit ,fuckers ,they left me a spare air filter ,a packet of cable ties and a spare rear sprocket,ouch ,thats $600 down the gurgler, welcome to Africa
Sorry to hear that, what a bummer. How will you manage to replace the bike paperwork?
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #51
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
My bad. Was meant to type bread crumb but you got the message.

Few ways to do this, but an easy way is to open the route in mapsource. Then click 'view in google earth' and take a screen shot (print screen button) and upload that to smugmug
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #52
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,449
Quote:
That sucks balls mate.
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 AM   #53
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
F*ck!!! I hate that.....

take care Dave, don't let this get you down. Hopefully the paperwork can be replaced.

g

griffo1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #54
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

my pizza oven gets a test fire

today i met up with Francois from wild dog forum (Stofdonkie) we had lunch down at the waterfront and he sold me his tent for a good price ,so at least there are nice people about here ,actually most people here in SA have been very good to me ,so i got back and thought i better test this pizza oven
the wood i had was pretty green so it smoked like a bitch and didn't get real hot ,but i had to try a pizza any ways ,

how would driving one of these around the place be for a bit of fun
Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #55
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Let me know if you need help with bike papers, no problem
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #56
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

got my papers, no probs

thanks sonny boy
i went down to civic centre and got a very helpful guy and he sorted it for me ,i had to change my address to cape town and fork over R320, it hen went and got 3 copies of the papers and got them laminated ,and will have them spread out ,i will remember to scan them and keep them on my email if i manage to lose more
road to nowwhere ,central cape town

i think i like this for my new travel bed ,what do you reckon ,might need a trailer though
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #57
Wotnext
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Bummer

Hey Thecanoeguy

Sorry to hear you won't be passing through Jo'burg. Even more sorry to hear about the theft of your stuff. This is just one of the things you will need to be careful about throughout Africa. The discrepency between the "haves" and the "have nots" is just so large that the temptation to help oneself is just too strong.

Safe travels and I will be following your progress through your ride report...THANKS.
Wotnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #58
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

yes stupid me

i am normally red hot on keeping everything locked up ,but as Tony Abbott says "shit happens" got a nice new tent any ways , so the first major pizza night here at "The Big " which is a backpackers i am staying at, here in cape town , is tomorrow night, so today i made myself usefu,l and build a new stair railing, so no one would fall to their death ,the other railing had rotted off
only had a crappy hand saw and a leatherman ,so am happy with it
Old 07-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #59
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

the old biscuit mill market

this is a must do on saturday morning if your in cape town

home of the love sandwich ,probably the best sandwich ever

i am out of Dodge on monday ,we had pzza night last night ,got pissed and make home made wood fired pizza , my job is done here ,next stop Namibia
Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #60
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

finally on the road again

while apcking my gear i realised that when those nasties stole my stuff from my top box they also got my new DID x ring chain ,my tyre levers and my test meter ,so all up it must be over $600 , so after a visit to Adventure Rider in Cape town i had a new set of those fancy bead breakers levers , but no chain or meter ,also like to thank the team at the BIG backpackers for a gret time in Cape Town ,so when your in Cape Town i would recommend them ,i headed out to Stellenbosch direction to do the 4 passes

last look at Cape Town

this is Franshoek,cool little wine town,

i then headed towards Cares ,then camped near Prince Alfred Hamlet,this was my view in the morning overlooking the village ,apple country i think

i had a chat to a couple on a weekend trip away this was near a great little camp Oasis on the track to Wuppertal this track came out at Clanwilliam

i highly recommend this bit of track