Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #8071
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyswoman View Post
Call me overly cautious, but, knowing that insurance companies tend to look for loopholes to avoid paying out claims, I suspect that, in the event of an accident, a Manitoba rider with Ontario insurance may well find his/herself SOL in terms of making a successful claim...I'm just sayin'....
Maybe not if you are up front about it (or at least a small fib). As said earlier there are people from the US who have seasonal residence here and they have locally registered and insured vehicles.
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #8072
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
Public liability. Property damage. (basic coverage)

Sent using a techy gadget from somewhere
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #8073
gumbellion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden_rider_54 View Post
Hey Gumby, heard you may be heading to a new job back north to our neck of the woods. Congratulations.
Thanks G
My start date is the 15th in Dryden. You guys will have to keep me posted if your doing any riding. I will have much more free time for riding with the new move
So much for the trip I was going to take to the black hills this week though. I am off for the next 11 days, but they will be consumed with packing, and hunting for a place to live in Dryden
gumbellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #8074
Tothelake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackRoader View Post
Curious to see how this one turns out, I have 5 Seasonal bikes that would prefer Ontario's insurance system. My spider senses tell me it's not going to be cheap, particularly for full coverage.... I will standing in line with you Dave at the Kenora Motor Vehicle Branch.

I'll be right behind Backroader in the lineup! I can honestly say that my bike spends 90% of its' life in Ontario. I want to get me a couple of those Ontario trailer plates too.......never to renew again. In Manitoba they are up to about $100/year........I think $85 is an annual registration fee that now occurs every 5 years??? I guess you don't have to go to the Public Utilities Board to get an increase in a "registration fee".
Tothelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #8075
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,194
Video of my first ride and impressions of the KLR...I think it will be a nice bike for long trips

2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #8076
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
I never buy full coverage insurance. There is NO advantage to it unless you have an "at fault" accident. If the other guy is at fault, your bike is fully covered even without full coverage. Plus, I don't ride a bike worth 20K, or one that is likely to be stolen.
I figure I've save enough over the years to buy several nice new bikes. Of course, the money went to kid's education, wife's Polo Park visits and vacations. YMMV
Lyle

Headed to Thunder Bay today to take my daughter on a tour of Con College's Flight training facility tomorrow. The Bandit needs a spin.
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #8077
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappeman View Post
Video of my first ride and impressions of the KLR...I think it will be a nice bike for long trips

Thanks for the video review Rob. Looks like a fine set-up! There was lots of wind noise in the video - but I think you mentioned that the older KLR is considerably lighter in weight than the new one. This should make it easier to lift when it naps in the middle of nowhere. I know when you first got your 530 you commented on how much easier it was to lift that bike.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #8078
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Your setup looks almost exactly like mine, Rob!
Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #8079
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
Your setup looks almost exactly like mine, Rob!
That's too funny, I don't even remember yours...just came up with it off the top of my head
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #8080
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Quote:
That's too funny, I don't even remember yours...just came up with it off the top of my head
I just got back from Lappe, but don't know where you live. I've been riding the small bikes, the BMW feels like a pig!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #8081
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I never buy full coverage insurance. There is NO advantage to it unless you have an "at fault" accident. If the other guy is at fault, your bike is fully covered even without full coverage. Plus, I don't ride a bike worth 20K, or one that is likely to be stolen.
I figure I've save enough over the years to buy several nice new bikes. Of course, the money went to kid's education, wife's Polo Park visits and vacations. YMMV
The difference between PL PD and full coverage on my BMWs was about $100 per bike. With the KLRs I put as a minimum comprehensive on them to cover smacking a hooved rodent (deer). The comprehensive (500 deductible) coverage is about $50 per bike for the year.

Quote:
Headed to Thunder Bay today to take my daughter on a tour of Con College's Flight training facility tomorrow. The Bandit needs a spin.
Taking the BMWs up to TBay for blues fest tomorrow. Camping at my daughters place.
dryden_rider_54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #8082
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
Not sure if you've been following the thread but Keith and Bryan from New Zealand are doing the Trans Canada Adventure trail (tcat) and are were here last night.
If anyone that can provide any input on any needed, go arounds on the route north of thunder bay or ride along it would be much appreciated.
there is a tcat thread here on the forum also.

www.graveltravel.ca
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #8083
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Not sure if you've been following the thread but Keith and Bryan from New Zealand are doing the Trans Canada Adventure trail (tcat) and are were here last night.
If anyone that can provide any input on any needed, go arounds on the route north of thunder bay or ride along it would be much appreciated.
there is a tcat thread here on the forum also.

www.graveltravel.ca
12kms past Graham road on the old rail bed was washed out for GPSkevin, not sure if it's been fixed, doubt it (saw the photos of it, impassible). Turn south back down Graham road to the highway and then come back up north on the highway out of Ignace. Skip the trail section between Silver Dollar gas station and Sioux Lookout as it has two large washouts and private property and you'd be doing a lot of back tracking. Head north out of Sioux Lookout and back onto the trail and your good to go!
2007 YZ250F Blue Death
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #8084
ZZR_Ron OP
Underground

Quote:
12kms past Graham road on the old rail bed was washed out for GPSkevin, not sure if it's been fixed, doubt it (saw the photos of it, impassible). Turn south back down Graham road to the highway and then come back up north on the highway out of Ignace. Skip the trail section between Silver Dollar gas station and Sioux Lookout as it has two large washouts and private property and you'd be doing a lot of back tracking. Head north out of Sioux Lookout and back onto the trail and your good to go!
That washout between Sioux Lookout and Silver Dollar has been there quite a while. This is how we got across one of them on the 2006 Icebreaker.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #8085
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron View Post
That washout between Sioux Lookout and Silver Dollar has been there quite a while. This is how we got across one of them on the 2006 Icebreaker.
There's a least three washout's then, I didn't even get to that one. The first on was about 200 yds in from highway and I made it thru that one with a fully loaded KLR but the second one was big and deep, didn't want to try it with the KLR being I was riding solo, so I had to back track quite a ways just to get to the highway again. The section where it crosses the highway was gated and private property. This was all back in 2010.
2007 YZ250F Blue Death