ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #826
RRM707
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Me & my buddy!

RRM707 screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 12:28 PM
RRM707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #827
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
uuhhhhhm; where's his spots?
Dorzok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #828
RRM707
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
uuhhhhhm; where's his spots?
LOL! He's a furry Samoyed, not a Dalmation!

Tho, he'd have lots' of spots if my wife didn't bathe him every month!
RRM707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #829
vtwinp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Life Guard on Duty

vtwinp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #830
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Ugh..my dogs have fleas again this summer. ( SJ sand issue). With the baby here now, I am leery to use any kind of chemicals on them. We have used Hartzguard flea and tick stuff in the past, and never really worked. I have also tried bathing them with all sorts off the shelf fleas shampoos, and they did little to nothing.

My best and current method to is to flea comb them, and sit there with the shopvac, to suck the fleas off the comb on each swipe...those little basterds jump off really quick. This is done a couple times a week, as well as vacuuming the house..and helps, but does not get rid of them.

Thoughts or ideas?
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #831
Ballics
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
We have had success with frontline for years. It's non toxic and safe for anyone or pet that comes in contact with it. Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Ugh..my dogs have fleas again this summer. ( SJ sand issue). With the baby here now, I am leery to use any kind of chemicals on them. We have used Hartzguard flea and tick stuff in the past, and never really worked. I have also tried bathing them with all sorts off the shelf fleas shampoos, and they did little to nothing.

My best and current method to is to flea comb them, and sit there with the shopvac, to suck the fleas off the comb on each swipe...those little basterds jump off really quick. This is done a couple times a week, as well as vacuuming the house..and helps, but does not get rid of them.

Thoughts or ideas?
Ballics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #832
Kaw4Life OP
Busted Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,235
Quote:

Thoughts or ideas?
Take a vacation and bomb the house before you leave.
Kaw4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #833
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballics View Post
We have had success with frontline for years. It's non toxic and safe for anyone or pet that comes in contact with it. Jon
Cool..thanks for the input. Maybe we'll try the frontline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life View Post
Take a vacation and bomb the house before you leave.
LOL...just had a kid...there aint no money for a vacation. ;)
Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #834
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:

Thoughts or ideas?
There are alternatives. Baking soda and salt or diatomaceous earth are generally effective on the surfaces that harbor fleas (couches, carpets, etc.), especially combined with bathing of the animals (with normal pet shampoo)—see http://www.ehow.com/how_4561018_flea...soda-salt.html or http://www.richsoil.com/flea-control.jsp, for example.

Frontline is not natural. http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/ingred...dogs-4003.html provides a little background (first Google search, I'm sure there's more out there elsewhere). In short, Frontline works by putting a synthetic chemical— fipronil—into your dog's oil glands, which then cause it to be redistributed across the dog's skin for the following month. http://merial.com.au/SiteCollectionD...iginal_sds.pdf for the MSDS for Frontline.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #835
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
There are alternatives. Baking soda and salt or diatomaceous earth are generally effective on the surfaces that harbor fleas (couches, carpets, etc.), especially combined with bathing of the animals (with normal pet shampoo)—see http://www.ehow.com/how_4561018_flea...soda-salt.html or http://www.richsoil.com/flea-control.jsp, for example.

Frontline is not natural. http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/ingred...dogs-4003.html provides a little background (first Google search, I'm sure there's more out there elsewhere). In short, Frontline works by putting a synthetic chemical— fipronil—into your dog's oil glands, which then cause it to be redistributed across the dog's skin for the following month. http://merial.com.au/SiteCollectionD...iginal_sds.pdf for the MSDS for Frontline.
Great information. Thanks a bunch too.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #836
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
I use frontline if the dog is riddled with fleas but most of the time I just get her to swim in the sea. A prolonged dunking seems to keep them at bay. Apparently slipping a garlic oil capsule into their food helps too, parasites hate garlic. Unfortunately so do dogs. My efforts have always resulted in a wee golden capsule being left in an otherwise spotless bowl.
I have had success with a homemade alcohol rub. Vodka, tii tree oil, rosemary & lavender infused together. I put it onto the dog with a dropper & massaged it through the fur to the skin. Seemed to be quite effective, dog smelled GAWJUS too!

Whilst on the subject of remedies. Anybody know how to relieve the irritation from Wandering Dew (Jew)? My dog is scratching herself to bits & I'm loathe to continually rub her with cortisone creams from the vet.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #837
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
Quote:

Thoughts or ideas?

Frontline.
The ruppys shoulda been on it asap!

Don't buy it from the vet!!!!!
Online,or we're luck enough to have a local mom and pop pet store that stock it for less then half as much as the vet.
The dogs will thanks you.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #838
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #839
BC
case scrapusmaximus

Oddometer: 342
This is Briko, our 18lb Blue Tick Beagle riding in his Roadhound top box
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #840
matts1050
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 297
"Mister". Had a bad life before me. I brought him home 2 months ago. He promptly bit me & the wife(our fault-I tried to examine his ears the second day he was with us and my wife went to pet him when he was asleep). He wouldn't let me touch him except a pat on the head. Now we're friends(getting better everyday)-he will allow me to check him for ticks and such. last week he came in the den and sat in my lap. My wife started to cry(I was a little weepy!). He's coming along. I would like to find the previous owner and kick him in the nuts a few times!