Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #106
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,097
Even SR's pal Mike had modified his moto with a home-made uber light system

Tilt-adjustable:

So it began to sink in on me - running out of gas or running well past darkness, in the High Sierra where it gets cold and rainy at night, was a real possibility.

Everybody seemed so well prepared

SR was a pro on dirt, no so much me

Nerves began to set in

And it was too close to the ride start to make them go away with tequila

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:14 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #107
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Trice. When Hardy, the nephews and I were running the mountain dirt roads south of Monterrey 3-4 years ago we came across a group of about 40 UTV's decked out with camping gear, ice chests, but wearing full moto gear. Harnessed in, too. They were flying low. Getting after it. I thought to myself "Self. What the hell are you doing on a KLR?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
But then it passed. Gotta be two wheels.
Absolutely!

After all, if I took one of Walter's ATVs I wouldn't be writing an ADV ride report, right!

And for all their fancy equipment and expensive rigs, a huge number of these ATVs failed to finish for one reason or another.

We have video of a common theme: an ATV towing another ATV out of the Sierra

I can't emphasize enough, though, that it was the first sight of all the "pro" looking stuff and me feeling like the sad, inexperienced dirt dweeb that I am, that gave me an almost sleepless night that night before we took off from downtown Durango.

The feeling of impending doom and being in the company of those who appeared to have it already knocked was a big ingredient in the satisfaction over having run this route on a DRZ400
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #108
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
I'm in! Cool video using professional edition of GE following the tracks! Now I want that!!!

Credit our man SR! Smart man!

(GE=Google Earth)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #109
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

I woke up early at the Gobernador, having already gone over my gear and stacked and packed as best I could

The hotel restaurant wasn't open yet, so I made good on room carafe coffee and some of the power bars I bought to put in the Camelbak

I fired up the DRZ, and headed about 6 blocks West on 20 de Noviembre to the rally start in front of the Durango Catedral

Here, SR is with me along with the DRZ400 he lent me

Among is last words to me were "we can get you to a hospital, but just don't break my bike"

Me, Miguel (from the video) and SR:

SR gives the thumbs up, and we're off!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #110
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977

On the subject of gas. Here is our spare gas setup and our gear being sent along on a chase vehicle. These Chinese gas cans cost 50 pesos each and both started leaking on day 2. Next time I drive to the US, I'll get a good DOT approved gas can. There are "litros de gasolina" available in some of the small ranchos, but it is convenient to have our own. We don't have to look for gas, we don't have to wait in line for others to fill up, or worry about the litros running out, and we have the higher octane "roja".

SR screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 09:49 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #111
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Cool video of our 2013 start

Go Full Screen

Go Full Screen

I pulled Schizzman's pics up to the front of the RR so that they're in order with the story:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Well, this is pretty much out of order for the RR as I was busy riding Mexico all weekend but Trice asked me to go ahead and post up:

The plan was to leave June 15 for a weekend in Parras de la Fuente followed by a mountain route to Veracruz to enjoy the good company and riding acumen of our amigo MikeMike. Trice agreed to start his trip a few days early to combine our individual Parras plans. Meanwhile, while enjoying Parras, tropical storm Barry, known as an "Onda Este" in Mexico, moved ashore and abruptly ended my Veracruz plans. So I threw in with Trice and we're off for Durango, SR and family, Tia Chona's, Hotel Gobernador, a gold mine, the Espinazo del Diablo, Mazatlán, and the inmate known as Going South.

Friday, June 21, Hotel Gobernador, Durango, Mx., and Tricepilot has beat the sun up (it will later beat him down) to make the 1 km ride to the rally start at the Catedral.

I hoofed it to the Catedral to see them off. Found mostly ATV's and Razr's with a few dirt bikes.

SR shows up all color-coordinated and everything. He'd been up late helping folks get the GPS tracks loaded but was raring and ready to go.

SR and Trice. The only two Gringos in the rally.

While Trice's shirt says KTM his expression reads a bit like WTF. Little does he know what lies ahead.

A last minute repack of the tail bag.

I take my position in the median as photographers crowd the starting line jockeying for the last pix before the start.

Riders begin chanting to go, two-strokes are frantically ringadinging while four-strokes brraap in anticipation. Then they're off.

In a moment the street quieted down with just a few organizers, media and Walter Bishop waiting for any stragglers.

And there were a few, each wearing the slightly panicked expression of having overslept.

One of the organizers making sure these participants stop and put on their helmets.

Then I was off to Sanborn's for breakfast.

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 05:14 AM
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #112
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

I still can't believe that was only 2 weeks ago today

Little did I know what was in store

Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #113
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

In my little survival pack (red circle) I had the following:

emergency survival bivvy
fire starting materials
SPOT locator
food essentials
survival knife
water purification tablets
compass
bear repellent
signal flare
parachute cord
mini tarp
dry tech t shirt

Well, ok, it was just a camera
Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #114
captkumu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Trice.... There is another ATV ride that runs from Mazanillo to Puerto Vallarta
I kind of got caught up in that one it was in Sept Last year.... really enjoying you report..... John
Back on the Ferry Riding Mexico 2012
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824619
captkumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #115
michaellmcc
Dudester

Oddometer: 74
Likewise

Very enjoyable report.

After getting back to this site and reading your first few installments, I did the ride in my sleep the other night... got a lot of air and was amazed at my great landings!

Since I don't see either a truck or mid-size enduro in my future, this will, sadly, have to remain vicarious.
Explored by motorbike: USA, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam. Videos: Alaska: http://vimeo.com/70698420; Mexico: http://vimeo.com/62712738 ; Austin to Indy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsHo...eature=mh_lolz ; Morocco: http://youtu.be/fW758r_V4mE ; Big Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKpJ...ature=youtu.be
michaellmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #116
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,175
Old 07-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #117
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkumu View Post
Trice.... There is another ATV ride that runs from Mazanillo to Puerto Vallarta
I kind of got caught up in that one it was in Sept Last year.... really enjoying you report..... John
Thanks John

I've got more México Moto Gran Fondos on my radar now

I'm doing a run in September from Tecate to Cabo, also all off-road

I figured I'd try to do these now, before I start picking out my rocking chair!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #118
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellmcc View Post
Very enjoyable report.

After getting back to this site and reading your first few installments, I did the ride in my sleep the other night... got a lot of air and was amazed at my great landings!

Since I don't see either a truck or mid-size enduro in my future, this will, sadly, have to remain vicarious.
Man - for quote purposes I had to change your red font to white because my eyes were not ready for the 4th of July!

But yeah, a trophy truck might have done 1/4 of this ride, especially the first chunk out of Durango - but once thick into the Sierra - fagheddabouddit!!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #119
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Now that we're into Day One, I have to post up a quote SR said to me in a small Sierra Madre town:

Blue skies, logging roads, laughs all-around

Getting to Mazatlán is going to be a walk in the park!

The Park of Doom, that is!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #120
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Day 1 Photos.

I think this is my cue to come in with the Day 1 photos?

When the event first gets going out of town and off the pavement it's kind of a crowded dust bowl with all the ATVs. After about an hour the pack separates out and it gets quiet and peaceful.

The foothills west of town get more rain than the city and the grass is already starting to turn green. We don't have 4 seasons in NW Mexico. Only Hot, Rainy, and Cold. We are now transitioning from the Hot to Rainy.

Typical logging/ranching road, about 100 Km west of Durango city.

The forest in this area looks very similar to the Front Range of Colorado. However, the rocks here are all volcanic tuff not metamorphics as in the Front Range.

The first half of Day 1 was mostly on flat mesas with a few steep loose uphill sections, and then a fun run for several kilometers up a river bed until lunch.

This is lunch time and refueling. A lot of this area is fairly isolated but the lunch is back at a paved road with good access out. I hadn't ridden with Tricepilot off road before, so I didn't know what to expect. The first part of the first day is kind of a shakedown. My contingency plan was to boot him down the paved road at this point if he couldn't hang, before we got into the big country, but he was doing just fine so we kept him along!!.

Several people, including my Concuno bailed for the day at this point and we were only a third of the way through the first day.

I have to go to a BBQ. I'll do part 2 of Day 1 when I get back.

SR screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 03:17 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote