User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Steveo. OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Question Almost had a good Harley story...

... And then they bent me over for $565 for a tire.

I was heading from Calgary down to Idaho for vacation on my Monster and had to make an emergency stop in Cranbrook, BC. I left Calgary around lunch with decent tread on the tires and a full tank of gas and my wife driving my truck with my kids. She was being the best wife ever and let me ride so I would have my bike for our month long stay in Coeur D'Alene. Topped up my fuel in Coleman, checked the bike and headed for Cranbrook, in 40 degree temps. When I pulled in for fuel and was checking the bike, I noticed this:

Obviously I was going nowhere on that tire and the search began in town for a replacement. The only shop with one was the Harley dealer and with only 25 minutes before closing, they agreed to help me out. New tire installed in less than 30 minutes (with my wife giving me dirty looks) and we were on our way, right after I paid.

Turns out in Cranbrook, tires are ridiculously expensive. $565 installed for one Dunlop D209HD!!! I almost died. When I questioned it he said "that's an expensive tire. I paid and left because my wife was dying to get going as the kids were getting antsy after a long slow drive through a ton of construction.

After looking at the invoice, they charged me $120 in labour(standard tire change, according to the service guy), charged for wheel weights that they didn't use because they couldn't balance my wheel and $365 for the tire. Add a pile in taxes and my ass is still sore.

To make matters worse, my new set of tires that I ordered Tuesday should be arriving today, although now the rear isn't needed for a while. I paid about $300 for a set, delivered to our summer rental!!

Moral of the story, stay away from the Harley dealer in Cranbrook and don't leave for a road trip without fresh tires. Even though they appeared to have a fair bit of life left, I'm assuming the high temperatures, rough roads and some spirited riding shortened the last bit of life.