Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #496
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,602
When the RR went to FB you lost a bunch of us. I'm sure you tapped into the masses there on FB but it's not the place some of us ADV types care to hang out.

Thanks for the summary report. When I first saw the plan, I suspected the issues would revolve around the choice of machine and the mods. It turned out pretty much as I expected but not for lack of effort on your part. I admire the way you guys took up the challenge and it was a BIG challenge. You know what they say, there's fast, cheap and reliable, you can only pick two

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #497
Mole-Man
n00b

Oddometer: 5
The untold story

I think the biggest part of this story is getting five adventuress people together to agree, work, and commit to such a crazy trip. I hope you all are able to launch more trips because I'll be watching for them. Good luck!
Mole-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #498
mathewsturtevant
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
Facbok vs ADVrider

Facebook is just a ton easier to use when uploading images. Also, you need a computer for ADV rider and fcbk just a phone works.
I ran into the Cycles East guys down in Black Dragon wash. Very nice fellows.
Congrats on their mission!

mathewsturtevant screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 07:08 PM
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #499
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
Facebook is just a ton easier to use when uploading images. Also, you need a computer for ADV rider and fcbk just a phone works.
I ran into the Cycles East guys down in Black Dragon wash. Very nice fellows.
Congrats on their mission!

Tapatalk and the mobile photobucket app? Just sayin'..... I do 99% of my posting on here from my phone
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #500
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS View Post
Actually, I thought the ride concept was great and the ADV report of trip planning was great and very entertaining. However, I would have to differ with you on the comment that this was an excellent ride report. In my opinion it was the most disappointing TAT report I ever followed or attempted to follow hands down. Going to Facebook once the ride started was a major let down for those of us that wanted to follow this adventure and don't do the Facebook thing. In my opinion, if you don't plan on following through with reasonable updates on your ADV RR thread, don't even start one. I applaud the effort, all the riders who attempted this feat and especially the one rider who pushed on against the odds and actually made it. If there is a follow-up from Cycles East with a good after the fact report, I would love to read it.
Awww, sounds like someone has a sensitive tummy. Poor thing.

People will whine about anything

Great ride report, even with the few little whiny bitches in the thread that were crying for attention trying to take the report off topic
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #501
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 776
Trans Trail Backwards

Wow, only one of the original crew made it all the way, sounds like a lot of blood, sweat and tears shed on the way! Big props, very inspiring!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #502
50short
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Laugh Trail 90s Rule!!

The Cycles East guys are machines! Way to go. Regardless of what any haters might say, the CT90 is one of the most capable, purpose-built machines in dualsport history. Not designed for hardcore, long distance touring but certainly capable of doing it. There are few bikes I'd rather set off on an adventure with...and I've ridden'em all.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us and pass your knowledge on to us ADV'ers.

I'll be traveling 400 miles roundtrip on a CT90 (mostly offroad) from western Minnesota to the Aerostich rally in Duluth over the 3rd week in August. Look for the RR in coming days. Unsupported, solo, camping as I go. Hopefully there'll be plenty of pics. And for those of you TALL CT'ers, pay attention, I'm 6'5". There is no bike I'd rather ride.

Best regards to all!

50short screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 03:53 PM
50short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #503
Marc LaDue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Cool2 What more can one say??

You guys will look back on this adventure for the rest of your lives. Thanks for going to all the trouble of taking us along. I can only imagine the energy it takes to type and upload text and images at the end of the day. Some friends of mine and I have been attempting to complete the mid-section of the original TAT (with Hancock and Tomichi) for the past three years and didn't get it done until this year! And even though we had no breakdowns to speak of, and even though we ate out and ate well each and every meal, and even though we slept in freshly made beds after taking daily showers, we didn't post one single peep or picture.
Now, some of this is of course due to the fact we are for the most part luddites, fat, and well over fifty (some of us way over), but aside from that, it basically comes down to just doing it, whether you feel like it or not. And if you can't do it then learn!
You've given me new inspiration to educate myself on how to actually use my Garmin (for more than just finding Chinese Food), my GoPro, my Spot, my laptop, all of which I've ignorantly owned and taken along for a number of years now, but rarely used successfully.
And if someday you see one of my trip narratives (which I always write after-the-fact completely without pics), you'll know you and your ragtag collection of oddball daredevils were the catalyst and spark responsible.

LaDue
Marc LaDue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #504
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
still learning

Having ridden a ct90 for over 20 years, this ride report was still a learning experience for me. The trip wrap up post is gold, if I can I want to get it onto the ct90 sites for reference.

Don't ditch the bikes, you still have Big Bend in Texas and Barstow in NV to run!
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #505
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Tall CTers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50short View Post
The Cycles East guys are machines! Way to go. Regardless of what any haters might say, the CT90 is one of the most capable, purpose-built machines in dualsport history. Not designed for hardcore, long distance touring but certainly capable of doing it. There are few bikes I'd rather set off on an adventure with...and I've ridden'em all.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us and pass your knowledge on to us ADV'ers.

I'll be traveling 400 miles roundtrip on a CT90 (mostly offroad) from western Minnesota to the Aerostich rally in Duluth over the 3rd week in August. Look for the RR in coming days. Unsupported, solo, camping as I go. Hopefully there'll be plenty of pics. And for those of you TALL CT'ers, pay attention, I'm 6'5". There is no bike I'd rather ride.

Best regards to all!
50 - good luck on your adventure. Some of the guys have made mods for the tall. Check the Yuki ct90 site for a project that raised the seat about 2 inches. And you can do long shocks (I have) but they cause the center stand to come up short. Easy fix, I just added a sidestand and it works great.
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #506
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS View Post
Actually, I thought the ride concept was great and the ADV report of trip planning was great and very entertaining. However, I would have to differ with you on the comment that this was an excellent ride report. In my opinion it was the most disappointing TAT report I ever followed or attempted to follow hands down. Going to Facebook once the ride started was a major let down for those of us that wanted to follow this adventure and don't do the Facebook thing. In my opinion, if you don't plan on following through with reasonable updates on your ADV RR thread, don't even start one. I applaud the effort, all the riders who attempted this feat and especially the one rider who pushed on against the odds and actually made it. If there is a follow-up from Cycles East with a good after the fact report, I would love to read it.
So... let me get this right. You are sitting at your computer and you're disappointed about this RR??

So what? Who the fuck are you?

These guys build funky little bikes that were made to haul a 10 year old girl to the store in India into TAT bikes, they ride the shit the wrong way, they get hurt, they ride many miles per day on these POS machines and YOU... YOU Sir have the lack of character to be all pissed off cuz they want to tell the rest of the story on FB?
These guys are getting fucked up on these bikes for 200 miles a day and YOU, YOU, little worm of a man, sit at your computer and complain because your entertainment is cut off?

FOMF....

I'm doing the TAT in two weeks... I'll never post a word about it here because of FF's like you....

Here is your award....

Old 07-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #507
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,634
I need one of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze View Post

Here is your award....

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #508
WECSOG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:

I'm doing the TAT in two weeks... I'll never post a word about it here...
I sincerely hope you don't.
WECSOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #509
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 688
I love the patch...

Quote:

Here is your award....

I'm with RTWDoug on this - where do i get some. Excellent RR's and patches like this one are why I love ADV Rider.

Now in rebuttal to the rebuttal to my original comments that are causing someone constipation I would like to clarify why this is an excellent RR. The bike build was well documented with plenty of pictures.

The guys were out on the TAT while I was busy working which automatically makes them excellent.

The guys documented some details and shared them with ADV with more excellent pictures.

I love their attitudes which is probably a huge plus just to think up this idea let alone do it. So based on this I am going to vote this a 5 star RR.

Thanks again for the Great (excellent) RR.

YK
Old 07-11-2013, 04:56 AM   #510
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,634
to those that have never tried to do a RR while traveling, it aint easy.
I stay up late at night, uploading pics, looking for wifi, etc.
But I like to do them as I travel, because as some of you may know, when I get home, life takes over & I get busy & dont make the time to finish the report.

Posting on more than one place adds to it. Im sure the CE guys had their friends watching on FB, and thought it was more important for people they actually know to follow along, than a bunch of armchair commandos they have never met.

I'll start my RR within a month, & will do my best to keep it updated.

will I finish the report? who knows.....

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote