Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #2776
markk9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
So, what is "acting like an ass" on the part of these cyclists in your estimation?

Blowing stop signs?
Going through intersections against traffic lights?
Riding three and more abreast?
Just being in the roadway when you think they shouldn't be?
All the above?

There are valid reasons for at least some of these actions which have been commented on profusely in the thread.
I pick all of the above, most of the bicyclist in the Greensboro area don't seem to think traffic laws apply to them.

I have no problem with sharing the road with them, until they start the militant actions. In NC a fast vehicle as the right to pass a bicyclist.

Being Passed
A bicyclist cannot take actions to prevent another
vehicle from lawfully passing. For example, the vehicle
being passed must give way to the right when given an
audible signal, and may not increase their speed until
they are completely passed. [20-149]

http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/downloa...ebook-full.pdf
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #2777
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Ringing your bell is like someone honking their horn in a car. Just be patient and wait for the path to be wide enough to overtake. A few minutes getting to your destination will be no big deal.
No, rules around here state that you're supposed to announce that you're approaching. Bells are even suggested on some of the official rule signage. It's kinda like yelling 'on your left'. However, I've found that yelling anything can be misinterpreted. Furthermore, on the same short list of rules, it states that users should stay to the right half of the path in the direction they're going unless passing. Since most folks rarely observe ANY of the rules, I give 'em a little ding to let 'em know I'm coming.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #2778
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
677 people were killed riding bicycles in 2011.
4612 people were killed riding morotcycles in 2011.

What's the perceived danger vs real danger?
common sense tells me two things.
1. miles per fatality is going to be much higher for motorcycles
2. most motorcycle fatality s are single vehicle( i.e. riders fault) while most bicycle fatality's are auto/bike collision (may still be riders fault, but two vehicles are involved.

if you think commuting on a bicycle is safer than on a motorcycle you just aren't thinking
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #2779
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature View Post
No, rules around here state that you're supposed to announce that you're approaching. Bells are even suggested on some of the official rule signage. It's kinda like yelling 'on your left'. However, I've found that yelling anything can be misinterpreted. Furthermore, on the same short list of rules, it states that users should stay to the right half of the path in the direction they're going unless passing. Since most folks rarely observe ANY of the rules, I give 'em a little ding to let 'em know I'm coming.
That is pretty much the rule here for multi-use paths. Use a bell to announce your intent to pass. The walker/runner/slow rider is obligated to make a reasonable effort to not hinder the faster person's pass. That said, the faster person is also obligated to pass safely. This means not crowding the slower person and not moving into the path of someone coming the other way.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #2780
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 740
Irrational drivers are nothing more than bullies. Bullies don't like it when people stand up to them. How many here like bullies?

http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadright...more-bullying/

http://bikinginla.wordpress.com/
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #2781
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
It has it's plusses and minuses.

As long as you can manage to stay out of the way of the inattentive morons for a few seconds, then you're good. They run by you and are gone (at least until the next one comes along ).

OTH, if you have a motor, then you are moving along with them, and you may be dealing with that inattentive moron for miles.

Which is better?
Moving along with the morons is by far safer than having a huge disparity of speed between vehicles. The inatentive morons are much less likely to run into you from behind if you're traveling the same speed they are. If the inattentive morons are traveling much faster than you are, there's less time for inattentive morons and you to react to eachother, thereby increasing the likelihood of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
677 people were killed riding bicycles in 2011.
4612 people were killed riding morotcycles in 2011.

What's the perceived danger vs real danger?
I suspect many of the motorcycle fatalities were self inflicted, whereas the majority of bicycle fatalities were likely the result of the bicyclist striking or being struck by traffic. The statistics aren't broken down correctly for motorcycles to be able to make a determination (ie weeding out the single vehicle/self inflicted deaths) though.

the_sandman_454 screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 01:52 PM
the_sandman_454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #2782
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
So, what is "acting like an ass" on the part of these cyclists in your estimation?

Blowing stop signs?
Going through intersections against traffic lights?
Riding three and more abreast?

There are valid reasons for at least some of these actions which have been commented on profusely in the thread.
Here in washinhton state, some may make excuses for doing it, but there are no"valid reasons".

A bicycle is a vehicle, and all vehicles are required to obey all applicable laws.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #2783
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Here in washinhton state, some may make excuses for doing it, but there are no"valid reasons".

A bicycle is a vehicle, and all vehicles are required to obey all applicable laws.
I am telling you right now that you don't want bicyclists obeying all the laws. I can give countless examples of how I have broken the law for the sole purpose of improving the overall flow of traffic. I don't care whether anyone else thinks it's valid or not.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #2784
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
oh no you don't.
I'LL DECIDE WHATS RIGHT FOR EVERBODY!!
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #2785
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:

There are valid reasons for SOME of the actions in the list.
Agreed, blowing stop signs, even CA stops is illegal (no one here does that right???!!!)
Same with stop lights.

However, as for the traffic lane, all vehicles including bicycles are entitled to their space in the traffic lane. Bikes must stay to the right, as far as what is safe. But, as you pointed out, who is responsible for determining that? If it isn't safe hugging the fog line, it's legal for the bicycle to be elsewhere in the lane.
Impeding traffic, for most states is 5 + or - vehicles following. I've never seen that happen. I'm sure they exist, but no cyclists I've ever ridden with would allow that to happen. I certainly would not.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #2786
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
...all vehicles are required to obey all applicable laws.
Yeah, but...

All the riders here, moto, bicycle or otherwise do that 100% of the time with 100% of the laws, right?

If some folks pick and choose which laws to obey, are they then A**holes?
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #2787
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk9 View Post
I pick all of the above, most of the bicyclist in the Greensboro area don't seem to think traffic laws apply to them.

I have no problem with sharing the road with them, until they start the militant actions. In NC a fast vehicle as the right to pass a bicyclist.

Being Passed
A bicyclist cannot take actions to prevent another
vehicle from lawfully passing. For example, the vehicle
being passed must give way to the right when given an
audible signal, and may not increase their speed until
they are completely passed. [20-149]

http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/downloa...ebook-full.pdf
Its a funny thing,this holier then thou thing saying bicyclists dont follow the rules of the road to your specs.

When Im out on my bike I can watch every little thing cars are doing quite easily.

High % of cars dont stop at stop signs,either blowing through on the gas or barely slowing while they sip their latte.

Small % of cars go the speed limit,most are in a hurry gotta go now.

Signal for turns? If the mood is right maybe.

U turns no matter what the signs say? I see it all the time.

Tailgating as a way of life? Every time I drive somewhere especially on a hiway somebody will come flying up behind to latch onto the rear bumper,I let em by and they latch on the next bumper in line.
They're in a hurry.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The difference is a bicycle is only making himself a victim blowing stop signs while a car is a certified weapon and can smash many things in it's path, while the operator sits in quad air bagged and strapped in safety.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #2788
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:

You get right out there with your little ticket book and show em!
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #2789
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Yeah, but...

All the riders here, moto, bicycle or otherwise do that 100% of the time with 100% of the laws, right?

If some folks pick and choose which laws to obey, are they then A**holes?
Yeah, everybody transgresses, but it still doesn't make it a "valid reason".

As to if it makes someone an "asshole", that all depends on how it effects others.

Remember,
everybody slower than me is a jerk, and everybody faster is an idiot....
Old 07-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #2790
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,582
Quote:
Yeah, everybody transgresses, but it still doesn't make it a "valid reason".

As to if it makes someone an "asshole", that all depends on how it effects others.

Remember,
everybody slower than me is a jerk, and everybody faster is an idiot....
If sidewalk bicycling and avoidance of a traffic control device are illegal in my area and I cut across a parking lot and use the sidewalk for a short stretch to let traffic behind me vent, is that a valid reason? If I did this I would do it with caution and yield to any pedestrians.

Here's the scenario. A busy 4 lane road divided by a canal. The lanes are not wide enough to accommodate a bike and a car. I approach it from a side street. The street I want to be on is directly across the canal. My options are to catch a break in traffic and ride against traffic for about 100 feet on my side, cut across and go against traffic on the other side, then hit my desired street. The way traffic lights are timed, I can do this easily without interfering with vehicular traffic. My other option is to obey all the laws and in doing so I will have to ride in the lane for about a half mile out, u turn and ride a half mile back to get to the other side where the street I want to take is. If I do this I WILL piss motorists off and I will place myself in greater danger.

What should I do?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote