ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #1831
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog View Post
I have had something to come up and I will not be able to lead a ride this weekend. The weather is not going to be too good either. If someone else would like to set up a ride I'll catch you next time or I will set up a trip for sat. or sunday week if ya'll want to do that. Just let me know either way. thanks Augie.
I'm still up for a ride if anyone else is. Not sure if the weather will cooperate, though. Just changed the oil on the Uly so she's ready to go!
IBA #41635 - 77 CB750F, 03 FLSTF, 04 XB12R, 06 DRZ400S, 07 XB12X

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #1832
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
Where do you do your mtbing? I'm just getting back into it and am way out of shape!
I'll do you one better, I'm old and out of shape. I've been to the trails at the Whitewater center, they're free if you bring your own bike. Nice trails there, lot longer that where I ride now.

Where I live I ride out my garage and in about 10 feet I'm in dirt. I take a little unmaintained road to the Riverwalk Greenway and in about a 1/4 of a mile is where the Riverwalk mountain bike trails start. I'm trying to get my big a$$ in better shape so I go out there as much as my body will allow.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #1833
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,380
Posting this here for a day or so before putting it in the Flea Market. Options for my next bike include 800 GS and Tiger 800 XC so comments from those that own 'em appreciated... Or maybe something bigger...
And, I don't think my price is out of line considering the "extras" but comments appreciated on that as well

2011 Suzuki DR650SE located in Charlotte, NC

708 miles on the odo as of this writing. Pics taken 7/1/13 (spots on sidewalk are water from a quick pre-pic wash job).

Has had an oil change but valves have not yet been checked, and NSU screws have not yet been loctite’d (I have a new clutch-cover gasket for whenever this work is done). I think I also have another oil filter laying around somewhere.

All farkles are listed below. All original take-off parts are included. I will not separate – the new owner can ride the bike as it is or sell off parts – that’s up to them. The bike is set up very well just like it is.

• Heavy Duty Rear Spring from Procycle (for the “plus-size” rider). Original Spring included.

• Happy Trails Skid Plate

• ManRacks rear luggage rack

• Small Pelican case bolted to luggage rack

• Double Take Ram-Mount Mirror from Dual Sport Armory. Both original mirrors included.

• Corbin Seat (bought used – maybe 2 years old). Original seat included in brand-new condition.

• IMS Gas Tank (bought used – maybe 2 years old). Original tank included in brand-new condition.

• Converted to 520 chain with 14 front / 45 rear sprockets from Procycle. Original chain and sprockets included, but that chain would need a new master link.

• ASM Front fender brace from Procycle

• Dunlop D606 Tires were fitted at about 550 miles. Original tires included.

• Wired for a battery tender.

About the bike in general: Of the 700-odd miles, probably 450 of that is on power-line trails within 10 – 20 miles of my house, and I tend to ride pretty conservative off-road. It has certainly fallen over 6 or 7 times, all in the dirt and most of those at zero speed (there was one instance involving a very deep mud hole and I managed to gracefully fly off the bike at maybe 8 or 9 miles an hour, landing mostly on my head).

Sometimes I look at the handlebars and think they’re tweaked a little and sometimes I look at the handlebars and think they’re not. In any case there is a new set of handlebars included that I never got around to installing.

Between the sprockets and the D606’s you can almost climb a tree with this thing. Comfortable top cruising speed is maybe 60 to 65, and she’s very happy between 55 and 60. If you need to stay at or over 65 mph for long I’d suggest putting the stock sprockets back on, or going somewhere in between.

Love it but selling to buy a bigger dual-sport that I will actually ride more. ….Maybe to Alaska or Labrador or someplace (during the time I’ve put 700-some miles on this, I’ve put 21,000 on my RT, including trips to Mexico and Canada and through 25-or more States). And yes, I know that people take DR650’s around the world, but I personally want a bigger dual-sport, and I don’t see myself as a three-motorcycles-in-the-garage kind of guy.

Not brand new due to riding through bushes and twigs and mud and stuff, but as close as you’re likely to get. Always garage kept, always on a battery tender, and always with Sta-Bil in the fuel.

$4,850 / sorry no trades. Paypal preferred or cash works. Clear NC title in my name. Can help with delivery or fly-n-ride or whatever, as long as she’s going to a good home.

One State left to ride: Hawaii. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider

JoeyBones screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 07:09 PM
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #1834
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 804
I did a lot of research, rode 'em both, and fell in love with the triple. You need to spend a little time on both. The Triumph is pretty good stock, the Beemer needs suspension work out of the box. My two cents anyway, they're both great bikes, neither will go where the DR goes. Oh, and 800 is enough.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1835
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
I don't think my price is out of line considering the "extras" but comments appreciated on that as well
I'd say this is a steal at the price you're asking. I have a neighbor that has been bugging me about my KLR, let me tell him about your DR. He said he would be really interested in one if he could find a deal.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #1836
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
The Triumph is pretty good stock, the Beemer needs suspension work out of the box..........neither will go where the DR goes.....and 800 is enough.
On paper, the Triumph looks pretty good - more HP, bigger alternator, etc. And that triple has got to be pretty smooth. I'm a sucker for BMW stuff, but will try to be open-minded.

By selling the DR, I know I'm giving up a handful of local single-track days. But I'm leaning towards a big GS-type trip in the next year, and I'm thinking I'd use a bigger bike more.

Yeah. 800's probably enough. Probably.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #1837
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
On paper, the Triumph looks pretty good - more HP, bigger alternator, etc. And that triple has got to be pretty smooth. I'm a sucker for BMW stuff, but will try to be open-minded.

By selling the DR, I know I'm giving up a handful of local single-track days. But I'm leaning towards a big GS-type trip in the next year, and I'm thinking I'd use a bigger bike more.

Yeah. 800's probably enough. Probably.
If I were you I would look at the yamaha super tennre too. It is the bike of choice for adventure bikes with most of the hardcore riders I have talked to lately. it is about the same price, weight and size as the tiger or the gs 800 but is a twin cyl. 1200 with traction control, abs, adjustible front and rear suspension, and a lot of other standard features. there is a ton of accessorys available for it too. I have been on 2 and if I could I would buy one tomorrow.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #1838
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
... if I could I would buy one tomorrow.
Me too. I would probably want to demo a Stelvio first, but I'd probably end up with the Yamaha.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #1839
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
But I'm leaning towards a big GS-type trip in the next year
I expect an invitation and some advanced notice on this one.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #1840
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
I expect an invitation and some advanced notice on this one.
Sure thing. If I ever figure out WHAT I want to do!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #1841
JoeyBones OP
Encouraging Entropy

Quote:
If I were you I would look at the yamaha super tennre too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
Me too. I would probably want to demo a Stelvio first, but I'd probably end up with the Yamaha.
Funny how you start off with one type of budget in mind, and then things change...

Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #1842
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,861
Quote:
Funny how you start off with one type of budget in mind, and then things change...
Don't compare MSRP to MSRP. Super Teneres are going out the door for about the same money as the XC's. I've been following the big SuperTen thread since it started, and they seem to be stone-axe reliable. I think a few guys have had some spokes loosen up.

But, there aren't really any bad bikes any more. You gotta ride one that makes you grin.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #1843
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWolve View Post
I'm still up for a ride if anyone else is. Not sure if the weather will cooperate, though. Just changed the oil on the Uly so she's ready to go!
I am also thinking about a ride this Sunday. If weather cooperates, we can check out this route:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=17

Jon
Old 07-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #1844
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
I am also thinking about a ride this Sunday. If weather cooperates, we can check out this route:

Jon
A group of us rode across that section a couple of months back with Augie leading on his KLR. Had a woman try to run me off of the road after Augie and several of the dual sport bikes in our group -- ones in front of me -- passed her. XCRider803 and I were caught behind her for a while. When we got to a fork in the road she went left, horn a honking, as we went right. Guess she didn't like being passed on a gravel road.

BluRidgeRider
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #1845
StarWolve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post

Jon
Replied to your PM - I'm up for a ride. I just noticed the latch on my saddle bag was starting to crack (common on Hepco Becker Journey Bags) so I need to find a strap to hold that shut tomorrow, and order a new set of latches. Glad I noticed it before dumping the contents on the highway, though! I'll probably leave the bags off Sunday and just strap a backpack to the rear seat anyways.
IBA #41635 - 77 CB750F, 03 FLSTF, 04 XB12R, 06 DRZ400S, 07 XB12X

"Boredom is my worst enemy. It's killed a lot of my friends, but it won't get me. When I get bored, I go risk my life somewhere." - Larry Niven, Ringworld
StarWolve is offline   Reply With Quote