Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #31
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quick update - took the new setup out down the same road as before, it had dried up some but the short low fender seems to work well, no build up. But doing this has made me realize I really don't want that cross-over brake line so close to the tire. I'm going to get the second line but keep the stock low fender as a fork guard, probably wind up with a setup like yours mcmann, cutting the rear off as well.
XSoCal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #32
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

mud test

In case anyone is interested, it rained again so I made another trip to the same stretch of mud that locked up the front wheel before to see how it performed.

No problems this time, the space between the tire and fender stayed clear...

...and the upper fender worked well to catch the spraying mud from the shortened lower. You can see how the mud collected up at the front of the top fender; even though it is short, this was enough to keep any from coming back on me while riding.

So I'd say this setup works pretty well, and certainly is easy and cheap.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
I know the brake line question is about a 950. what I did on my 990 left the brake lines unchanged. Would that approach work on a 950? I can switch between high/low fender setup very easily (although I have only done that once in the last 3 years).
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #34
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I know the brake line question is about a 950. what I did on my 990 left the brake lines unchanged. Would that approach work on a 950? I can switch between high/low fender setup very easily (although I have only done that once in the last 3 years).
Yeah, that bracket for the fork guards would work on the 950 as well; the spacing of the bolt holes is a bit different than on the 990 I think, but since you are drilling them yourself anyway it doesn't matter.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #35
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
In case anyone is interested, it rained again so I made another trip to the same stretch of mud that locked up the front wheel before to see how it performed.

So I'd say this setup works pretty well, and certainly is easy and cheap.
It's not this kind of mud that'll lock it up..

IMO with this setup you have the weakness from both the high and low fender - as you still have the cross-over line + easy to lock up (with a kind of mud) low fender and the reduced airflow (if this counts anyway) with the high fender. Ofcourse if you're just only after the looks and you're happy with it..
Old 07-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #36
XSoCal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
It's not this kind of mud that'll lock it up..

IMO with this setup you have the weakness from both the high and low fender - as you still have the cross-over line + easy to lock up (with a kind of mud) low fender and the reduced airflow (if this counts anyway) with the high fender. Ofcourse if you're just only after the looks and you're happy with it..
Thank you for the incredibly polite yet honest opinion Sumi! I have in fact been thinking this is just a bad idea after all - as you say the worst of both worlds. Gotta commit...and will order the parts shortly. ABuck99, would like to know how the 49" line works out!