User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #226
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Finally some updates!

I have to say I am a bit embarrassed not to have gotton back to this thread.

It has been a very busy spring for me. I have been working like crazy on both the dirt and street bikes. Keeping all these old bikes going is a challenge sometimes but fun too. And I had been feverishly preparing another 465 for a buddy to ride in one of the big vintage events but unfortunately he did not ride due to injury.

So since my last post I have attended a cross country rance and a big MX event that I will get to in a momment but 1st thanks to all the comments since my last post weeks ago. I will respond to those next!

After that there will be some stories to tell ...

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #227
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Awesome Kevin! Congratulations!
Thanks! I hope you have been enjoying your spring/summer!

Kevin

Old 06-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #228
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
The YZ is so good you have a chance up against more "refined" bikes. The bike will turn but it takes effort and braking fades as time goes on.

Honestly attend an American Supercamp and your cornering ability (speed) confidence will increase and brake fade will decrease.

And never forget to have fun. Nice to see someone else racing the big YZ. Funding school has made racing a non event for me this year. Enjoy.

I guess I'll toss this in. Get your head forward (over the triple trees) and those elbows UP!
anotherguy-

Hey, thanks for that link. I did have a look at it and am thinking I may give it ago next year. And you are right about having fun. I feel your pain on the school funding. My daughter just finished 3rd year. Decided to take summer school plus internship in DC. Summer class+rent+board =~$3500. Then fall tuition will soon be due. Makes you think twice about doing much else after coughing up all that dough. My goal is to get her through debt free.

I have been working on those elbows!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #229
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Kevin, YOU DID GREAT!

Just remember how those bike leapfrogged in improvements during the 80's! An '86 CR 250 was an amazingly good bike. That CR was light, had great power, handled & with a few "modern" improvements they are even better still. Plus I'll bet the "Tech" inspection was pretty weak meaning you could really throw in a ringer bike, yours included if you wanted. Still, ain’t it great to line up against all those machines and riders and still show 'em some roost? The great thing about the 465 is that ever present loud handle at the right end of your handlebar; just twist it and watch the bikes around you start fading away. Remember to flaunt the 465's positive's (stability and power) and minimize it's negatives (turning and weight). Once you work on your technique and stamina you'll learn more each ride about your YZ and yourself and good things will continue to happen. Also get some Bleach White on them tires (off the rims of course) & next time use dish soap or a little WD40 as a tire lube. I've seen pro's use WD40.

Zoom, zoom. Keep it fun.
Thanks Pete,

I have never ridden one of those later Hondas but they did seem to be a popular choice for the class I was in. And no tech inspection which I kind of liked as it was less hassle and I am there just for fun and exercise anyway.

I set that tire and wheel combo aside for awhile. Last winter I picked up a new rim and stainless spoke set from a guy at the York swap meet. Mounted a new tire on it and dont seem to be having problems with the tire blowing off anymore. I did run into other problems though I think I have them resolved too.

Anyway, here is the new wheel setup. The rim was intended for a 465 and was marked as to which was the brake side. It all came from Buchanan's. The angles on the spoke holes seemed to be a little different as to account for the difference in spoke flange diameter from right to left. Also came with a special spoke lube with a note saying the stainless spoke threads would gall if no lube was used. Glad the guy I bought the stuff from kept it all together.

It went together well and trued up pretty quickly.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #230
crg infidel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Talking

I've been reading through this entire thread (took a big chunk of the day). It's got it all.

A suspenseful build-up.
A wealth of details to enrich the story.
The treachery of the theft.
The misleading story line of the "factory" cylinder.
The triumph of seeing your creation on the track.
And all those wonderful vintage pictures.

Thank you for posting all of this. I feel like I got a free novel.

I was originally looking for some good info, as I'm hoping to purchase an '81 IT465. I got so carried away in the story, I kind of forgot what I was looking for.

Please keep the story going!
crg infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #231
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg infidel View Post
I've been reading through this entire thread (took a big chunk of the day). It's got it all.

A suspenseful build-up.
A wealth of details to enrich the story.
The treachery of the theft.
The misleading story line of the "factory" cylinder.
The triumph of seeing your creation on the track.
And all those wonderful vintage pictures.

Thank you for posting all of this. I feel like I got a free novel.

I was originally looking for some good info, as I'm hoping to purchase an '81 IT465. I got so carried away in the story, I kind of forgot what I was looking for.

Please keep the story going!

Wow, that is one heck of a compliment,very kind, thank you!

Funny how these things can take off on you. And you just don't know where these things will lead do you? There really are many terrific folks in the various forums here. I have a wide interest in all kinds of street and off-road bikes and have learned a great deal from others here. Some of the solutions to difficult problems I have seen here are really quite amazing. It is a talented group.

As for the '81 IT465, well of course I am biased but I think that is a great bike. It's a little lower than the YZ so probably bit easier to handle in the woods.

I don't have the IT465 but do have the IT490 as you probably know. The IT490 has a broader power band than my yz465 and easier to control. It seems like it hooks up better too. Perhaps it is due to the heavier crank, I don't know. And if you ever want more power you can slap a 490 barrel right on that 465 bottom end.

The other great thing about that IT465 is parts availability. I lot of later model parts are interchangeable and prices are very reasonable compared to other makes. I really don't see how you can go wrong with that bike!

Kevin

Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #232
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More catching up!

So lets see if I can do some more catching up.

After the Tomahawk race next up for me was a cross country race in Shamokin, PA.

So where the heck is Shamokin, PA???

It's here,

about 3hrs from my house in the coal region on the west side of 81N near Pottsville.

I have never driven through this area. It was very pretty, however I was a bit surprised to see this mountain of coal being mined right above this town. I would imagine there is a fair amount of coal dust settling in there...

Shamokin too was interesting although it looked like its best days were behind it. Even so, I have been enjoying these trips to the races where you get to pass through old towns like this.

The event was held at Irish Valley MX park. One of the things they warned about was tunnel clearance on the way to the track!

And finally the destination...

The cross country was on Sat and the MX was on Sun. I went for the XC event as I didn't have to get there until the riders meeting at noon. The MX was too early for me and I didn't want to stay overnight.

My event (post vintage 50+) was scheduled for 4:00pm. I was able to take my time getting there without having to get up too early after a long work week.

This event was put on by the Potomac Vintage Riders, mostly out of Maryland, Va and PA. These guys are very organized. Sign up is easy, riders meeting informative and all are very welcoming. Real gentlemen, OK well at least until the flag drops !

I also got to meet the track owner. He too was a heck of a nice guy. Turn out was great!

It always seems to be a pleasant bunch at these vintage events.

Anyway, lets have a look at some of the cool bikes that showed up.

This is Dave, probably the key guy driving the XC series in this area (he gets plenty of help of course). He is also a very good racer!

Ever see a Maidaka?

One of the many huskies (not all of them rode Husqvarna's either!)

Had a nice chat with this fellow. He races 60+ (see dirt bikes do keep you young!).

Everyone, this is Joe!

This guy was both smooth and fast. What a nice Bultaco.

Penton and Ossa

I just love this guys tank bag. Is that a Hipoint or a Malcolm Smith I wonder?

A Hodaka strong man!

More to come... but first,

Jimmy Ellis

Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #233
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cross country on the IT490 -Results

So how did I do?

Damn, this cross country stuff is tough! An hour is a looonnnnggg time hang on to a dirt bike!

The 1st lap went pretty good. Being a woods race, I took the IT490 this time.

This bike has been running great, a real beast... man this thing is fast!

The start was dead engine but I was not too worried as it had been starting pretty well prior to the event. However, it was kind of cold up in Shamokin and when the guy waved the flag, it didn't start right away .

I got a little panicked after the first 3 kicks and it didn't light up. Not only was the group riding away from me but I knew I didn't have many robust kicks left. But finally on 4th or 5th go we had fire in the hole.

Having that 1st lap on the MX track really worked in my favor. That big 490 ran down the field in no time. There were a couple of downhill turns followed by up hill sections where the 490 torqued by lesser bikes with ease. Inside, outside, it didn't matter!

Just before the turn into the woods, I passed the last guy and moved into 1st place. All clear ahead, I was cruising to victory, I was styling !

Sounds great doesn't it? Well looking back now I can see I had repeated the same classic mistake made by many other MXers in cross country races. Too fast, too soon!

My problems began when I hit the muddy sections. I rode through them well enough but the mud loaded up my foot pegs and this kept them from fully returning from the folded position. I didn't realize it at the time but the partially folded peg angled my right foot out. When I when to grab the brakes into a turn at the bottom of a down hill my foot completely missed the brake pedal and I went flying off the trail and into the woods where I missed a tree but stalled the motor .

Multiple riders passed me as I tried to work my way out of the bushes and restart my bike... This happened to me two more times (what the heck?)!

Those slow pokes in the MX section were now kicking my butt through the tight stuff.

The loose shale also gave me fits. Gobs of power is of no help here, throttle control is key. This loose shale was on up and down hill sections, not just flats. I had a terrible time staying on the trail in some of these sections plus I found the weight of the big IT really working against me. It was tiring me out.

I was wishing for a Hodaka!

Anyway, after about a half hour of this I called it quits. I was tired and just couldn't face another run through those rock gardens! Plus I was worried the guy riding this thing might soon be passing me, oh the humiliation!

Later I found out the guy who placed either 1st or 2nd (I'm not sure) was 58 years old... now that guy was smoking in Shamokin !

So I didn't have great results but I did have a great time.

The IT490 proved to be quite respectable on the MX course (damn good as I would find out at the next event!).

Once again I made it through without hurting myself, my season continues ...

Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #234
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,274
Excellent!

I sure do love the looks of the early/mid '80s big-bore ITs. They just look purposeful and tough. (Maybe I've said that before. )
I'd like to set my TT600 up for that type of racing. I don't race but it would be a nice fast woods rider. I have a Works rear shock set up for motocross on it already and man, what a difference to the stocker! Need to do something with the forks now.

Keep up the great work and story Kevin! I'm really enjoying this thread.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #235
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
If you look at the shocks on Jimmy Ellis's bike they are Curnutts that we built for him.

Scott T.
Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #236
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 442
Kevin; Out with it. We wanna hear about Unadilla!

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #237
crg infidel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Laugh

Quote:
Ditto! Subscribed & waiting for more!!!
crg infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #238
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg infidel View Post
Ditto! Subscribed & waiting for more!!!

Haha... OK, I can see I better pick up the pace!

Let's see what I can fit in on Unadilla MX Rewind tonight! It sure was exciting though and will probably take a few postings to get it all in.

Before getting to all the details of this years event, how about some back story so you guys can know all the hard work I did leading up to it and so I have an excuse to post some vintage Unadilla pictures from the period me and my friends attended events there.

Although I did not make mention of it here (cause I was scared and didn't want anyone to know if I chickened out!) I began considering the idea of racing MX Rewind way back in January. It was a pretty crazy thought as this was before Budds Creek even. Who the heck considers doing Unadilla when they haven't raced an MX bike for 30 years??? But I couldn't stop thinking how cool it would be...

Before getting too carried away, I thought I better find someone to bounce this crazy idea off of, preferably someone who would not try and talk me out of it. This of course left out my sensible wife and most every one else I knew (outside of ADVR that is).

No, for this I turned to my long time racing buddy Paul. See, we not only raced together 3+ decades ago but also attended several Unadilla events through the mid to late '70's and early 80's. Always a wild time, Paul was even hit in the head with a beer bottle during one of the TransAM's there. Surely Paul would understand.

Even better, Paul is still in great shape and very competitive in mountain bike racing. We did a cross country race last fall where he placed 4th on his KTM... hiimmm .

Now it turns out that I still have a couple of old photos of Paul and me racing the same motos together. So with plot still hatching, I sent the photos below to him as a reminder of what great times we had in our racing days.

This 1st one from 1979 shows me, Paul and Joe (more about him later) at a small race on eastern Long Island. Me and Paul are on our '79 RM250s while Joe is on a borrowed Honda CR250 having broken his Maico.

I was also lucky to have this photo found on the internet. This one shows Paul, Joe and me at Bridgehampton.

I can tell this is later in 1979 as Paul is on a new Maico having blown his RM gearbox to smithereens' a month or so prior. The Maico 250 was good on the upstate NY hard pack but was so slow in the Long Island sand he later bought a 420 KTM and moved to the open class.

My RM250 was still holding up well at this point. By this time I was running Ohlins remote reservoir shocks out back that I paid $279 for, quite a lot in '79!

On the 2nd line is Joe riding his Maico 400. I am pretty sure they double gated the 250's and open classes this day. Also there is Jersey pro Keith Mann, always a trouble maker, in the 2nd row to the right of #692. Keith raced the support class at Unadilla on several occasions.

In fact, here is Keith at Unadilla racing the 500 support class on his '81 YZ465. You can see how grassy the track was back then.

More to come...

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 08:56 PM
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #239
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The road to MX Rewind continues...

As I had hoped, Paul thought this whole Unadilla MX Rewind deal was such a great idea that he too should get in on the action. Racing together again at a storied track like Unadilla was simply too cool to pass up, even at our advanced age .

And in our conversing we spent plenty of time recounting old memories there. The fantastic GP's and TransAms. You know the ones, like when the Russians came over on the KTMs,

And where we watched in awe the likes of Decoster, Wolsink and Howerton duking it out with Hannah.

And then Hannah duking with Barnett

Falta!

The Hondas of Ellis, Pomeroy, Tripes, Smith!

Interestingly, Paul had reminded me how we walked the track before practice one year as you were allowed to do back then. We bumped into Chuck Sun who was looking for lines at right about the same spot as the Smith photo above. We even chatted with him a bit which, of course, was very exciting for us.

=============

With Paul mostly convinced now, there was one remaining problem, he didn't have a vintage bike to race.

Well ha, that was no problem at all, I'm thinking. This was still January and Rewind was in June. It would be no sweat getting my 2nd YZ465 ready in time for him to race at Unadilla, or so I thought!

So in sealing the deal for a teammate for Unadilla, I chose my words carefully. I offered Paul what we all wanted back then. Yes, "A full factory ride for Unadilla". Not only did I offer to prep a bike for him, but one with a very special cylinder.

Here is the follow up image and message left on Paul's facebook page . No way could he pass this up !

So the plan was essentially in place. In a few months we would be lining up at Unadilla, just like the big boys!

More to come!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #240
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I won't go through all the details of getting yz465 # 2 ready for unadilla.But recall that this was one of the bikes that wound up abandoned in a ditch after being stolen last fall. It was a bike I picked up at the York swap meet. The previous owner had it in storage for awhile.It had no fuel line on it and I had never gotten around to starting it.

And I really had not paid much attention to it after the police returned it to me. But in taking a closer look I was surprised to see the thieves had connected their own fuel line up. Not to the carburetor mind you, but instead to the crank case vent on top of the clutch arm! Yes, the transmission actually had gas in it!

Above photo shows transmission vent line leading up to gas tank. Funny how they failed to noticed the spigot on the carb nearby.

======

I already knew the motor had a small crack at the kick starter boss, so with transmission full of gas I decided I would just go through the whole thing to avoid any trouble later on.

This turn out to be a good decision as while most of the internals were in good shape, I did find an old gear tooth that had wedged between the shift shaft and the inside of the transmission case. I think it must have broken a kick gear at one time. One of the shift forks was also worn and I changed out a gear or two for some better spares already on hand.

Here are some slides showning the steps. All of this work took place during the spring. It was tough to fit in as I was also attending races and working on my primary bike at the same time.

There were other issues as well. The PO laced up new rims and spoke but wasn't very good at wheel truing.

The front and rear wheels were not centered properly and spokes were not tensioned evenly. This next photo shows how bad the offset was in front.

So back in January the bike looked like this,

Fast forward to 1.5 weeks before Unadilla and it looked like this. Progress!

It started fine and seemed to run well. There were still things to take care of but we were close and still had a week+ to go.

Then I got the call...

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 12:44 PM