ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #31
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tancakar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: London , UK
Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
time will tell when summer hits South Africa in Oct/Nov/Dec - At the moment I can feel the heat from the engine more on left side, but it's not a problem as it's relatively cool here now
It is very high heat. Today London is 26 degrees and fuck,sitting in the traffic, the heat from the bike is unbearable .

I still got a feeling this bikes boils the petrol! I can smell the fucking petrol.
Well I will be at ktm tomorrow again ! It has been 3 weeks I have been there every Saturday.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #32
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
It is very high heat. Today London is 26 degrees and fuck,sitting in the traffic, the heat from the bike is unbearable .

I still got a feeling this bikes boils the petrol! I can smell the fucking petrol.
Well I will be at ktm tomorrow again ! It has been 3 weeks I have been there every Saturday.
nah, there must still be a problem with your bike - I've never smelled any fumes.... Fill the bike up and take it to the dealer - let them sort it!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #33
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DavidD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Down South
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
It is very high heat. Today London is 26 degrees and fuck,sitting in the traffic, the heat from the bike is unbearable .

I still got a feeling this bikes boils the petrol! I can smell the fucking petrol.
Well I will be at ktm tomorrow again ! It has been 3 weeks I have been there every Saturday.
Threads and posts like this

What's happened!?! You go away and ride your bike for a few weeks and OC turns into GSpot!! Reading this and all the other moaners on here you would think KTM had produced a lemon and that you can tell a 1190 rider cos his left thigh is on fire, he has bloodshot eyes from all the buffeting and he cries himself to sleep every night cos the indicator button is so whatever - not so, it is a superb bike!!

I have had my new 1190R 6 weeks and I have done 3000 miles. 1300 of them to watch Rossi win his first MotoGP in 3 years at Assen in Holland, on a trip via Normandy France and the Ardennes in Belgium with my brother on his Suzuki GSXR 1000.

The 1190R has perfomed way beyond my expectations, it has carried all our camping kit to Europe, commuted each week into London - filtering past everything, and carried my wife to the coast.

It is a different bike to my 990's and better for what I need in almost every way. The power is just there when you need it wth no glitches in the fueling, the Akrapovic pops and burbles on the over-run, the brakes are in a different league to what went before, the standard seat is all-day and I mean 600 mile all-day comfortable, you get a 200 mile tank range if you behave yourself, less if you don't and the mirrors give you great rear vision. But best of all its not a GS. It may have lost some of the Rally styling of the 950/990, but it still has the KTM DNA and it still looks and feels like my Enduro bike, especially the bars.

Anything annoying, well all I can think of and I am struggling here, is the little storage unit near the dash - it is useful (I keep a small front wheel disk lock in there) but the closing mechanism is cheap and weak. Also if you ride over 95 mph (150 KM) or higher for prolonged periods, it can get a little vibey in your throttle hand.

Errrr that's it...................

Yes you can feel the heat on your left thigh, but it is nothing to write home about, maybe if you are stuck in traffic in 30 degrees C or above - but the radiator temp does not move - it stays at 4 bars regardless of how you ride, even in traffic. The indicator switch really is not a problem, you just get used to it. And there is no buffeting - I am 5' 10" and on the highest setting (to fit my sat nav) it is absolutely fine.

I loved my 990R but the 1190R has moved things on and I am just enjoying every ride - I just hope I get to keep my licence - cos it brings out the naughty boy in you on every ride.....
__________________
KTM 1190 R ADV and KTM 950 SuperEnduro R
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #34
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
6732cash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: ..London
Oddometer: 161
It seems that the modern bike rider forgets he is riding a motorbike....maybe some of them should buy a Lexus
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #35
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
Threads and posts like this

What's happened!?! You go away and ride your bike for a few weeks and OC turns into GSpot!! Reading this and all the other moaners on here you would think KTM had produced a lemon /SNIP.....
you have to remember, many of us came from other brands, which obviously was KTM's intention - nothing said here, has been a deal breaker and not a single owner has regretted his purchase..... so lets settle down a bit and accept some criticism, that I'm sure KTM appreciates, as it's free advice, that can be rejected
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
Dr. Wolf
gpl
 
Dr. Wolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Italy
Oddometer: 20
Absolutely agree with you guys! Bike is perfoming in every spot.
I had a 950s my05 and was a fantastic bike, i try also the GS1,2 great bike but no emotion.
So i went back to the 950 but unfortunately it has been stolen.
after the sad moment i was passing through a 690 and an Africa queen!
Now i just got this great bike, was not easy to choose among the 990 MY2013 or the 1190 R
I'm happy like a small kid, my wife help me, actually push me to buy a new bike for my half century birthday.

Lots of thinks have been written on this amazing forum who made me turn to the 1190.
Thanks to all you for your continuous support.
Dr. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #37
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tancakar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: London , UK
Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
Threads and posts like this

What's happened!?! You go away and ride your bike for a few weeks and OC turns into GSpot!! Reading this and all the other moaners on here you would think KTM had produced a lemon and that you can tell a 1190 rider cos his left thigh is on fire, he has bloodshot eyes from all the buffeting and he cries himself to sleep every night cos the indicator button is so whatever - not so, it is a superb bike!!

I have had my new 1190R 6 weeks and I have done 3000 miles. 1300 of them to watch Rossi win his first MotoGP in 3 years at Assen in Holland, on a trip via Normandy France and the Ardennes in Belgium with my brother on his Suzuki GSXR 1000.

The 1190R has perfomed way beyond my expectations, it has carried all our camping kit to Europe, commuted each week into London - filtering past everything, and carried my wife to the coast.

It is a different bike to my 990's and better for what I need in almost every way. The power is just there when you need it wth no glitches in the fueling, the Akrapovic pops and burbles on the over-run, the brakes are in a different league to what went before, the standard seat is all-day and I mean 600 mile all-day comfortable, you get a 200 mile tank range if you behave yourself, less if you don't and the mirrors give you great rear vision. But best of all its not a GS. It may have lost some of the Rally styling of the 950/990, but it still has the KTM DNA and it still looks and feels like my Enduro bike, especially the bars.

Anything annoying, well all I can think of and I am struggling here, is the little storage unit near the dash - it is useful (I keep a small front wheel disk lock in there) but the closing mechanism is cheap and weak. Also if you ride over 95 mph (150 KM) or higher for prolonged periods, it can get a little vibey in your throttle hand.

Errrr that's it...................

Yes you can feel the heat on your left thigh, but it is nothing to write home about, maybe if you are stuck in traffic in 30 degrees C or above - but the radiator temp does not move - it stays at 4 bars regardless of how you ride, even in traffic. The indicator switch really is not a problem, you just get used to it. And there is no buffeting - I am 5' 10" and on the highest setting (to fit my sat nav) it is absolutely fine.

I loved my 990R but the 1190R has moved things on and I am just enjoying every ride - I just hope I get to keep my licence - cos it brings out the naughty boy in you on every ride.....
No mate actually today I have some petrol in my left foot its all coming out from overload pipe. And when I stop if I look at that exit pipe it's got fumes coming out from it .that isn't normal.

For the last 5 years I ride the most advance bikes and ktm is one of them . As a 14000 paid customer I do have so expectations from the bike. I am happy with the bikes performance so far no problems . But mainly the things I am concern about the ktm technicians . I don't know how trained they are for this new bike? Are they really know more then us about this bike?

I bought the bike 8 weeks ago had my first service done and no problems but little annoying things which should have been sorted in the service.

First fuel problem I was having 28 mpg ! Go to the dealer they reset the ECU and 34 mpg in the city now which is ok.

Secondly my keys of the panniers wasn't fitting . They order me a set of keys 2 weeks to arrive and bam they are not fitting too. And then they customise it now my left bag doesn't come out from the rail. Tomorrow they will sortin out.

Now the third one I smell petrol in the traffic. London got some rush hour traffic and around that time the bikes get heat . Which isn't pleasant anyway but the petrol smell is almost dangerous . And I just missed my gear shift and look down my feet got petrol on it? I know there is a overflow pipe if the petrol tank is too full it gets the overfill out but I did have low fuel signal for god sake.

Forth yesterday as I was parking in Mayfair London I have got a low oil warning! Check the oil and it was almost empty in the screen. Called the dealer to ask the type of the oil they told me motorex 10w50 fully synthetic . Looked every where couldn't find in central London. ! Find it in else where which I travel with tube. Castrol 10w50 . I was missing 400 ml oil which is upsetting for me I am on 1350 miles . The told me it can loose oil some engines when they are new they do lose it. Fair enough.

I had 2010 kawasaki Gtr 1400 , Ducati diavel carbon, Ducati 769 hypermoto, 2012 Kawasaki zzr1400, Suzuki burgman 650 , and never had a oil problem before or fuel.for god sake even ducati diavel was 36 mpg in city :)

Anyways the reason I am not getting rid of 1190 is I always give second and third chance to everything. I think it is truly a brilliant bike and all bikes got some silly problems . Hope fully ktm will make some heat shelds for the future customers I know that we are sort of beta testing the bike .

1190 is still a bike. Would recommend anyone to buy and enjoy cause it worths the money.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:13 AM   #38
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DavidD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Down South
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Forth yesterday as I was parking in Mayfair London I have got a low oil warning! Check the oil and it was almost empty in the screen. Called the dealer to ask the type of the oil they told me motorex 10w50 fully synthetic . Looked every where couldn't find in central London. ! Find it in else where which I travel with tube. Castrol 10w50 . I was missing 400 ml oil which is upsetting for me I am on 1350 miles . The told me it can loose oil some engines when they are new they do lose it. Fair enough.

1190 is still a bike. Would recommend anyone to buy and enjoy cause it worths the money.
Tancaker - a deep breath, relax and..................breathe.................

KTM's, like BMWs like a bit of oil, especially when they are running in. Just before my trip to Europe I checked the level on the centre stand and topped it up to its max, at the campsite I did a school boy error, looking at it on the side stand and it was fine. But on getting back after 1300 fast road miles it needed 600ml to top it up. Nothing to worry about, you just need to keep an eye on it, it does settle down a little, but you will always use oil between services. You need a supply of the stuff in your garage and on the big road trips (1000 mile plus) maybe carry a small 500ml bottle.

Re the rest of your comments, two tihings - firstly it sounds like you have an issue with your particular bike - one that needs to be fixed, especially if it involves fuel. Second you have an issue with your dealer. London KTM dealers (if you can find one) are ok at selling bikes but not so great with warranty work or servicing - I would head out of Town to one of the more established and experienced dealers. Take your pick there are a few - have a look at the UK KTM forum and you will get loads of reviews of dealers and their service levels etc.

I work in London but live in the South West and I would not let any London dealer touch any of my bikes. Near me you have Crescent (WSB Team) in Verwood near Ringwood and further out near Plymouth you have JD Racing in Saltash, but there are lots of others north of London. What I am trying to say is make a day of it and travel out, enjoy the trip and get your bike looked after properly.

Certainly do not let poor dealer service ruin what is a superb bike.

Hope you manage to sort it................
__________________
KTM 1190 R ADV and KTM 950 SuperEnduro R
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #39
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DavidD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Down South
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
First fuel problem I was having 28 mpg ! Go to the dealer they reset the ECU and 34 mpg in the city now which is ok.


I had 2010 kawasaki Gtr 1400 , Ducati diavel carbon, Ducati 769 hypermoto, 2012 Kawasaki zzr1400, Suzuki burgman 650 , and never had a oil problem before or fuel.for god sake even ducati diavel was 36 mpg in city :)
Kawasaki GTR 1400 - Check
Ducati Diavel Carbon - Check
Kawasaki ZZR1400 - Check
Suzuki Burgman 650?1? - Aaaaahhhh Sssshhh - I would keep that quiet if I where you!!!

Anyway - fuel economy, in London in traffic I am getting 40/42 miles per imperial gallon, on the long runs and riding very enthusiastically I am getting 48 mpg, sometimes more. So referring back to my earliar reply you have a problem. It should be going into your engine not on your foot.
__________________
KTM 1190 R ADV and KTM 950 SuperEnduro R
Moto Guzzi Griso
BMW HP4 Competition
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #40
Babatad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Babatad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Always in different locations
Oddometer: 114
Amazing bike

Did the first 200km ride on the bike today keeping the revs friendly during the break in period and omg this bike is amazing. Really need to be careful on the throttle, so easy to go from 0-100. Scared myself a couple times but haven't ridden a bike that makes me smile as much as I did today.

The amount of stares and head turning the bike gets while parked is a perk all KTM 1190 Adv riders are enjoying no doubt. Can't wait to ride it again.
Babatad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #41
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
No mate actually today I have some petrol in my left foot its all coming out from overload pipe. And when I stop if I look at that exit pipe it's got fumes coming out from it .that isn't normal.

For the last 5 years I ride the most advance bikes and ktm is one of them . As a 14000 paid customer I do have so expectations from the bike. I am happy with the bikes performance so far no problems . But mainly the things I am concern about the ktm technicians . I don't know how trained they are for this new bike? Are they really know more then us about this bike?

I bought the bike 8 weeks ago had my first service done and no problems but little annoying things which should have been sorted in the service.

First fuel problem I was having 28 mpg ! Go to the dealer they reset the ECU and 34 mpg in the city now which is ok.

Secondly my keys of the panniers wasn't fitting . They order me a set of keys 2 weeks to arrive and bam they are not fitting too. And then they customise it now my left bag doesn't come out from the rail. Tomorrow they will sortin out.

Now the third one I smell petrol in the traffic. London got some rush hour traffic and around that time the bikes get heat . Which isn't pleasant anyway but the petrol smell is almost dangerous . And I just missed my gear shift and look down my feet got petrol on it? I know there is a overflow pipe if the petrol tank is too full it gets the overfill out but I did have low fuel signal for god sake.

Forth yesterday as I was parking in Mayfair London I have got a low oil warning! Check the oil and it was almost empty in the screen. Called the dealer to ask the type of the oil they told me motorex 10w50 fully synthetic . Looked every where couldn't find in central London. ! Find it in else where which I travel with tube. Castrol 10w50 . I was missing 400 ml oil which is upsetting for me I am on 1350 miles . The told me it can loose oil some engines when they are new they do lose it. Fair enough.

I had 2010 kawasaki Gtr 1400 , Ducati diavel carbon, Ducati 769 hypermoto, 2012 Kawasaki zzr1400, Suzuki burgman 650 , and never had a oil problem before or fuel.for god sake even ducati diavel was 36 mpg in city :)

Anyways the reason I am not getting rid of 1190 is I always give second and third chance to everything. I think it is truly a brilliant bike and all bikes got some silly problems . Hope fully ktm will make some heat shelds for the future customers I know that we are sort of beta testing the bike .

1190 is still a bike. Would recommend anyone to buy and enjoy cause it worths the money.
***************

By the way . . . . There is an oil-site glass conveniently located on the mount side of the bike:

"yesterday as I was parking in Mayfair London I have got a low oil warning!"



Note item #1:


__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 03:07 PM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #42
billbart
Just this guy
 
billbart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 34
This is getting funny!

This is what I like about the OC! No whining or you'll hear about it. My only complaint about the new 1190 is I don't have one! I ride an '07 990 Adv among others and that bike has all the quirks that are mentioned on this forum. None of the "issues" ruin my experience, with riding technique, they are part of the fun. Enjoy your 1190s and let's hope there are not any real issues with the bike. Let the harrassment of the whiners continue...
billbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #43
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Palomar Mountain
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbart View Post
This is what I like about the OC! No whining or you'll hear about it. My only complaint about the new 1190 is I don't have one! I ride an '07 990 Adv among others and that bike has all the quirks that are mentioned on this forum. None of the "issues" ruin my experience, with riding technique, they are part of the fun. Enjoy your 1190s and let's hope there are not any real issues with the bike. Let the harrassment of the whiners continue...
Yes, lets have posts about the good features of the bike, but no one should mention anything negative.

Besides, here in the US we have not experienced any of those quirks anyway.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #44
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jaimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 1,206
Tancakar, I just don't get it...

I understand your particular bike has some problems so even though it seems you love it you have the right to hate it if you wish, and that's fine, you paid lots of bucks for it and you should get a flawless piece of engineering. Again, it's fine if you love it or hate it.

I've been following all 1190 threads and always found you strongly recommending it to all people who are in doubt, at the same time your particular bike was showing problems.
You praised its offroad capabilities compared with other adv bikes, encouraging people to get one. I was interested in how the standard version performed offroad so I asked you about it and you said you just rode it in a gravel road for a mile...
And now you regret buying the 1190 and you are saving to get a GS. That's fine too. Just pick a lane...

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to offend you, I really appreciate 1190 owner's comments since I really like this bike -not enough $$$ to get one though and not sure if I like my 990 better- and while nobody should buy a bike based on what he reads on the internet, if someone were trusting in your comments to make his decision...

Jaime
__________________
Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #45
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Yes, lets have posts about the good features of the bike, but no one should mention anything negative.

Besides, here in the US we have not experienced any of those quirks anyway.
This thread is the reason I started a positive OC thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900437
__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 06:56 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014