User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
silicone for adhering protection to engine case

When I installed Procycle's case protectors on my DR650, I used the orange, high-temp silicone. Worked well, but the orange was visible and ugly. I read that a thicker silicone layer offers cushioning and therefore better protection, so the stainless steel was bedded in between 1/16 and 1/8" of silicone.

I am about to install a homemade stainless steel case protector for the shifter on my WR250R. Thank you cjbiker for the dollar store stainless steel spatula idea: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=34553

All silicone is somewhat temperature resistant, and I'm wondering whether plain old silicone sealant would work as well as the high temp variety. Clear or black would look a lot better than orange. If high temp is better I'll use it, but if no difference, I'd rather use something less noticeable.

I don't have an accurate way to measure the temperature of my engine cover, so I am asking for advice. Does the cover get hot enough that I should use high-temp, or will any old silicone do?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
DrFxr
Dashboard Jesus

Oddometer: 1
I used permatex "right stuff", which is black, just because I had a can handy. It's good from a constant -75 to 450f, 500f intermittent, and oil, ATF, etc resistant. I scuffed the insides of the armor as well as my cases with 80 grit before applying. There is a thread on DRRIDERS.com on the subject, and as i recall about every color of permatex has been used successfully. Keep a lint free shop towel and some lacquer thinner handy, you can use it to wipe off any oozing and smooth out the the bead around the edge.
DrFxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
indr

Oddometer: 1,197
Hondabond HT. It's medium gray. Sensor, oil, gas safe too. Available at your local Honda dealer. Most likely cheaper at a car dealership.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,325
the Ultra gray (not Honda) is designed for vibration resistance, it cures to a harder finish
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Plain old clear silicone caulk is good up to 300 degrees. If that's not good enough those case protectors won't be any help either.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I used GOOP from the hardware store.Auto parts stores have it too. Clear and adheres better than typical silicone.

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
thank you for the input

Got the case protector on my WR250R. When I bent my shifter on the trail recently, I bent it back enough to get me out of the woods, but it scored the alloy case while shifting. Per cjbiker's post in the WR250R/X thread, I bought a $1 stainless steel spatula at the dollar store, made a cardboard template, cut it out with a jig saw, then cleaned up the edges with a bench sander.

Cleaned everything with isopropyl, and used a bed of red high temp Permatex silicone to adhere it. I already had an open tube, and being cheap, just used it.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
When I installed Procycle's case protectors on my DR650, I used the orange, high-temp silicone. Worked well, but the orange was visible and ugly. I read that a thicker silicone layer offers cushioning and therefore better protection, so the stainless steel was bedded in between 1/16 and 1/8" of silicone.

I am about to install a homemade stainless steel case protector for the shifter on my WR250R. Thank you cjbiker for the dollar store stainless steel spatula idea: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=34553

All silicone is somewhat temperature resistant, and I'm wondering whether plain old silicone sealant would work as well as the high temp variety. Clear or black would look a lot better than orange. If high temp is better I'll use it, but if no difference, I'd rather use something less noticeable.

I don't have an accurate way to measure the temperature of my engine cover, so I am asking for advice. Does the cover get hot enough that I should use high-temp, or will any old silicone do?
You can use rubber washers as spacers to get a uniform thickness of adhesive. With a liquid-cooled or oil-cooled engine, I'd assume that 300F is about as hot as you have to worry about.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote