Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
chevyjlewis OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Ya trying to save money for a downpayment for a house as well so just trying to research as much as possible
chevyjlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I'm 5'9" and have no problem riding a stock height KLR. It looks tall but it's not bad at all. When I get on it leave the stand down, then put my left foot on the left peg, stand up and swing my leg over like mounting a horse, easy as pie. I can get both feet on the ground to walk it or at a stop light no problem.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Trooper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Don't overlook Honda's new CB 500X. I have read nothing but good reviews about the new Honda and the msrp is slightly less than KLR/Dr etc. Sounds like a good choice for a commuter/back roads machine.

Greg
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyjlewis View Post
I went to a dealer yesterday. They didnt have any super motos which is what i am leaning towards right now because honestly i will be doin alot more street driving than i will gravel and i doubt i ever make i to the woods. The klr that i looked at seemed monsterous as i am only 5'9" tall. I like the suzuki 400 alot. I need to save some money and do alot of research on price points and equipment/safety needs for both summer and winter driving. Also i have to find a time to take a safety course and start studying a liscence book for a written test
Sounds like you are about my size, and I also find the KLR to be too big.

If you are thinking supermoto, and saving for a house down payment, your best bet is a used DRZ400SM, possibly with a lowering link. All the work is done for you, and you can find them in the $4,000 - $5,000 range. I have seen a few with knobbie tires for better off road ability.

You could also supermoto something smaller or larger, such as the DR350SE, or XLR650/DR650, but it would end up costing about the same. Based on your road needs, I would say the 350 is too small. The 650 would be great for you, though.
I rode an older XL600R for years, and loved it. I made many trips across the state, sustaining 75 mph for hours.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #20
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post
DRZ400.
Faster than the 650 air cooled bikes.
Same weight as the 250's
Stone reliable.
I just went that route this year.

Life-long road only rider- wouldn't give dirt or DP bikes a second look.

But the DRZ400 is excellent for all sorts of riding, good weather or bad. It will do 70mph and still have more juice available.

I keep my '92 BMW K100RS clean. Get caught out in the rain on a ride? Always had to wash it once I got back home.
The DRZ? I have hosed it off once.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
chevyjlewis OP
Adventurer

ya the 400 super motos seem perfect for me. my gF gave me the OK so now i just need to look for the perfect bike in missouri. any help is appreciated
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,626
I've been using searchtempest.com. It searches craigslist and eBay at whatever radius you choose. I've been seeing a few DRZ400SM bikes per month in California. I bet you'll find one pretty quick near you.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
chevyjlewis OP
Adventurer

Thanks Herb. i will check out the website. i have been on craigslist locally and found some good ones. just have to get a motorcycle liscence and a motorcycle safety class on scedule before i buy one. and i need helmet and safety gear before that.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #24
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,596
Hey man, welcome to the obsession and good on you for finding the greatest motorcycle resource much earlier in your motorcycling career than I did!

I have two pieces of advice:

#1. The search function here generally sucks....unless that is you want to search a specific thread for something relevant. For some reason the "search this thread" feature works great. I don't ask I just accept

Otherwise if you want to search all of ADVRider for something (a bike, specific piece of gear, etc.) type this into Google:

site:advrider.com WhatIAmLookingFor

#2. Buy used! What you want and how you ride are probably at least a bit different then what you think right now. There are SO many factors that go into this: what you actually end up enjoying, individual bike ergonomics, where and what your buddies ride, etc.

Just watch the market and don't get taken on your first bike (it's OK to bring a friend!) As long as that purchase goes OK you can always sell that bike (or keep it!) and get the bike you know you will want and need after you get some experience.

Good luck man. I hope your experience is as fulfilling as mine has been.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote