Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #346
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post
Does this one have cruise control, or is that only the GS 1200's?

Cruise control would be sweet for laying down the miles.
Doesn't have it since it's not ride-by-wire (electronic acceleration). You still can get manual cruise control on it. Have it and works great.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #347
mmmmbeeeeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
is it worth it?

I'm looking at upgrading from my KLR sometime before the end of the year and I'm wondering - would you be better off getting a normal F800GS and using the extra money for farkles/suspension upgrade?

Seems 2013 800GS demos with around 1000K are available in OZ for around $17,500 OTR whereas I understand the OTR cost for the adventure is around $22,000.

I'm leaning towards the standard F800GS and using the difference to upgrade it. I think I'd prefer Altrider or TT stuff anyway and you can currently get more to fit the standard 800GS.

It seems to me the only things you couldn't add to a normal F800GS would be the larger fuel tank and the Enduro mode. Are they worth it?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

P
mmmmbeeeeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #348
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmbeeeeer View Post
I'm leaning towards the standard F800GS and using the difference to upgrade it. I think I'd prefer Altrider or TT stuff anyway and you can currently get more to fit the standard 800GS.

It seems to me the only things you couldn't add to a normal F800GS would be the larger fuel tank and the Enduro mode. Are they worth it?

Thoughts?

Cheers,

P
I can't tell you about the enduro mode, haven't had the chance to test ride one but regarding the fuel tank:

One of our members has designed a aux-fuel tank for about 500$ that will take 7 liters fuel in it. WAY cheaper than the ADV model or the Touratech version for the previous GS's. Before spending the extra cash on the ADV model, how about a standard GS with farkles + fuel tank IF you need it.

In your position I'd take the old GS, farkle it and don't worry about the enduro mode. ABS can be disactivated and ASC isn't worth the money on that bike (IMHO)... wouldn't take an ESA version too but that is just me, prefering to buy an aftermarked suspension.

R1150GSA SE

Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #349
mmmmbeeeeer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
... ASC isn't worth the money on that bike (IMHO)... wouldn't take an ESA version too but that is just me, prefering to buy an aftermarked suspension.
Thanks - that's pretty much what I as thinking although I'd be surprised if there are any in Australia without ASC and ESA.

P
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #350
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmbeeeeer View Post
Thanks - that's pretty much what I as thinking although I'd be surprised if there are any in Australia without ASC and ESA.

P
can't you order one from factory without these options? I know in France it takes about 4 weeks to get what you want from factory.

R1150GSA SE

Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #351
slowpoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I'm just waiting to order an new brake pedal. It should fit my 2010 hopefully.
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #352
mmmmbeeeeer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
can't you order one from factory without these options? I know in France it takes about 4 weeks to get what you want from factory.
Yes, but that would be a special order and if you want to pick up a demonstrator you have to take what's available. I haven't seen any without it.

P
Old 07-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #353
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Whew money saved.

I guess I'll just keep my 2009 F800GS pack gas and save a stack money.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #354
sbn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
How long will it be before one of the big companies makes a tank crashbar like the one on the 1200 gsa?? Will TT be first?

Went to a BMW dealer yesterday... Im totally in love with this bike... for reference Im 6' and 207 pounds (184cm 94kg)

sbn screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 03:27 AM
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #355
NanookWolf
MeAndMyCamel

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
I picked mine up last week. I did have the Short seat added. I have a 29 inch inseam and can get at least one foot flat on the ground with a slide slide to the side. Loving the bike but due to weather and business I haven't had time to rack up many miles. It does seem a bit top heavy with a full load of fuel but I think its just that its a tall bike. Underway its a dream and seems like its on rails!
Just curious if you're finding the short seat to make a big difference? I am similar inseam and thinking the short set will better for in town riding. Looks like there is a 1.2 inch difference which doesn't sound like a lot but perhaps it is? Cheers!
NanookWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #356
terrible0ne
n00b

Oddometer: 1
total price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapadu View Post
Here are pics of the beast i did this week-end:
(no ride test possible)

The seat, not so comfortable as it seems

the new crash bar

The new Auxlights with special HW to fixe them

and the new logo

yo, so how much exactly were these lights? can you control them independently from high beams? does the indicator light up on the dash? Do you have a separate switch to control them? Look amazing!
terrible0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #357
Jhawkins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
The aux lights work awesome, especially for lighting up the shoulders of the road ahead. They do operate independently, on a thumb switch, and yes, there is an indicator on the speedo that lights up when they're on.

Not sure how much extra they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Jhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #358
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
[QUOTE=sbn;21822092]How long will it be before one of the big companies makes a tank crashbar like the one on the 1200 gsa?? Will TT be first?
Agreed why would you not produce a GSA 800 with the same type of protection you give the 1200 GSA. And how about a real bashplate. These would been two things I would have put on it. The rest other than the bigger gas can is just fluff.
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #359
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn View Post
How long will it be before one of the big companies makes a tank crashbar like the one on the 1200 gsa?? Will TT be first?
Agreed why would you not produce a GSA 800 with the same type of protection you give the 1200 GSA. And how about a real bashplate. These would been two things I would have put on it. The rest other than the bigger gas can is just fluff.
Well for BMW the OEM aluminium bashplate is a "real bashplate", otherwise you've to keep the plastic one... I agree with you that it doesn't look like it could take much. It sure is fine for sand but not for rocks...

But I have to say other than the tank I like the foglights. Well integrated... but I don't think that the windshield alone would be sufficient. Seems like it would generate more buffing than before.

R1150GSA SE

Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #360
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,186
[QUOTE=G-Mac;21847767]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn View Post
It is a real bash plate, you can bash it right in until you bust your sump The big GSAs is no better, both being much too thin to stand up any real abuse.

I too would be replacing it with a much heavier unit right out of the showroom.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote