Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
jbuggyus OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for all the response, this makes me feel better about the year of the bike. I do know these are great bikes and with hardly any electronic components to deal with is a bonus as well. Yes it does have ABS and I will plan on replacing the brake lines and flush the brake fluid. There has also been a lot of maintenance done already so I will go through with a check list and see what has and hasn't been done. Thanks
jbuggyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:30 AM   #17
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
That era BMW's were very well put together. Many of the fitting like stainless clamps and other details are superior to newer models. The R1100GS engine is delightful power-plant, with great low end grunt and superior engine braking to the R1150. It also has a cable clutch which is good maintenance wise and will make your fingers stronger. Much heavier to pull than the hydraulic clutch, but you get used to it fast.
Areas of concern on that model is periodic spline lube, the original M94 transmission had some problems on certain bikes, upgrading to M97 specs is a common fix. Though many bikes like mine with 90k miles still have the original M94 and have no problems. Rewiring or replacing the hes sensor is likely necessary if it hasn't already been done.
In Australia there was a rash of broke transmission mounts and TT made the "hard part" fix If you plan to ride it hard heavily loaded in the outback that's a good idea to do the fix. American bikes which spent most of their lives on smooth road did not break often.
Wear items like brakes and shocks run into a fair amount of money, if you're on a tight budget keep those in mind. The stock seat pretty much sucks so bear that in mind also.
Once all the little particularities of that model have been sorted it makes for a very reliable, economical and pleasant bike to ride.
The best deals would be on a well cared for higher mileage bike where the previous owner has already sorted out all the little stuff.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,728
Am heading to 135K on my '96. I've loved having it. Came from a long time on Airheads so learning curve was a cinch.

Bought mine at 66K and things kinda trickled in here and there needing updating/replacement:

**Brake master replaced (rebuilt once by PO, once by me. Research this)
**Final Drive seal (large) (seal was updated in production, later seal better)
Leaky left head gasket (gaskets upgraded in production, later better)
Worn right throttle body (go used or rebuild)
Ohlins shocks (from PO) both need overhaul, had to find used stockers to keep riding daily-driver GS.
**Driveshaft at 116K (front joint got bindy)
Fork seals
Seat vinyl eaten up by UV (eBay for used)
Cam chain tensioner (not a failure, just a nice quiet production upgrade)
Headlight switch melted (circuit is unfused and needs relay. Replaced w/ used until later circuit upgrade)
Headlight H4 female terminal melted (see above)
**Hall sensor failed in classic style (but also 6 miles from home on the way back from 2 states away )
**Oil pressure switch
Steel tank lining coming off in sheets (went with a good plastic '95 tank until steel unit can be cleaned)

All this stuff adds up to some solid $$, but it's just an item or 2 per year in the 6 years i've had it, not all at once. All ops done by me, it's never seen a pro shop. I would tackle major overhaul of every component on the bike, with possible exception of gearbox. And there's so much experience and wisdom here that given enough time, i might even make a go at that.

Been through a pile of tires, brake pads, oil and filters etc.

engine (aside from head gasket and cam tensioner), gearbox, clutch throwout stuff, brain, alternator, fuel pump, ABS, wheel & swingarm bearings, and final drive gears are as-is from assembly line in Berlin.

I like it on ranch roads, logging roads, gravel, etc. Deep sand not so much. It does Urban Warfare commuting and grocery getting par excellence. They don't tout that much in the promotionals b/c it's not as sexy as Dakar/Globetrotter fantasy-- but the GS as Uber Hooligan bike is one of the strongest suits the GS fills IMO

I like it a ton. I'd buy another

EDIT for show-stoppers:

** = potential show-stopper item. Some of these can be nailed by preventive replacement/maintenance, some can be carried on the bike for roadside fix. Do your homework/research

I will echo JimvB that if you get this bike, you need to spend the coin up front to get every inch of brake line changed to braided stainless if it does not have it already. Start searching 'Galfer' and 'Spiegler' on this topic. Both firms are well-known/well-used and have turn-key kits to handle every line on the bike. Lots of local hydraulic shops can make SS braided custom lines now, but you'll prolly pay less/less hassle getting a kit from firms that specialize in these fitments.

Enjoy

Mugwest screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 07:24 PM
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #19
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Am heading to 135K on my '96. I've loved having it. Came from a long time on Airheads so learning curve was a cinch.

Bought mine at 66K and things kinda trickled in here and there needing updating/replacement:

Brake master replaced (rebuilt once by PO, once by me. Research this)
Final Drive seal (large) (seal was updated in production, later seal better)
Leaky left head gasket (gaskets upgraded in production, later better)
Worn right throttle body (go used or rebuild)
Ohlins shocks (from PO) both need overhaul, had to find used stockers to keep riding daily-driver GS.
Driveshaft at 116K (front joint got bindy)
Fork seals
Seat vinyl eaten up by UV (eBay for used)
Cam chain tensioner (not a failure, just a nice quiet production upgrade)
Headlight switch melted (circuit is unfused and needs relay. Replaced w/ used until later circuit upgrade)
Headlight H4 female terminal melted (see above)
Hall sensor failed in classic style (but also 6 miles from home on the way back from 2 states away )
Steel tank lining coming off in sheets (went with a good plastic '95 tank until steel unit can be cleaned)

All this stuff adds up to some solid $$, but it's just an item or 2 per year in the 6 years i've had it, not all at once. All ops done by me, it's never seen a pro shop. I would tackle major overhaul of every component on the bike, with possible exception of gearbox. And there's so much experience and wisdom here that given enough time, i might even make a go at that.

Been through a pile of tires, brake pads, oil and filters etc.

engine (aside from head gasket and cam tensioner), gearbox, clutch throwout stuff, brain, alternator, fuel pump, ABS, wheel & swingarm bearings, and final drive gears are as-is from assembly line in Berlin.

I like it on ranch roads, logging roads, gravel, etc. Deep sand not so much. It does Urban Warfare commuting and grocery getting par excellence. They don't tout that much in the promotionals b/c it's not as sexy as Dakar/Globetrotter fantasy-- but the GS as Uber Hooligan bike is one of the strongest suits the GS fills IMO

I like it a ton. I'd buy another

Ditto and AMEN!!!

btw the pic in my avatar was my 1996GS. I performed all of the aforementioned improvements etc, sold it with ~ 50k miles, the current owner has wrecked 3 times, flooded it, abused it, ( he is about as smart as a rock) and yet it serves him to this day, faithfully and still going strong at > 130,000 very hard miles!! That says a few things. The improvements as stated here are very worth while and also that the basic machine is fan-freaking-tastic.
IMHO, in 20 years they will be the bike of legend and very much sought after!!!

I am going to buy another, it will be sold at my estate sale! ( or willed to the next person who knows a thing or two about what makes one of the best bikes ever created!)

Racegun screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 10:29 AM
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #20
RoadGrime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Sold my 1991 K100RS a year ago to get a '98 R1100GS! That's called an upgrade for me!
RoadGrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGrime View Post
Sold my 1991 K100RS a year ago to get a '98 R1100GS! That's called an upgrade for me!
I have done that also

Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #22
jbuggyus OP
n00b

Thanks for all the input, it sounds like I will go ahead and pull the trigger on this bike. Just do the few upgrades , keep up with the maintenance and enjoy riding the bike ,I can't wait!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,776
Here is some motivation for you.

I talked to this rider on the 4th of July as he pulled into the checkpoint as he is running in the 2013 Iron Butt Rally and his 1100 GS is getting ready to turn 200,000 miles.

IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
Pekkavee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
I talked to this rider on the 4th of July as he pulled into the checkpoint as he is running in the 2013 Iron Butt Rally and his 1100 GS is getting ready to turn 200,000 miles.
What did he say?

Pekka
Pekkavee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #25
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekkavee View Post
What did he say?

Pekka
He said the bike makes lots of noises but is running great. Lol
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
jbuggyus OP
n00b

Well I have had the bike for just over a month now and ride it everyday! Man, what an upgrade from my old DR650(still a great bike) This r1100gs is like a Cadillac! Handles great, accelerates very smooth, and just a Great bike! I find myself taking the long way home just to keep riding it. I feel a long adventure trip in my near future! I wanted to thank everybody for their input and comments!

jbuggyus screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 08:42 PM
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
openboatt
Don't harsh my mellow

Oddometer: 276
Good to see you pulled the trigger bug

My 94 is a wonderful machine. Comfortable. Fairly reliable. I much prefer riding it to the S I have sitting in reserve in the shop. All this stuff fails eventually. Enjoy it in the moment. t
openboatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 448
A picture's worth a thousand words!

[IMG][/IMG]

Photo of Hank's GS1100 taken this summer.
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
R1000gs

Great Bike, wish I didn't sell mine.

Rock solid, YA a few fueling issues, but rock solid.
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #30
DrWatson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Hanks bike is doing well - and thats miles.

my 96 model is new with only 382000km :)
DrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote