Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
CoolHands OP
travelling

Oddometer: 32
Riding posture - upright or curved spine?

I have a recent ktm 690 (smc). I've previously owned the enduro version. Anyway, sometimes when I'm riding I think about my spine and sit more 'upright' eg sort of like the red version

but gradually without me realising I slump, and end up riding like the blue version:

which is 'right'?

I occasionally suffer from a poor lower back, but it's hard to tell if it's from my desk-job at work, or the way I ride my motorbike. What do you think is the right way to ride thumpers?
CoolHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
I think ride the way you are comfortable the most. I ride like the blue line and if I ride like the red line I feel like a dork
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,445
Do it like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sowBHgKCFk
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
ride with a kidney belt/back support and that helps a ton with posture.
i use this one: http://www.ruoutside.com/backthing-perforated.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Your posture can/should change all the time. Braking, accelerating, cornering all require some adjustment. If you are just riding straight like on a highway, do what is comfortable and change as needed. Move back, forward, etc.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
I think about it like riding a horse, if you ride with your back straight all of the impact force from road irregularities will go straight up your spine. Riding in a slump allows the impact to be gradually absorbed as it goes up.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Your posture can/should change all the time. Braking, accelerating, cornering all require some adjustment. If you are just riding straight like on a highway, do what is comfortable and change as needed. Move back, forward, etc.
This.

If you're riding straight offroad, you're doing it wrong.

On the highway, do what's comfortable.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
If you ride a sport bike with spine straight, you tend to sit on your balls which is uncomfortable. However, on day-long rides on my VFR, I sit with spine straight because it helps prolong the time I can ride before pain sets in between my shoulder blades.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I agree with this. Constant change to suit conditions, pace, terrain. I like a slight forward lean on fast highway on a dual sport ... (I have no shield) leaning in (curved spine) allows you to relax as the wind helps with support.

Standing up off road gets tiring ... so once again. Change it up.
I stretch at every gas stop (about 200 miles per). Slow, easy stretching helps my back a lot and can extend your riding day.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,045
I sit up on the tank with feet back like I am on dirt all the time, I think this causes me to ride arms bent, straight spine, weight centered. If you are crusing(not me) and you sat back on the seat and changed the geometry I think I would tend to slouch. The ergonomics of the bike mean a lot...
Old 07-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
To be more precise: You should lean forward and straighten your back when accelerating. You should lean back and crouch when braking. If you are sitting you should shift your weight only by leaning your upper body rather than sliding on the seat. Sliding is needed only when you must do extreme weight shift (or are riding a heavy bike).

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
I think about it like riding a horse, if you ride with your back straight all of the impact force from road irregularities will go straight up your spine. Riding in a slump allows the impact to be gradually absorbed as it goes up.
I disagree. Your back will survive longest when it follows the natural cure of your spine: Slightly inward at the bottom and outward toward the top. It assures efficient distribution of forces and load on your spinal vertebrae. If you roll your pelvis you either slouch or over correct. Both overload the spine and crate lower back pain. Slumped shoulders only exacerbate that. In the worst case wrong posture leads to spinal column compression, disc herniation or fractures.

But your back should never take any big hits in the first place! You should be standing and your knees should be bent slightly. They serve as additional suspension for your weight. Think about jockeys.

Mods: This thread belongs to "The perfect line and other riding myths."
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
When this guy is 54 yrs old (or less) he is going to say:
Oh My achin' back...............
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I think he is feeling it already! He was a top National MXer in the day!