Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #1606
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 832
I might be heading down to Mena Friday from Ozark if things work out. Some fantastic dirt roads on the way down there. I have some tracks buried somewhere. Not sure if I could post them even if I found them.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #1607
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,309
If I was at home I would join you but I am stuck in a monsoon in Florida. Next weekend for sure.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #1608
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
If I was at home I would join you but I am stuck in a monsoon in Florida. Next weekend for sure.
That rain's reaching all the way up to Eastern TN right now Tim. I'm kinda glad we took the car rather than ride. Some of the precip today was heavy. Wouldn't have been no fun at all on two wheels.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1609
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,661
I wish we would get some of that rain here!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #1610
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkrider View Post
That rain's reaching all the way up to Eastern TN right now Tim. I'm kinda glad we took the car rather than ride. Some of the precip today was heavy. Wouldn't have been no fun at all on two wheels.
Yeh! Pretty strange weather pattern. It has been pretty much stationary for a week. Reaches all the way to Michigan. I flew in here so I gotta make a break for it at my first opportunity. Hopefully tomorrow.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #1611
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Mena

Just some pertinent information on the Mena area camp out scheduled for July 19. A music festival is going on at Board Camp stating that weekend and going on until the 27th . May be a good idea to book a room if your going to stay on Mena. I stayed at the Ozark Inn (479) 394-1100. It ran $63 bucks for double occupancy. Clean and quite enough.
BTW did the 'k' trail today. It took four hours and ran 84 miles from Mena to Clayton. The wash outs were worse then last time. Lots of fun.
ps Here is a link for Crystal mining days. Marshall Tucker Band would be sweet to hear.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48705608,d.cGE
Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #1612
ericdb7g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
OK, I'm not 100% but I think new guy (me) is going to be able to make it to the Mena camping trip.

I'd like to meet up with a few people and ride some trails on the way down. My T63's will be in tomorrow :)

ericdb7g screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 11:32 PM
ericdb7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #1613
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

I always find some new and interesting roads to get to the Mena area. Hope ya make it, man, hope I can make it too.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #1614
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Preriding the Queen WIlhelmina route this Saturday so I should be posting the route Sunday or Monday of next week. I have several campsites with power and water reserved (Brett & Zach) for Friday and Saturday night the 19th and 20th. They have 40 campsites and the lady I spoke with said that only 11 had been reserved. I will check again early next week and give you an update on availability.

Diamond Rio is in concert Saturday night outside of Mena at a campground. Craig posted a link to it a few days back in this thread. Looks like a good time. Check out Craigs ride report in the AR Ride Report thread to get an idea of what the KTrail looks like. Hope to see a bunch of you'all there.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #1615
ericdb7g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Preriding the Queen WIlhelmina route this Saturday so I should be posting the route Sunday or Monday of next week. I have several campsites with power and water reserved (Brett & Zach) for Friday and Saturday night the 19th and 20th. They have 40 campsites and the lady I spoke with said that only 11 had been reserved. I will check again early next week and give you an update on availability.

Diamond Rio is in concert Saturday night outside of Mena at a campground. Craig posted a link to it a few days back in this thread. Looks like a good time. Check out Craigs ride report in the AR Ride Report thread to get an idea of what the KTrail looks like. Hope to see a bunch of you'all there.
I'm planning on sleeping in my hammock. Who do I need to contact/pay for a spot?
ericdb7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #1616
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:

Hhhm I have few chances left... Diamond rio ? 19th? Mena area? Riding? Pardon my delay but where can I find out more?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #1617
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdb7g View Post
I'm planning on sleeping in my hammock. Who do I need to contact/pay for a spot?
Craigs the expert on setting up hammocks with a little help from DHC's

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #1618
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:

I will be there Friday afternoon/evening. At this point I plan on camping. It will be pretty basic, probably in the truck, truck bed or under the truck. What can I bring?

I have to take my son to camp on Sunday so I will have to cut out after the ride on Saturday. Looking forward to riding this area, especially after seeing the pic's of the K trail posted earlier this week.

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #1619
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Hhhm I have few chances left... Diamond rio ? 19th? Mena area? Riding? Pardon my delay but where can I find out more?
Ride is the 20th of this month at Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Here is a link to the park website. http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/

Info on the concert can be found at this website. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...48705608,d.cGE

Everyone needs to make your own reservation for camping. The lady I talked to midweek said it was still pretty much wide open. I don't plan on bringing any food. There is a restaurant or grille right in the park and there was a vending trailer right next to the shower building. I should have checked it out but I do not know what they were serving up. I thought we could eat at the park or in Mena Saturday evening. I guess we will play that by ear. The concert is at a campground just east of Mena Saturday evening I believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb772 View Post
I have to take my son to camp on Sunday so I will have to cut out after the ride on Saturday. Looking forward to riding this area, especially after seeing the pic's of the K trail posted earlier this week.
Sounds good. We had a blast riding some of the trails over there yesterday. I hope the weather is half as good as it was yesterday. It was awesome as we were heading back to the park about 3 pm. Temperature was abt 70 degrees and dry.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #1620
OLEARY OP
Enlightened Voyager

Queen Wilhelmina Preride

Here are some photos and vid's of yesterdays preride. I pulled my new toy hauler to the campground Friday evening and arrived after midnight. Had a heck of a time parking in the dark with a new to me trailer so my backing a trailer skills need some work. Darel Williamson (UHDARELRIDE) and Bo Hawkins (Bohawk) pulled in before 8 am Saturday morning and we probably got riding about 8:30. It was cool on top of that mountain in the morning and felt great. Darel led us out to show us some trails and get a barometer on what level of roads we wanted to ride. Not far from the park we ran into a 'Road Closed' sign so naturally we had to see what that was all about. Turns out they were working on a railroad crossing. Only got a video of that.

Oh, what do you know, Oleary takes a dive! I thought I had it wired and then something happened and threw me back and I gassed it. Would never have happened if I would have been up on the pegs. Still learnin fellas!

After some minor bark buster bending we were back on the road. Cool operation that they were doing to the railbed. All of the workers were way friendly and helpful.

Down the road we stopped for a break to discuss our plans for the day. Darel was good enough to show us around the area. He lives in Arkoma. I have been told by those who know that Darel knows these woods better than anyone in the area. It was great to have a resource like that to help us find our way around.

Didn't take any more stills till after lunch when we were heading back on the Talimena Scenic Highway. Here are some videos of some of the trails we rode.

We had lunch at a little grille on Haws Creek Road. Food was good and the people were real friendly. They all knew Darel as he frequents the place quite a bit. When we left the waitress said 'Are you heading back into the woods'. I guess they know Darel pretty well. Bo was good enough to ride sweep most of the day. I guess it had rained there a day or two before we rode so the dust wasn't too bad. There was one short stretch that was mostly powder that was pretty bad.

Hit the Talimena Scenic Highway about 2 pm or so and here are a couple of scenic shots on the way back to the park.

This is how I had to park to get within reach of the electrical outlet. Had to move from my original space after not being able to reach the power outlet there. And all of this at 1 am in the morning. I would recommend a 50 power cord if you have a RV or toy hauler and need power.

Nice campground tho. It has some elevation and is pretty compact. Lodge is closed for remodel. Darel said that they brought a bunch of refugees from New Orleans after Katrina and they trashed the original lodge. Toy hauler did good on its maiden voyage. I still have some work to do and things to add to it but it has lights and AC so I am good for now. I will post the final route tomorrow evening. Hope you all can make it. Should be a good time.
Colorado/Moab 2012

OLEARY screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 11:21 AM