User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #46
Tripper-CMC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi Jeff,

Thought I would update a Google map to show your location based on your comments. Have a looksee and let me know where you stop and I will update it, If you give me a planned route I can add these too for you. Then anyone along the line can see you rolling along and hopefully they can offer a place to stay or offer some suggestions if they are familiar with the area.

This might help keep the costs down for you... everything helps!! As well maybe we can get you a room along the way using the CMC network if I know in advance where you are going to be.

http://goo.gl/maps/s1nWZ

Just helping a buddy out in whatever way I can...

Tripper-CMC
Tripper-CMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #47
sloj0
uber n00b

Oddometer: 30
Awesome!

I actually just completed a very similar trip to yours, except in reverse. I started in Chile and went north to Inuvik! Loved the Dempster Hwy!

You are in for a fantastic experience. Good luck to you although you sound like a fairly experienced rider who knows what he's doing, you should do fine.

Yeah, keeping to that budget is tough. Fuel and tyres were far and away the biggest expense of my trip. Plenty of free camping in the States, I loved National Forest land, so much beautiful empty space to roam, camp, ride, do whatever.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, as I said you seem to have it fairly well figured out, but if you have any questions or want some advice feel free to ask.

Oh, and I did it on a Tenere too! But the single cyl 660cc version.
sloj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #48
Krazycanuc
RCAF (rt'd)

Oddometer: 5
Hey Jeff,

I will be following your journey to South America.

Best of luck and courage.
Krazycanuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #49
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloj0 View Post
Awesome!

I actually just completed a very similar trip to yours, except in reverse. I started in Chile and went north to Inuvik! Loved the Dempster Hwy!

You are in for a fantastic experience. Good luck to you although you sound like a fairly experienced rider who knows what he's doing, you should do fine.

Yeah, keeping to that budget is tough. Fuel and tyres were far and away the biggest expense of my trip. Plenty of free camping in the States, I loved National Forest land, so much beautiful empty space to roam, camp, ride, do whatever.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, as I said you seem to have it fairly well figured out, but if you have any questions or want some advice feel free to ask.

Oh, and I did it on a Tenere too! But the single cyl 660cc version.
That's awesome sloj0, did you make a RR on this forum or did you do something ells?

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #50
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Another CMC'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazycanuc View Post
Hey Jeff,

I will be following your journey to South America.

Best of luck and courage.
Great to have you along Jacques.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #51
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper-CMC View Post
Hi Jeff,

Thought I would update a Google map to show your location based on your comments. Have a looksee and let me know where you stop and I will update it, If you give me a planned route I can add these too for you. Then anyone along the line can see you rolling along and hopefully they can offer a place to stay or offer some suggestions if they are familiar with the area.

This might help keep the costs down for you... everything helps!! As well maybe we can get you a room along the way using the CMC network if I know in advance where you are going to be.

http://goo.gl/maps/s1nWZ

Just helping a buddy out in whatever way I can...

Tripper-CMC
That's super Greg, can't thank you enough for doing this. Will see if I can get trip route planned and let you know.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #52
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 4

Riding into Manitoba is like someone hit it with a hammer, totally flat, what a difference from the Ontario side witch is nice and hilly with lots of curves and here absolute nothing. Drove through Winnipeg and started looking for a rest area to camp again, but none to be found for 150 km's, I guess Manitoba wants you to take a camping’s or so, so I pulled into one and asked first, how much, $25 says the owner and me how about $15 it's only a hammock, the owner alright that will be fine and do you want to take a shower with that, holy cow this guy wants to negotiate for a shower, so I tell him it's $15 and I do want that shower or I'm heading back out, alright he says. Looks like this is going to be fun for the rest of the trip, bargain hunting or get ripped.

Fond out that Super Tenere doesn't like regular gas much, only after two fill-ups because they had no super it started making a noise like you would hear when the oil is out on the old rod cam lifter engines (ticking), not constant but at certain revs, makes me wonder if I should bring along some octane booster or not, any of you guys have any experience on that matter, please let me know.

Did come across this cool airplane planted in the middle of town, reminded me of a show called Sky King that I always used to watch as a kid.

Next stop Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #53
Crazy Daisy
Daisy Rider

Oddometer: 1
Hi Jeff,
Sorry we missed seeing you before your departure. Sending you wishes for good weather and good roads. We will be following your trip with interest and envy. Take good care and enjoy every moment.
All the best, Patti.
Crazy Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #54
Krazycanuc
RCAF (rt'd)

Oddometer: 5
Moose Jaw Camground

Jeff,

Campgrounds that I could find on-line around Moose Jaw are:

Buffalo Pound/Elmview, from MJ, N 11 mi on Hwy 2 to Hwy 202, E 6.8 mi, $15 to $24/day

Buffalo Pound/Maple Vale, from MJ, N 11 mi on Hwy 2 to Hwy 202, E 6.8 mi,$15 to $20/day

Prairie Oasis Tourist Complex,955 Thatcher DR E.
Moose Jaw $34 to $39/day!!!
Krazycanuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #55
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
yup

I'm in. Rode the Dempster last summer..Interested to see how the hammock tarp thingy works for you in the Great White North.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #56
hdawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
place to sleep

if you are going down PCH 1 and get to Santa Cruz, CA., send me a message. Don't have camp space but can offer bed and shower along with a meal if that helps.
hdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #57
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Panama

Just offering up my help as well, when you get to Panama, you are welcome to hang your helmet at my shack on the beach. Stay a while and relax, enjoy the typical Panamanian lifestyle. Playa Uverito near Las Tablas in the Provence of Los Santos.
Safe travels

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #58
sloj0
uber n00b

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
That's awesome sloj0, did you make a RR on this forum or did you do something ells?

Jeff
I kept a blog, slojo.tumblr.com

re: your problems with regular fuel, you may encounter some issues further down the track as premium can get a bit scarce in some countries, an octane booster might be good idea.

Free camping got a bit difficult for me between Ecuador and Mexico, lack of open public land I guess, but cheap hostels are fairly common there.
sloj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #59
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,740
Quote:
Did come across this cool airplane planted in the middle of town, reminded me of a show called Sky King that I always used to watch as a kid.

Jeff

Wow! Beech 18 on Flotes!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #60
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 187
Wow! What a beautiful Twin Beech. Could use a little cleaning and some polish...
ETA: I'm a bush/float plane fan....

Quote:

'04 KLR650
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote