Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
xridedalightning OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cry Help! Can't access 1st gear- shifting between others difficult- drops into other gear

Hey guys, I'm new to forums but a friend suggested it may help. I have a 1989 klr650, and today I had been riding in pretty hot weather and I'm not sure where my oil went but it was almost empty. I regularly check it, must only have been 4 or 5 days at most since I saw it was fine. However today about an hour into the ride I lose the ability to shift into first gear, I push down and it just comes back up. (this caused me to stop and look at my oil level) As I try to get to the nearest gas station to get oil it starts to get harder to shift between gears, same problem it won't catch I guess it a good way to describe it. Upshifting hasn't been a problem but downshifting is where the trouble is. Then I fill it with oil and let it cool down (a small amount of white vapors were escaping the oil filling hole). Riding back the problems remained and it would change gears on me, and only once did I hear a grinding. What should I do guys? This is all I have- no car :(
xridedalightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,707
I am thinking you burned up your clutch. If I had to guess, I would say you need steels and fibers.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,838
Seems to me that if the clutch were burned up, it would be slipping. That would not cause a problem shifting gears. It's when the clutch won't completely disengage that causes a shifting problem. Could be the clutch overheated and warped the plates. Put it in gear, and with it at idle and the clutch pulled all the way in, see if it creeps forward. If it does, either it is adjusted wrong, or the plates are warped. If it doesn't, then your shifting problem is probably elsewhere. I hope it didn't lose oil pressure, if it did there will likely be damage throughout the engine.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote