Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 AM   #196
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Found my latest Ohlins catalogue. BM836 495mm long 80mm stroke. BM 541 498.5mm long 78.5mm stroke.
The BM541 has the reservoir but has a fractionally shorter stroke which would equate to 4mm less travel.
In theory you should be able to have a shock that's 498.5 mm and has 83.5 stroke

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 02:05 AM
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #197
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,532
I went for another ride at Woodhill today. It was even better than last time. they keep changing the tracks, so it's always a new experience.

Two downsides were that I lost my sunglasses and also had to switch to reserve on the first run. Although I was keen to hop on an intermediate track, I wasn't so keen to run out of fuel.

The beginners track was pretty rideable on an adventure bike. Not many beginners seem to use it. And the little kid that passed me as I got stuck on a hill due to lack of fuel, had no trouble getting around me. He was on a bike so small, I could have added it to my tool kit.

You really learn how to look where you want to go, as hitting a tree wasn't an option. I didn't fall off, but a laps in concentration saw me take an alternative route once or twice.

I got a couple of strange looks, but since I've stayed out of the "big boy's" tracks, nobody seemed to mind. If you are in Auckland, you should give it a go.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #198
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I went for another ride at Woodhill today. It was even better than last time. they keep changing the tracks, so it's always a new experience.

Two downsides were that I lost my sunglasses and also had to switch to reserve on the first run. Although I was keen to hop on an intermediate track, I wasn't so keen to run out of fuel.

The beginners track was pretty rideable on an adventure bike. Not many beginners seem to use it. And the little kid that passed me as I got stuck on a hill due to lack of fuel, had no trouble getting around me. He was on a bike so small, I could have added it to my tool kit.

You really learn how to look where you want to go, as hitting a tree wasn't an option. I didn't fall off, but a laps in concentration saw me take an alternative route once or twice.

I got a couple of strange looks, but since I've stayed out of the "big boy's" tracks, nobody seemed to mind. If you are in Auckland, you should give it a go.

Sounds like fun. I reckon taking a big adv bike out of its and the riders comfort zone is a bloody good way to upskill. Just ask the NADS. Remember them?
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #199
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,434
Did you notice the bike wanting to fall over sideways when going slow?
I always find Schmidt dropping to the right when slowing down for an obstacle or very tight turn. I put it down to the centrifugal gyroscopical effect.

Are you gonna come down for the cape to cape? We really should all meet up there and talk about cams, pipe tobacco, tartan vs sheepskin slippers etc.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #200
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Sounds like fun. I reckon taking a big adv bike out of its and the riders comfort zone is a bloody good way to upskill. Just ask the NADS. Remember them?
The NADS? I hardly remember what I had for breakfast.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #201
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Did you notice the bike wanting to fall over sideways when going slow?
I always find Schmidt dropping to the right when slowing down for an obstacle or very tight turn. I put it down to the centrifugal gyroscopical effect.

Are you gonna come down for the cape to cape? We really should all meet up there and talk about cams, pipe tobacco, tartan vs sheepskin slippers etc.
Real tight corners are a problem, but if I hang out my derriere far enough it's ok. I must be getting better at it, as I wasn't getting as hot as last time, even though it was warmer. I've learnt that I have to accelerate down steep sandy bits and to do a lot of the steering by shifting my weight.

I ride mainly standing up. Sitting down and sticking a leg out wasn't really working with all those trees around and some sections were really deeply undulated. When I first did this sort of stuff, my knees felt like they were going to popp, after a few km as I used to be way too tense.

But if you picture me riding, think slow motion, not Chris Birch.

All going well, I'll do at least part of the Cape to Cape. It's the panic time of the year for me, but a change of scenery will be good.

Personally, I prefer felt slippers, mine have Edelweiss on them.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #202
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

It's been quiet here, mainly because there has been nothing new. Now there is something new.

Basil is moving back to Blenheim, that's where I bought him from, even though he started out as an Aucklander.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #203
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Basil is moving back to Blenheim, that's where I bought him from, even though he started out as an Aucklander.
I assume change of job (based on your enquiries re Queenstown I guess you were looking)?

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #204
Padmei
enamoured

You moving down here? Oh goody goody
Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #205
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
I assume change of job (based on your enquiries re Queenstown I guess you were looking)?
Yes, been wanting to make the move for a while now. I had the choice, but felt more comfortable in Blenheim. Queenstown is full of tourists and I don't think I could put up with that in the long run. Plus the cost of living there was also a factor.

I'll always be happy to ride my bike down.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #206
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
You moving down here? Oh goody goody
Yes, I will be and I'll be expecting visitors once we're there , I hear it's only a short ride.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #207
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
No dam job makes moveing to Blenheim worth while...
Other than moles & rainbow just up the road...
A nice 400km saturday ride..
It's a nothing place....

Quess I'm in CHCH now for the long haul.... Think I have just bought a place
out passed Lincon..

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 07:28 PM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #208
Padmei
enamoured

Shhh Pete, Blenheim is a wonderous place - well actually it surprises me how parochial Marlboroughites are. There is good fishing, hunting, diving, strong cycling clubs, taking visitors to winerys, Best of all I'll have someone to visit & talk about important things like bikes when I have to visit the inlaws over there.

What do yo do for a job? Hopefully something to do with lathes & welders & stuff cos I know where there is a garage full of that stuff abandoned by the owner
Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #209
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Yes, I will be and I'll be expecting visitors once we're there , I hear it's only a short ride.
Oh goody, another local guide. Just half an hour from the Ferry
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #210
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Quote:

What do yo do for a job? Hopefully something to do with lathes & welders & stuff cos I know where there is a garage full of that stuff abandoned by the owner

Semi abandoned but NOT forgotten...
I will have somewhere to put them soon...but how the hell do yer move them.. "bit by bit"

Pete-NZ screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 09:59 PM
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote