User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #2791
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Finally! Someone 'gets it.' A group (8+ bicyclists) IS actually safer in a clump despite all the 'those cyclists are assholes 'cause they're blocking traffic' types.
Today, we had a group of about 16 in a double paceline. 4 Lane highway with middle turn lane (either direction). Bunched up, we took up the space of two pickup trucks vs. being strung out for 4-6 pickup truck lengths.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #2792
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
If sidewalk bicycling and avoidance of a traffic control device are illegal in my area and I cut across a parking lot and use the sidewalk for a short stretch to let traffic behind me vent, is that a valid reason? If I did this I would do it with caution and yield to any pedestrians.

Here's the scenario. A busy 4 lane road divided by a canal. The lanes are not wide enough to accommodate a bike and a car. I approach it from a side street. The street I want to be on is directly across the canal. My options are to catch a break in traffic and ride against traffic for about 100 feet on my side, cut across and go against traffic on the other side, then hit my desired street. The way traffic lights are timed, I can do this easily without interfering with vehicular traffic. My other option is to obey all the laws and in doing so I will have to ride in the lane for about a half mile out, u turn and ride a half mile back to get to the other side where the street I want to take is. If I do this I WILL piss motorists off and I will place myself in greater danger.

What should I do?
Use common sense?

We could play "what if" till the end of time and accomplish nothing. There are times and places where most actions are reasonable. The issue isn't about when a choice is reasonable, its when someone feels justified to transgress as a habit because..............
"Reasonable" is when it has no negative impact on others, excuses and justifications are for when something has negitive impact on others and we choose to do it anyway, the only "valid reason" is when its to avoid causing harm or to avoid being harmed

Lets be honest honest with ourselves, when we choose to transgress its to meet our own desires, not for the benefit of mankind.

IMO, the real issue is too many folks have decided they are above the law or make up their own, creating unnecessary conflict which perpetuates yet more bad behavior..
Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #2793
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolomoto View Post
Today, we had a group of about 16 in a double paceline. 4 Lane highway with middle turn lane (either direction). Bunched up, we took up the space of two pickup trucks vs. being strung out for 4-6 pickup truck lengths.

You spandex clad [sexual preference slur deleted]s need to get into single effing file so the rest of us that are DRIVING on this road can get past you slow-moving SOBs!

Geez! Don't y'all know that I PAY for this here road?! Where's YOUR license?!

Y'all would probably be even less of a problem going 3 wide x 5 long, but that's another group ride.

(looks like y'all had a great time! )

M
Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #2794
NYHatterasTrail
Banned

Oddometer: 58
I didn't mean to say I pass bicycles aggressively, even though there are times I am a bit annoyed when they take the full lane on a mountain road. My feelings are that if they are impeding traffic by their actions, then they should not do it ... it's dangerous for all involved. Take the full lane and move over single file to the right side of the lane. I don't feel this is unreasonable
NYHatterasTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #2795
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You spandex clad [sexual preference slur deleted]s need to get into single effing file so the rest of us that are DRIVING on this road can get past you slow-moving SOBs!

Y'all would probably be even less of a problem going 3 wide x 5 long, but that's another group ride.

M
IMO, Considering the road, and traffic conditions in this particular instance, anybody complaining about these cyclists is a total twat.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #2796
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHatterasTrail View Post
\ if they are impeding traffic by their actions, then they should not do it ... it's dangerous for all involved.
Umm is is not dangerous until someone else (not the cyclist/s) brakes the law and endangers all. Cyclist usually only endanger themselves, not others.

If the cyclist/s is doing something illegal - report it. Taking the law into your own hands leads to trouble, don't do it. Easier to say than do, but there you go.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #2797
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Quote:

Honestly this type of crap is what is annoying it is so much easier to overtake one bike than multiple bikes as you can just jump between if there is a gap between. If cars tailgated each other like that they would get booked.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #2798
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
As a fellow trackie, you know there's room for three wide in that group!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #2799
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
...blah, blah... it is so much easier to overtake one bike than multiple bikes as you can just jump between if there is a gap between....
And there is the fault in your argument. There would be no gap (that's the whole point of a paceline).

There was light traffic and other vehicles moved easily past in the wide open left lane.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #2800
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
As a fellow trackie, you know there's room for four wide in that group!
fixt

M
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #2801
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
And there is the fault in your argument. There would be no gap (that's the whole point of a paceline).

There was light traffic and other vehicles moved easily past in the wide open left lane.
but but but you're BLOCKING TRAFFIC that wants to drive up that lane!

...AND... you're not even going the speed limit! You should be on the bike path! Effing wankers just out for exercise effing the rest of us hard-working folks up. We're just trying to get home from a hard day at work!

Damn rule breakers!

M
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #2802
Oca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I have been watching this for 187 pages. What a simple question the OP made and how it how it has turned into a vitriolic diatribe (on both sides).

I live near Thousand Oaks, CA where Amgen is located. This is the 1st year the Amgen Tour de CA has not ended in Westlake.

I live in a cyclist mecca - great weather (all year round), great terrain, and country roads.

I find the cyclist quite neighborly.

Just my $0.02.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #2803
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 682
http://www.helena-arkansas.com/artic...#axzz2YYPulfH4
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #2804
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 682
http://www.fox16.com/news/story/13-y...qeE5DWG7w.cspx