Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #9811
tireone
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Clearwater Darlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
A friend mounted the Clearwater Darlas on the stock GS (2013 LC) mounting brackets and is quite happy with them.
I have a pair of Clearwater Darlas that I'd like to install on my GS LC but can't find a decent bracket. What do you mean by your friend using the "stock GS mounting brackets"?
tireone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #9812
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireone View Post
I have a pair of Clearwater Darlas that I'd like to install on my GS LC but can't find a decent bracket. What do you mean by your friend using the "stock GS mounting brackets"?
Call Clearwater they have a good clamp that goes around the fork.

iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #9813
smithdt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
P
smithdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #9814
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryj View Post
mjne didnt come with the bike,ask my dealer today and he said there wasnt any in the US and didnt know when they would arrive.
He is either confused or lying. My plug came with the bike stored under the rider's seat. Its red and hard to miss.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #9815
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
mjne didnt come with the bike,ask my dealer today and he said there wasnt any in the US and didnt know when they would arrive.
Are you sure he is a BMW Motorrad dealer?
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #9816
802mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Maybe it's been discussed before in this thread. If it has, I can't find it with
the "sucky search". And, I'm not bored enough to read every post in it.

I noticed that the new GS only puts out 5?? watts compared to the old one's
7?? watts.
I figured that's because of the LED lights so it doesn't need all that extra power.
One thing that always drew me back to BMW was the gadget power. I like lots of
gadget power!!!
802mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #9817
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802mike View Post
Maybe it's been discussed before in this thread. If it has, I can't find it with

7?? watts.
I figured that's because of the LED lights so it doesn't need all that extra power.
gadget power!!!
Yes new GS produces less but also consumes less.
I am not sure of the difference in what "remains" for the extra gear (might be almost same).
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #9818
jerryj
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
He is either confused or lying. My plug came with the bike stored under the rider's seat. Its red and hard to miss.
I'm pretty sure I know what I am looking for,but it isnt there.
jerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #9819
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802mike View Post

7?? watts.
gadget power!!!
It's a fair point especially If you don't have the LED lights. Even with the LED lights your probably only saving 40w compared to halogen. I have no idea how much if any they have saved on the electronics front but I would seriously doubt they have save another 100 odd watts to make the systems equal.
To make a proper comparison BMW would need to publish power consumption figures and I can't recall seeing this although I have seen it for the hexheads.
Maybe someone can put a meter on theirs and let us know?
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #9820
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
580 watts compared to 720 watts. So that's 140 watts less. Or 10 amps less at 14v.
There are only 2 spark plugs instead of 4. So that'll save some. I used to think a normal 2 plug system took about 4 amps, but I kind of doubt that these stick coil systems take that much. Anyway it's a saving there.
Let's say 2 amps.
Halogen headlight bulbs take 4 amps each, but LED headlights (or driving lights) only take 1 amp each.
So that 3 amps each saved for the two headlight bulbs or 6 amps total.
Now we're up to 8 amps saved.
And of course if you use LED driving lights instead of halogen, then you save another 6 amps.
That would be a total of 14 amps saved over what was provided for previously when the high beam was on and the driving lights were being used.
In total, the new bike as a system, has a 4 amp surplus over the old bike when just considering lighting and the ignition system. :)
RA & MOA #224

cjack screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 05:50 AM
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #9821
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
My plug was on the bike when I got it in April right after the "unveiling" event at our dealership.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #9822
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
I'd have The dealer take one from another in stock Bike.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #9823
jerryj
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
I'd have The dealer take one from another in stock Bike.
I think that is my next step Thanks All.....................Jerry
jerryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #9824
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
580 watts compared to 720 watts. So that's 140 watts less. Or 10 amps less at 14v.
There are only 2 spark plugs instead of 4. So that'll save some. I used to think a normal 2 plug system took about 4 amps, but I kind of doubt that these stick coil systems take that much. Anyway it's a saving there.
Let's say 2 amps.
Halogen headlight bulbs take 4 amps each, but LED headlights (or driving lights) only take 1 amp each.
So that 3 amps each saved for the two headlight bulbs or 6 amps total.
Now we're up to 8 amps saved.
And of course if you use LED driving lights instead of halogen, then you save another 6 amps.
That would be a total of 14 amps saved over what was provided for previously when the high beam was on and the driving lights were being used.
In total, the new bike as a system, has a 4 amp surplus over the old bike when just considering lighting and the ignition system. :)
Can you link to figures for the 1A per headlight? Current figures would have the actual light out put in lumens a fair bit under a normal halogen. Personally I think the LED lights will be neared 3A, more than happy to be proven wrong though.
As I said earlier what if you don't have LED as many don't? They don't come with a bigger alternator to make up for it.
Valid point about the 2 spark plugs that will save a bit but then you have the added synchro throttle bodies and all the other electronic stuff the older bikes don't have.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #9825
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
Can you link to figures for the 1A per headlight? Current figures would have the actual light out put in lumens a fair bit under a normal halogen. Personally I think the LED lights will be neared 3A, more than happy to be proven wrong though.
As I said earlier what if you don't have LED as many don't? They don't come with a bigger alternator to make up for it.
Valid point about the 2 spark plugs that will save a bit but then you have the added synchro throttle bodies and all the other electronic stuff the older bikes don't have.
Adding to the subject:

The GSLC not only has a new smaller alternator but also a new smaller battery (12 Ah).

In spite of very likely differences in watt consumption of the new versus previous model, the major reason for a change in battery capacity and, therefore, alternator capacity is the new starter system that uses much less energy to start the engine due to the new decompression system.

Although I find cjack's calculations perhaps too optimistic regarding LED consumption and Marki GSA more likely closer to the actual real value, the fact is that to know the real values one has to either measure them or get BMW's specs. The first are most likely easier to acquire...

What I think we can safely assume is that there are at least 5 amps available to the user as this is the limit of the accessory socket and another 1 amp if one doesn't use the GPS and an additional (estimated ) 3 amps if one doesn't use the original auxiliary lights. Most likely there is more watt reserve available, however, how many extra watts are available is, without measuring or BMW's specs, a wild guess.

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote