Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #346
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
if you like old outdated equipment, then the fjr is for you. To each their own.... thats what is cool about bikes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
What a fucking joke of a comment. Isn't there a separate thread for huge, heavy, Britsh touring triples with a sparse dealer network for you to post in?

If only the FJR had a bunch of brand new, gee whiz, largely ineffective and complicated tech on it so it could be "up to date."

I would put my outdated FJR up against the Triumph on any road at any speed. Even though the Triumph has an extra gear, it still turns more rpm in 6th than an FJR does in 5th. The poor old FJR is also quicker and faster with its old tech 5 speed.

Yes, the core of the FJR is old. And yet it'll still slam the door on the Triumph in any test of engine strength. And imho, reliable performance never goes out of date. Any owner who takes the time to set up his suspension on the FJR will be rewarded with a great handling, fast, smooth, dead nuts reliable coast to coast mile muncher. Outdated my ass.
Hell yeah, 20valves keepz it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
Yikes.... i just stopped in to this FJR page to see who was liking what, and I saw this. I have zero experience with the Yammy but I like all bikes. As far as the Triumph stuff goes.. error... I have a 2011 Sprint GT that is the closest counter-part to the FJR and it was treated like a red-headed step child in the US and pound for pound at 11k dollars new.... It gives the whole class of true " sport tourers" a run. ABS standard, tried and proven 1050 triple, 128 hp, great panniers and with the right pipe it just screams at red-line. I've ridden the big Beemer 6 and yes... its an awesome machine ( at least on the test ride) but at 26-30k by the time you are done... I'll take the Triumph GT any day. As far as the FJR... I am sure it is is very reliable. Just wondering if it has any personality?
WTF, the personality's in the rider!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #347
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
[QUOTE=dwoodward;21705409]

I have got to say that with a white face , it looks like the face of the new 650 Vstrom. (not a good thing) Wouldn`t mind having one in my garage though.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #348
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
[QUOTE=roadstar;21757638]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

I have got to say that with a white face , it looks like the face of the new 650 Vstrom. (not a good thing) Wouldn`t mind having one in my garage though.
+2

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #349
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
Yikes.... i just stopped in to this FJR page to see who was liking what, and I saw this. I have zero experience with the Yammy but I like all bikes. As far as the Triumph stuff goes.. error... I have a 2011 Sprint GT that is the closest counter-part to the FJR and it was treated like a red-headed step child in the US and pound for pound at 11k dollars new.... It gives the whole class of true " sport tourers" a run. ABS standard, tried and proven 1050 triple, 128 hp, great panniers and with the right pipe it just screams at red-line. I've ridden the big Beemer 6 and yes... its an awesome machine ( at least on the test ride) but at 26-30k by the time you are done... I'll take the Triumph GT any day. As far as the FJR... I am sure it is is very reliable. Just wondering if it has any personality?
In europe true sportstourers are ZX14,K1300S,VFR1200 and Busa. And they comes with two personalitys, wher one is soft and gental and the other is brutal and aggressive.

FJR is a great bike and if i am going one step closer to touring even tho i have the C14's brother i am thinking of the FJR.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #350
Devo 1
lurker extraordinair

Oddometer: 184
Well, I drank the kool aid, today:

Traded my 04 FZ1 in on it. There is alot of sport bike in the fjr. Very impressed so far. The cruise, the windshield, the ride modes; it just works.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #351
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,271
congrats Devo 1
Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #352
ChrisK AZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Congrats! I really like mine.
ChrisK AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #353
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Yes, congratulations! The more you ride, the more you smile!
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #354
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Did 160 miles on the Dept. of Public Safety EVOC track yesterday, teaching a riding class to motor cops.

View Larger Map

It's about 1.6 miles/lap; Google suggests it should take 6 minutes to go around. We were doing it- um- faster than that.

dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #355
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,534
Still haven't been able to have a go on one. Bah.

I did like the rumour that there is a mini FJR in the works at Yamaha using that new 3 cylinder motor. If it's got a shaft drive then i'll be interested.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #356
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Still haven't been able to have a go on one. Bah.

I did like the rumour that there is a mini FJR in the works at Yamaha using that new 3 cylinder motor. If it's got a shaft drive then i'll be interested.
Dear sweet lord YES. Someone needs to build a middle-weight shafty again. Call it 120hp at the crank and 475 pounds wet...

I used to have a Seca 750 with factory fairing and luggage (XJ750R), shaft drive. I sold it when I bought the FJ1100. sigh.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #357
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,534
Not sure we got that one on this side of the pond. We did get the XJ900 - which was a damn good road bike. As punters are getting older - i do wonder if a middleweight shaft drive / belt drive GT will come into it's own.
Yamaha could corner the market - Baby FJR / Super Ten / TDM - all using the new Triple 900cc motor.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #358
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Not sure we got that one on this side of the pond. We did get the XJ900 - which was a damn good road bike. As punters are getting older - i do wonder if a middleweight shaft drive / belt drive GT will come into it's own.
Yamaha could corner the market - Baby FJR / Super Ten / TDM - all using the new Triple 900cc motor.
Honda missed the mark badly with the NTV700. Hey, it was heavy, but at least it was underpowered. Something like 570 pounds and 70hp. That's like the bike above, plus 100 pounds.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #359
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Honda missed the mark badly with the NTV700. Hey, it was heavy, but at least it was underpowered. Something like 570 pounds and 70hp. That's like the bike above, plus 100 pounds.
"Hey, it's not fast, but it sure is slow."
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #360
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

No joy in Mudville

Or in Cranberry Township, PA, if you ride a BMW. But 4 of the top 5 Iron Butt Rally finishers rode FJRs.