Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
crg infidel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Question What is IT (465) worth???

Hey all,

I am looking at an '81 Yamaha IT465. It's been sitting in a shed for around ten years. He's taken it out for the occasional spin, but other than that, it's just been collecting dust. I'm excited about this model, as it reminds me of my beloved '81 PE175, but with more juice!!!

I had a look at it last week and what you see is what you get. I'm not seeing signs of blatant abuse, but a good deal of indifference is apparent. We couldn't get it to run for more than a few seconds, but he has since cleaned the carb, replaced the plug, and claims it's running "great". It seems to have plenty of compression, and I think it has potential. I'm sure a full round of the typical maintenance is going to be in order.

I'll be checking for the blown out case behind the kickstarter gear (which I learned about right here!). If anyone knows of any other specific issues to look at, please let me know

My concern is that the owner is wanting $950, and is dead-set against being "low balled". I have no problem giving the guy what it's worth, but I seem to be seeing better looking bikes for less $$$.

So.... If you were selling this thing, what you expect to get out of it?

Thanks, in advance!
crg infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
If I am not mistaken, that model could be made into a street legal bike (in some states). I had the IT 250, which came with all the turn signals and street gear. As it sits, it is probably worth $700 to $950, but plated it would be worth about $1300 to $1500.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
crg infidel OP
Adventurer

I am hoping to plate it. OR DMV says that it's old enough that they don't have emissions data for it, and a plate is there for the asking. (And $144)

Of course it'll need some road gear, but nothing too hi-tech.

I'll see if the owner will budge a little :)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
FJ_Kevin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
It's always hard to tell condition from a photo but that one doesn't look too bad and in general I'd say the enduro bikes are usually are in better condition than the mx bikes. Especially inside the motor.

Even so, check for play at the swing arm bearings (~$50 but not hard to do) and the wheel bearings. Ask what oversize the bore is on.

Look behind the fork boots for pitting on the fork tubes and seal leaks. Check sprocket and chain for wear and pipe for cracks and flat spots on rims and condition of spokes. The old DID rims can crack so check for that as well.

Also check air cleaner element to see what is there and if it is clean. One bike I looked at had a sock (yes a sock!) stretched over the filter cage instead of a foam filter. The carb intake rubber can dry out and crack too. Also check that the shock damping clicker is not frozen. Ask about the factory tool kit and manuals.

There is nothing that isn't available or fixable on these bikes but a good check may help get the price down some. I do think they are great bike though and will give you satisfaction for a long time!

On price, I paid $725 for my IT490 and $500 to have it shipped to me. It had a street title which is why I wanted it and was willing to pay the shipping.

I had to replace rear tire, pipe and fix base gasket and re-jett. I liked it so much after that I replaced the plastic. I love the thing!

I paid $700 for a running yz 465 that is pretty beat up but that came with a couple of boxes of spares. Another yz 465 was $1250 and came with nice wheels and other goodies but I still rebuilt the motor (new crank bearings and seals). It had a new piston but also a loose gear tooth wedged in the transmission case from a previous failure so I am glad I took it apart for a looksee.

I also paid $900 for a yz 465 that ran but was very worn out. This was a mistake on my part but I was just getting back into it and trusted the word of the seller too much, my bad.

Yesterday I bought a '80 Husky 250 for $500 with a locked motor that needs plenty of work but the alloy tank is pretty good and the ohlins are rebuildable. I also have a Husky 390 with its motor on the bench. I feel the Yamaha 465/490 are much better than the Husky motors... big difference in the crank! The Yamaha parts are significantly cheaper.

One other comment. With the price of gas and value of time, I guess I have gotten to the point that $100 one way or another will not stop me from buying a bike if I want it. Of course there were time in life where I did not have that luxury but still something to consider.

Good luck with your negotiations, I hope it works out!
Kevin

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,160
I would give the owner $100 to keep that bike away from me.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
crg infidel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
I would give the owner $100 to keep that bike away from me.
If I buy it, and ride through Elburn IL, I'll expect $100 to leave!

(But, come on! That headlight is pure sexiness!!!)

crg infidel screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 07:42 PM
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
crg infidel OP
Adventurer

Thanks, FJ Kevin!

Thanks for giving me more things to look at! I know he just put on a new air filter (unless that what he call his socks!),and the carb boot is totally craptastic.

I'll have to meet the guy again and look at the other details.

I hope it works out! I can't wait to contribute to the adventure threads! Just getting it to be reliable may be quite the adventure itself
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,354
If everything is solid and fairly new, like the chain and sprockets. Starts like a champ and rips up the dirt, MAYBE $950 isn't too bad.

I'd give $400 tops.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg infidel View Post

My concern is that the owner is wanting $950, and is dead-set against being "low balled". I have no problem giving the guy what it's worth, but I seem to be seeing better looking bikes for less $$$.
it's a unique and historic bike in it's own right. the 465's set the open class on it's ear in their day. the fact that they made an IT version of it makes it a pretty cool bike.

ask yourself this. If he GAVE it to you, do you want to live with and ride a 35 year old big bore 2 stroke. there will always be cheaper ones and always be more costly ones. technology in brakes, suspension and engines have come a LONG way. you get that bad boy pointed in the wrong direction at the wrong time it will hurt you. good luck. personally I'd wait and find a nicer one for more money but thats just me.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,464
I paid $1200 for this one

Nice thing about yours (and mine) is that it seems to have most of the original parts.

I prob'ly overpaid but I don't care. I wanted it.

Only thing I had to realize the hard way is that Nachtflug is right, it's not a daily rider. I found out I remembered all the glory of owning an '80's two stroke and forgot all the misery.
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Kevin K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
[QUOTE=EsconDeasy;21802170]I paid $1200 for this one

Nice thing about yours (and mine) is that it seems to have most of the original parts.

You didn't overpay, you got deal

If you bought a tired IT490 for 100.00 you couldn't have restored it to that condition for another 1100.00. Not including your time
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,179
[QUOTE=Kevin K;21806113]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
I paid $1200 for this one

You didn't overpay, you got deal

If you bought a tired IT490 for 100.00 you couldn't have restored it to that condition for another 1100.00. Not including your time

roger that. take that up to Unadilla to the vintage weekend on Friday when all the cross country guys are there and put $1200 on it you'd have no problem selling it. that bike is pretty cherry all things considered and a good example of why I said pay more for a better one.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg infidel View Post
Hey all,

I am looking at an '81 Yamaha IT465. It's been sitting in a shed for around ten years. He's taken it out for the occasional spin, but other than that, it's just been collecting dust. I'm excited about this model, as it reminds me of my beloved '81 PE175, but with more juice!!!

I had a look at it last week and what you see is what you get. I'm not seeing signs of blatant abuse, but a good deal of indifference is apparent. We couldn't get it to run for more than a few seconds, but he has since cleaned the carb, replaced the plug, and claims it's running "great". It seems to have plenty of compression, and I think it has potential. I'm sure a full round of the typical maintenance is going to be in order.

I'll be checking for the blown out case behind the kickstarter gear (which I learned about right here!). If anyone knows of any other specific issues to look at, please let me know

So.... If you were selling this thing, what you expect to get out of it?

Thanks, in advance!

That bike looks like its in poor condition, and will almost certainly need a fair amount of money spending.

I would suggest paying a little more for something much better, or offering him half the asking price, which would mean you should be covered for whats required to get it sorted properly.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
Unless you are into vintage for the sake of vintage, that is just too much money for an ancient bike in that condition. I only paid $2000 for my plated MXC200 in mint condition with a full dual sport kit. A bike that blue beast would not even be able to keep in sight on a trail or track.

To me, the guy is either dreaming or looking for a sucker at that price. But I do love me some old DT's and IT's. That bike was the shit back in the day. So I might talk to him at $500 as it sits. At $950 he better be able to find all of the original plastic and it better run like a scalded dog.

To me, the one above was worth that kind of money and more. But not a beater in need of some love. So what if he doesn't want to be low balled? Put a few hundred on the table or walk.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 08:24 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,435
Those bikes with a good rear knobby tire will throw a rock the size of a basketball
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote