Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
ChickenMan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question 08 990 Adv Electrical - Starts and runs but no lights, speedo or tach.

My 2008 990 Adventure just started giving me a problem. I can start it and it runs, but I have no secondary electrical like lights. The tach and speedo do not work. The Tach does not do its little cycle on startup. I found a main fuse under the skid plate on the right side, but that seems OK. All the fuses under the cuby hole lid are good. There is no power to some of the fuses - looks like the ones that are being fed with a green wire. I have ordered a service manual to get a wiring diagram, but it not here yet and I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. I am thinking there is a fuse I am missing, a relay that is dead, problems in the ignition switch, or broken wire somewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated
ChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
ChickenMan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Found It

After consulting the wiring diagram I checked my "Lighting Relay". It had 2 holes in it which had allowed water into the relay and I think the contacts are fowled. I don't really understand how the relay could have been damaged but I bought the bike used.
In the future I will carry a spare relay since there are at least 4 like it on the bike, and also a little jumper wire with ends to fit the socket so that I can bypass a dead relay.
There are two good things to learn here for me, one is that even though the secondary systems wouldn't work, the bike would run so I would not have been stranded, and second, with the wiring diagram, which I will keep on my phone from now on, I would have been able to diagnose and likely patch together a solution so I could have finished a trip had I been on one when this happened.
ChickenMan is offline   Reply With Quote