Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #436
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldman1 View Post
This was a 20 year project bike that I started with one old part, a Kerker KR pipe off an Eddie Lawson replica. I always wanted an ELR but could never afford one so I built a clone. Based on an 82 GPz 750 frame and body work. Engine is an 82 GPz1100 with 1135cc MTC piston kit, ported head, the Kerker pipe and Mikuni RS36 carbs. LOTS of custom work to get everything fit correctly and look right. The thing is a rocket, it will pull your arms off from idle to redline. Handling is fantastic and the sound it makes with the RS carbs and competition baffle is music. Nothing sounds like an old aircooled big bore 4 cylinder with an original KR pipe.
It is for sale but it ain't cheap.
This is what I started with.
Wow! Great job!

But, I can't for the life of me figure out how you integrated the Ford front axle...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #437
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,308
As much as I've said that I find inline 4s bland, if Kawasaki built this bike....

That is one sexy machine!

Wish I could find a detailed build report on this bike to see how hard and expensive it'd be to replicate it, cosmetically at least.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #438
Taki
Waiting for Godot

Oddometer: 972
Awesome ZRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Dunno if ZR7 light is different to this one.. but there was the ZRX1200
(round headlight), ZRX1200R (fish tank) and ZRX1200S (half-fairing, FZ1 style).

Man, I've been lusting for a ZRX like this for a long time. Is it yours?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #439
baldman1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Wow! Great job!

But, I can't for the life of me figure out how you integrated the Ford front axle...
The axle went onto the frontend of the little Dodge D50 in the background
baldman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #440
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
Man, I've been lusting for a ZRX like this for a long time. Is it yours?
No such luck.
Got a naked bike but a tiny one compared to this (check sig line).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #441
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
When my wife backed into my '99 ZRX and broke the fairing (and a few other parts. Good thing I love that woman....) I rode it for a while with just the stock headlight and all the wires and crap hanging in the wind. I actually kind of liked the way it felt! The steering was a little lighter because of the lack of weight and the air flow, while more of it, was quite "clean". I started to look around to see what it would take to make a more finished look but in the end went back with the mini fairing. Although now I have a plain green fairing with no stripes. Actually kind of like it that way, too.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #442
jms415
KTM disciple

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
When my wife backed into my '99 ZRX and broke the fairing (and a few other parts. Good thing I love that woman....) I rode it for a while with just the stock headlight and all the wires and crap hanging in the wind. I actually kind of liked the way it felt! The steering was a little lighter because of the lack of weight and the air flow, while more of it, was quite "clean". I started to look around to see what it would take to make a more finished look but in the end went back with the mini fairing. Although now I have a plain green fairing with no stripes. Actually kind of like it that way, too.
Kbuckey... where did you get your fairing? Any aftermarket stores or straight from Kawi? I like the naked feel too, but on the freeway a little more wind protection would be nice.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #443
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms415 View Post
Kbuckey... where did you get your fairing? Any aftermarket stores or straight from Kawi? I like the naked feel too, but on the freeway a little more wind protection would be nice.

As I recall, BikeBandit.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #444
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
If you have that kind of sensitivity to that absolutely MINIMAL amount of weight (the "fairing"), you my friend should be riding MotoGP bikes.

CW

'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #445
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
If you have that kind of sensitivity to that absolutely MINIMAL amount of weight (the "fairing"), you my friend should be riding MotoGP bikes.

CW
It's pretty easy to tell the difference, actually. And no, I don't ride it that fast on the street. Hell, I was even slow with it on the track....
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #446
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
The hot setup for a round headlight on a ZRX is the big ol' train light from an early 80's Suzuki GS. How naked do you care to be? I hit a dog with my '04 ZRX yesterday. The radiator got smoked. The wife and I came out of it uninjured. The dog will be okay as well. Sure is a bunch of money for that little radiator..

Tracer and the ZRX..
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:46 AM   #447
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
Quote:

CW

I felt what he mentioned on a scooter that had the mirror/handlebar
mounted windscreen after taking it of. It's not much weight, but it's
where it's mounted that makes it that noticeable.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #448
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I felt what he mentioned on a scooter that had the mirror/handlebar
mounted windscreen after taking it of. It's not much weight, but it's
where it's mounted that makes it that noticeable.
I've got a little experience on bikes, and I think for you guy's it's more of..........you THINK there's a difference. As the saying goes, perception is reality. If you think there's a difference, that's all that matters!

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #449
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I've got a little experience on bikes, and I think for you guy's it's more of..........you THINK there's a difference. As the saying goes, perception is reality. If you think there's a difference, that's all that matters!

Chris
Could be. Could be there is a difference. I've only been riding for 45 years so WTF: Do I know how a bike feels? Maybe I just think so....
Old 07-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #450
woolyzero
n00b

Oddometer: 7
looking for a little insight. - i have an '04 zrx with 32000 miles on it. she runs great, but she has a really loud cam chain noise almost like a friggin train - clickety clack. better when she warms up but i can still hear it. i had the valves adjusted this spring and talked to my mechanic about it and he wasn't to concerned, he says the bike's running great. does anybody else have this?
woolyzero is offline   Reply With Quote