ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
Trailhound OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 5
Yamaha dt230 big bore kit

G'day fellas I'm new here so sorry If this is in the wrong spot but I was wondering if you guys could answer a question for me We got given a Yamaha DT230 L for free and has everything on it that we need to rebuild it but the Cylinder is scratched so I was wondering if I could get a stock YZ 250 big bore kit in it

Cheers Trailhound
Trailhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,121
yz250 is 66.4 mm x 72.0 mm

dt230l is 66.8 mm x 64 mm

so that's a no. not a drop in. unless you: trench cases, change rod/crank/etc etc. etc etc etc. lotsa work.
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
motu
Loose Pre Unit
 
motu's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 4,355
The DT230 is a big bore DT200....it started life as a 125, stretching to 250 is a bit much. The DT125 is an almost identical bike, lots of parts fit the 230.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #4
Trailhound OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 5
thanks for the replies fellas i was just curious because my cylinder has a few scores in it and instead of paying over $1000 for a new cylinder i thought i could bore it to a 250 but i guess ill just get it re chromed

cheers trail hound
Trailhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie
 
BygDaddee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane Northside, OZ
Oddometer: 1,359
Check this thread out too
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhound View Post
G'day fellas I'm new here so sorry If this is in the wrong spot but I was wondering if you guys could answer a question for me We got given a Yamaha DT230 L for free and has everything on it that we need to rebuild it but the Cylinder is scratched so I was wondering if I could get a stock YZ 250 big bore kit in it

Cheers Trailhound
__________________
Relax and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
2013 WR450F(The best bike KTM never built) and BMW G650GS Sertao (The refined mans DR)
Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhound View Post
thanks for the replies fellas i was just curious because my cylinder has a few scores in it and instead of paying over $1000 for a new cylinder i thought i could bore it to a 250 but i guess ill just get it re chromed

cheers trail hound
Why not see if a big bore cylinder for a Blaster will fit? If it does then I would guess cost would be a lot less than re-plating.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,121
plate it for $150-$200 and be done with it. if you're gonna play with porting - now is the time. basically impossible to port after nikasil is on..
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
plate it for $150-$200 and be done with it. if you're gonna play with porting - now is the time. basically impossible to port after nikasil is on..

I get the feeling the OP is interested in a cost effective way of getting his bike running properly again, and probably not interested in "porting" which is something that costs a fair amount of money, and in almost every case makes the modified bike much more difficult to ride.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer
 
stainlesscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: morgantown, wv
Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
I get the feeling the OP is interested in a cost effective way of getting his bike running properly again, and probably not interested in "porting" which is something that costs a fair amount of money, and in almost every case makes the modified bike much more difficult to ride.
dang, i forgot. professor twin-shocker is in the house

replating is the most cost effective way. cheaper than any other method. he did mention big bore, so i suggested now was the time to port since a big bore is not going to happen - i assumed he wanted more power.. proper porting does not make a bike more difficult to ride. you can port for performance in any area. a big bore kit would cost more than porting/replate.
__________________
current bikes
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
What kind of oil should he use?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
dang, i forgot. professor twin-shocker is in the house

replating is the most cost effective way. cheaper than any other method. he did mention big bore, so i suggested now was the time to port since a big bore is not going to happen - i assumed he wanted more power.. proper porting does not make a bike more difficult to ride. you can port for performance in any area. a big bore kit would cost more than porting/replate.

In almost every case "porting" will make bikes more difficult to ride, as in most all cases this relates purely to extending post open times, which will make peak power occur at much higher RPM, and in many cases will be less than the stock porting would provide.

An inexpensive way of dealing with a worn cylinder, would be a cylinder kit intended for a Yamaha Blaster, but obviously the OP would need to find out whether this would fit his bike properly.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
dpforth
no inline fours
 
dpforth's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Fantasy, I mean Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 288
I believe the Blaster was only aircooled.
__________________
This species has amused itself to death
dpforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpforth View Post
I believe the Blaster was only aircooled.
Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................my mistake! No problem at all admitting I am completely wrong.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhound View Post
G'day fellas I'm new here so sorry If this is in the wrong spot but I was wondering if you guys could answer a question for me We got given a Yamaha DT230 L for free and has everything on it that we need to rebuild it but the Cylinder is scratched so I was wondering if I could get a stock YZ 250 big bore kit in it

Cheers Trailhound
How deep are the scratches? Do you see them or can you feel them?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
In almost every case "porting" will make bikes more difficult to ride, as in most all cases this relates purely to extending post open times, which will make peak power occur at much higher RPM, and in many cases will be less than the stock porting would provide.

An inexpensive way of dealing with a worn cylinder, would be a cylinder kit intended for a Yamaha Blaster, but obviously the OP would need to find out whether this would fit his bike properly.
Porting does not make a bike harder to ride. The power peak may be at higher RPMs , but this is determined by the pipe as well. MUCH higher RPMs , no. More power , yes.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014