Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
When you purchase auto insurance there are several aspects to it.

Comprehensive coverage pays for loss or damage to your vehicle caused by fire, theft, vandalism, hail, windstorm, riot, falling objects, flood, collision with an animal, and other events as stated in your policy contract.

Each comprehensive claim is subject to a deductible (the amount you will pay out of pocket). You should choose a deductible that meets your financial needs; the higher the deductible, the lower the premium charged for this coverage.

Comprehensive is an optional coverage. You may want to consider whether the present value of your vehicle justifies the cost of this coverage. If you finance or lease your vehicle, your lease or financing agreement may require you to have this coverage. You should refer to your lease or financing agreement for details.
-------------------------
Collision coverage pays for accidental damage to your insured vehicle caused by collision with another vehicle or stationary object. Collision does not pay for incidents covered under Comprehensive (such as theft, fire, or collision with an animal). Collision pays for reasonable repair, towing, and storage costs. If repairing your vehicle is not reasonable, this coverage pays you the actual cash value of the vehicle.

Each collision claim is subject to a deductible (the amount you will pay out of pocket). You should choose a deductible that meets your financial needs; the higher the deductible, the lower the premium charged for this coverage.

Collision is an optional coverage. You may want to consider whether the present value of your vehicle justifies the cost of this coverage. If you finance or lease your vehicle, your lease or financing agreement may require you to have this coverage. Refer to your lease or financing agreement for details.
--------------======
Bodily Injury (BI) Liability coverage pays damages for other people's injuries or death resulting from an at-fault accident involving an insured vehicle or driver. This may include medical treatment, lost wages and compensation for pain and suffering. In the event of a serious accident, these costs can become substantial. If you do not carry a sufficient limit of insurance, your personal assets and earnings could be at risk. You should choose a coverage limit that will adequately protect your assets. BI coverage also includes payment for certain legal fees, bail bonds, and court costs that you might incur.

BI provides two limits of coverage. The first figure is the maximum amount paid for injury or death to any one person. The second figure is the maximum paid (regardless of the number of people involved) for injury or death stemming from a single occurrence.
--------------
Property Damage (PD) Liability Coverage pays for damage to other people's property (such as vehicles, shrubs, signs, or buildings) resulting from an at-fault accident involving an insured vehicle or driver. In the event of a serious or multiple vehicle accident, property damage costs can become substantial. If you do not carry sufficient coverage, your personal assets and earnings could be at risk. You should choose a coverage limit that will adequately protect your assets.
-----------
Medical Payments coverage pays medical, dental, hospital and funeral expenses for you, household relatives and guest passengers injured in your insured vehicle. This coverage extends to household relatives injured in other vehicles or if struck as pedestrians.

The limit of liability for medical payments stated in the declarations as applying to "each person" is the limit paid for all costs incurred by or on behalf of each person who sustains bodily injury in one accident. This applies regardless of the number of persons insured or the number of vehicles to which this policy applies.

-------------
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury (UMBI) pays you, your household relatives, and passengers in your insured motor vehicle for damages resulting from bodily injury or death arising out of accidents caused by uninsured motorists and, in most states, by hit-and-run motorists.Your UMBI limits must equal your Bodily Injury liability limits unless you specifically request lower limits in writing. To choose an appropriate limit, you may want to consider your ability to meet your medical expenses and other financial obligations if you were injured in a vehicle accident.

UMBI provides two limits of coverage. The first is the maximum amount paid for injury or death of any one person. The second figure is the maximum paid (regardless of the number of people involved) for injury or death stemming from a single occurrence.
-------------
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage pays damages you are legally entitled to recover because of damage to your insured vehicle caused by uninsured or hit-and-run motorists. You must carry this coverage at the same limit as your Property Damage liability coverage unless specifically requested at a lower limit in writing. Uninsured Motorist Property Damage does not cover the first 200.00 of damage to your vehicle as the result of any one accident. In choosing a limit, you will want to consider the highest value of any of your vehicles listed on your policy.

In choosing an appropriate limit, you should consider your ability to meet your medical expenses and other financial obligations if you were injured in a vehicle accident.
--------------
Underinsured Motorist (UIM) Coverage pays you, your household relatives, and passengers in your insured motor vehicle for damages resulting from bodily injury or death arising out of accidents caused by motorists whose liability limits are not sufficient to cover your claim.

Underinsured Motorist Property Damage
pays damages to your insured vehicle caused by motorists who have lower limits of liability coverage than those damages suffered by you. In choosing a limit, you will want to consider the highest value of any of your vehicles listed on your policy.
--------------
In other words, you need to have Medical Payments coverage to cover yourself and passengers if you are involved in a single vehicle accident or any accident in which you are at fault otherwise you are SOL. Unless you have separate medical insurance.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."

Wlfman screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 07:40 PM
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye-az View Post
bar ditch.....not sure what the acronym means. but it's basically the drainage ditch on the side of the road. don't know if that verbiage is regional or not.
they usually make good berms if needed.
Quote:
'The slang term bar ditch supposedly comes from barrow ditch when hand labor and wheelbarrows were used to haul dirt dug from a ditch and dumped into the roadbed to raise it above the surrounding terrain. Another version states dirt borrowed from a ditch and placed on the roadbed gave birth to the term bar ditch.'
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...sages/994.html
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
I have maximum insurance on my 4 motorcycles and its cheap ($400.00)
Now excuse me, but WTF does "maximum insurance" mean? It that like "full coverage", which is pretty meaningless also? Does "maximum insurance" mean you have PIP, UIM, UMPD, UMBI, etc. etc., what what what? Oh yeah, and to what policy limits, $300,000 or $500,000 or what?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Now excuse me, but WTF does "maximum insurance" mean? It that like "full coverage", which is pretty meaningless also? Does "maximum insurance" mean you have PIP, UIM, UMPD, UMBI, etc. etc., what what what? Oh yeah, and to what policy limits, $300,000 or $500,000 or what?
I agree with Viverrid on this one. Lemme tell you right now, if you have the true "maximum" coverage, you're looking at a HUGE increase in premiums. When I last looked at insurance, the "full" package was three times the amount of just comprehensive and liability. This stuff isn't cheap!! Even with multi-bike discounts, there's no way you'll get $400/yr or bi-annually; maybe per MONTH, but not yearly.

You might want to double check what your coverage actually details, and Wlfman's post is really good as a checklist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #20
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,450
Looks like we have some insurance folks in the house. Nice.

Full coverage is a mis-nomer. There is no such thing, or it's so ambiguous to be meaningless. What is "full" to your insurance carrier may mean something completely different to another carrier. Most people consider it comp (usually a mandatory coverage) and collision (an elected coverage). However, it can mean from minimum coverage (to include collision), to maximum limits with an umbrella. It's meaningless in the insurance industry.

We as consumers are responsible for what we buy and don't buy. To think an insurance company owes you something because you didn't purchase that coverage is asinine, maybe even asiten.

PIP or Medpay is first-party coverage for injuries. Every state is different so certain coverages are mandatory and others are not, but it's our responsibility as consumers to know what we pay for, or don't.

Most people are so concerned with premiums/rates that they don't even know what they buy, as long as it's cheaper than the last place. Talk to your agent (if you have one) and read the policy (declarations page). Also know that motorcycle coverages are not necessarily the same as auto. For example in my state PIP is mandatory on auto policies, Medpay is not on motorcycle policies. So, if you have auto coverage you have PIP, because you can't have auto without it. On a motorcycle policy you can purchase Medpay, but since it's not mandatory (and raises the premium) most people don't purchase it.

When your medical insurance carrier sends a letter to your auto/moto insurance carrier (if you don't carry PIP/Medpay) it's only to get a response that shows no coverage, a denial of coverage. It's because the insurance carriers need to determine which is primary (which carrier pays first, or at all). It's the normal procedure, to determine which carrier(s) should be receiving and paying bills and then if there is another carrier that steps up when that policy reaches its max.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Several replies on this thread have suggested bringing the policy to the insurance agent for interpretation. Not wanting to sound paranoid but the agent may not have your best interests at heart. They are paid by the insurance company, not by you. It might be better to bring your policy to a lawyer knowledgeable in insurance claims.
Some time ago I had an insurance agent deny a claim only to find out later it should have been covered. When confronted the agent denied ever having spoken to me. As I had not filled out a claim form there was no paper trail. Fill out the form and request all correspondence in writing. Including any supposed denial of coverage or claim. As you may have only a certain amount of time to file a claim, the agent in my case used that to further deny my claim. They said that being as I hadn't filed the claim within the time limit they would not accept the claim.
I no longer have insurance with that company.
Regards....justjeff
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #22
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 695
Insurance Companies...Making Lawyers Look Good

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
Shake_N_Bake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
First off, never talk to an insurance agent about a claim. They are sales people. That is it.

That is why there are claims adjusters. Most claim problems would never exist if agents would stick to the part of the process that they actually are trained for.

Yes I am an adjuster, does it show.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
acesandeights
Asperger

You sound like a Progressive insurance adjuster?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I second the recommendation to get a copy of your policy and read it. They are pretty easy to understand/read and tend to be very carefully worded.

A good lawyer can be really helpful. It's extremely hard to find a good lawyer, especially if you are operating outside the realm of high end corporate stuff.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #26
Shake_N_Bake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
You sound like a Progressive insurance adjuster?
Why would you make me dislike you so quickly?

Also you need more than just a copy of the policy. You need a copy of the declaration page as well. That shows what you actually paid for.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
acesandeights
Asperger

I saw where you're from and thought Progressive had a large call center there, but was just trying to be funny. I worked for a few insurance carriers, for a number of years, back in the day.