ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
borborygmus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
paint on 05 950?

I am wanting to remove the bubbly decals and lightly sand the base coat underneath in order to apply clear coat. My question is: what kind of paint did KTM use. Or can I apply any kind of automotive clear coat such as enamel, urethane, or HS clear ? It is my understanding KTM clear coated over the decal leaving the base coat under the decal.
borborygmus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
I don't know what kind of paint they used. My guess is that it is solvent-based enamel. There is a base "primer" coat that is a similar color to the actual color layer. Then the color layer is clear coated. There is clear coat over the decals . . . at least on the older bikes. I'm not sure about newer bikes that have the dull finish from the factory.

Some of the information here may be of some help to you: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631482
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
borborygmus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the reply, but I am interested in more orange and less black with out repainting the entire tank as they are in excellent shape. I just want to clear the tank where the stickers were and then compound the two clear coats together to minimize the abutment of the two clear coats.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,081
KTM use Standox paint. (One of the most expensive in the industry). It's quality stuff. Depending on year if will be water or oil based. I "assume" 950 would be oil based. (urethane 2part clear). I priced it up recently, and it was ~$250 for the smallest quantity clear. Go to your local DuPont dealer, they will have all information you need on their computer. Just tell them euro color / CAR manufacturer = KTM. Pick model / year of bike.

Your probably best off going to a decent autobody shop with the tank, and giving them the info. They just charge you for clear / harder / labor, which will probably be cheaper than the minimum quantity you can buy.

BTW, the type of clear used, you won't find anything even close in a rattle can. It will be so much softer than you'll never buff the two together.
I'm no expert so take the above with a "pinch of salt", but I've just spent a LOT of time researching auto paint and KTM paint in particular.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
borborygmus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, I thought something like this! Thank you so much. I already arranged an auto paint shop I know of to shoot the tank next week. They paint daily so they will just use some left over and charge me $50.
It already looks better with the stickers removed(cut around and left the KTM part) and the orange base coat exposed.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
Fwiw, I'm am thinking the orange bikes have 3 coats. Base orange, then clear with green metal flakes, then they apply stickers and clear over it all again.

Edit: here ya go, an antique thread with everything you need.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210447
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
borborygmus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You are probably right. I painted a bass boat for a guy once and I did have to mix the flake in with the first coat of clear. I am off to the ppg store, I will post a picture of the fiasco soon. Oh well, it is just a dirt bike I hope to drag thru the bushes and drop it down a hill anyway. Just want to get some clear coat on it because the base coat will oxidize in minutes in the Arizona sun.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Gustafson78
n00b

Oddometer: 4
i also too ,
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631482

Gustafson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Fwiw, I'm am thinking the orange bikes have 3 coats. Base orange, then clear with green metal flakes, then they apply stickers and clear over it all again.

Edit: here ya go, an antique thread with everything you need.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210447
Its a gold pearl
Old 07-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
borborygmus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is not easy to replicate the flake-pearl less you want to re shoot the entire bike. so I just shot it with clear urethane. Judge for yourself, $50.00 total in the whole project. Just thought it would be nice to share in case you have the leprosy thing going on. 1.bubbles,2.removed,3.clear

can't seem to transfer from photobucket, no url.

borborygmus screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 07:07 AM