Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
john_sand_ID OP
sknom

Oddometer: 5
My 2001 F650GS died! Fuel filter or fuel pump?

I went for a ride yesterday, a short 5 mile run on the highway then a climb up into the mountains on gravel. As I'm climbing up, my bike loses power briefly. I thought my hand may have slipped on the throttle. Then it happened again, and I turned around and started coasting back down at an idle. When I hit some flats, I put it back in gear "surged" along, power for a while, then dead, then restart.... I thought I might be out of fuel, but only had 120 miles on the tank and no low fuel warning light. I made it back to the highway, and it died completely. No more starting up. Called a neighbor, and he brought gas. No help. Trailer-ed it back to the house.
Has my fuel filter/pressure valve unit failed? Fuel pump? Had similar incident once, from loose battery, but battery connections are fine, it cranks over no problem.
29540 miles
john_sand_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,844
Well, for one thing this is the "Twin" section and you're single.

Sounds like water in the tank to me. Seen it before. One way to check is to remove the airbox and watch what comes out of the injector. Your fuel filter is also the pressure regulator so it's possible it's crapped out but thats not too common.

I'd check for water then the plug while you're there.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
john_sand_ID OP
sknom

I asked for help in Thumpers, too. Saw a lot of F650 posts on here, so I thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks for your suggestion. I did as you suggested, but I couldn't see anything coming out of what I assume is the fuel port. It looks and acts like there is no fuel getting to it.

John
Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,064
I don't know much about them BUT

look for a problem with the wires to the fuel pump, I have a friend that had that issue, I vaguely remember her saying it is a known problem.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
john_sand_ID OP
sknom

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
I don't know much about them BUT

look for a problem with the wires to the fuel pump, I have a friend that had that issue, I vaguely remember her saying it is a known problem.
I checked the wires and they look OK. They disappear into a harness not far from the pump. I'm thinking I may be trailering it to the nearest BMW dealership soon!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
have you had a chance to look at the filter yet?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
john_sand_ID OP
sknom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
have you had a chance to look at the filter yet?
I haven't removed the filter. I did take the air filter box off and look into the "carb" while cranking it over. There didn't seem to be any fuel getting there. Also checked the wires leading to the fuel pump and they look fine. My understanding is that the fuel system is under pressure, so I'm hesitant to remove hoses without safety gear. Also not sure if there's any thing I could do to the filter to make it work again if indeed it is the problem.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
To check if your fuel pump is dead. Place your ear near the pump, switch on the igniton. You should be able to hear the solenoid energise. Sounds like a valve opening or something. No sound pump is dead. If you take out the pump assembly there is a stainer at the bottom. It may be choke. I remember reading in f650.com saying that the wire that power the pump is very tight. It may disconnect itself.
Hope this info will help you out. And post your findings.
Ride safe..
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
john_sand_ID OP
sknom

Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
To check if your fuel pump is dead. Place your ear near the pump, switch on the igniton. You should be able to hear the solenoid energise. Sounds like a valve opening or something. No sound pump is dead. If you take out the pump assembly there is a stainer at the bottom. It may be choke. I remember reading in f650.com saying that the wire that power the pump is very tight. It may disconnect itself.
Hope this info will help you out. And post your findings.
Ride safe..
I tried listening for the fuel pump solenoid click. No sound from down there.
I think I'll be trailering her to the BMW dealership in Spokane for a fix-up and tune-up. I need to be CONFIDENT that I'm going to make it back from where I go! I really lucked out being able to coast most of the way back to the highway, and then having the Duty-Free liquor store right there for phone calls. No cell service here in this part of the north woods! If I'd of made it to where I was contemplating going, I'd of had one hell of a long walk back! I think I'll buy a SPOT!
Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_sand_ID View Post
I tried listening for the fuel pump solenoid click. No sound from down there.
I think I'll be trailering her to the BMW dealership in Spokane for a fix-up and tune-up. I need to be CONFIDENT that I'm going to make it back from where I go! I really lucked out being able to coast most of the way back to the highway, and then having the Duty-Free liquor store right there for phone calls. No cell service here in this part of the north woods! If I'd of made it to where I was contemplating going, I'd of had one hell of a long walk back! I think I'll buy a SPOT!
That is good you were close to the store with a land phone! I
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
resslerm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
What was the outcome of this? I'm experiencing similar symptoms with my 03 Dakar right now. I can force it to start eventually, though it is continually falling on its face and I'm suspecting the filter, hopefully not the pump.
resslerm is offline   Reply With Quote