ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #751
Dorsland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I've never been to Africa,its funny to see a camp just like any other in the world,I expected to see Lions,and tigers,and elephants,I love ADV for this reason a guy like me who will probably never go to most of these places gets a front row seat and the ability to ask the poster a question and often get a response.
There are plenty places you can get up really close to our game, this trip wasn't one of those though. Sadly many of these game reserves won't allow motorcycles admission due to safety considerations (safety for the person and game). I could post a few pix of trips I've done to Namibia and Botswana in my LandCruiser where I've had jackal drinking my washwater right outside my tent or hippo playing in the Savuti river only 50m from my tent. Can be a bit intimidating if you've only got some tent fabric between you and the wildlife. Rooftop tents are very popular for that reason.

If you ever get down to this part of the world, look me up or PM me. You'd always be welcome
Dorsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #752
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsland View Post
There are plenty places you can get up really close to our game, this trip wasn't one of those though. Sadly many of these game reserves won't allow motorcycles admission due to safety considerations (safety for the person and game). I could post a few pix of trips I've done to Namibia and Botswana in my LandCruiser where I've had jackal drinking my washwater right outside my tent or hippo playing in the Savuti river only 50m from my tent. Can be a bit intimidating if you've only got some tent fabric between you and the wildlife. Rooftop tents are very popular for that reason.

If you ever get down to this part of the world, look me up or PM me. You'd always be welcome
Thanks for the offer,sometimes I hardly get to enjoy my own area due to work,as I stated before its so cool to see stuff people like yourself post,it really alows all of us to share with the world our world,and to be able to interact with someone far away is so cool,I have been a Ham Radio operator for many years and as a child was able to talk with people in far away places,the net is the same way and with more people to visit with.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #753
Whosoever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsland View Post

What about snakes? I hate snakes! I have made four trips to South and Western Africa. One such trip took me thru Hwange animal preserve and while there although seeing many elephants and other animals....we had to run over a "Gabon Viper" snake! I hate them. I don't even like to get out of car while in the bush. To cap it all off I spent a couple of nights in a motor hotel outside of Bulawayo and while there the gardener preceded to tell me about plants in his garden to keep snakes out of it! Cobras! Did I say I hate snakes? How do you deal with them while camping....your country is full of the most dangerous kinds..... I hate snakes.
Whosoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #754
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosoever View Post
What about snakes? I hate snakes! I have made four trips to South and Western Africa. One such trip took me thru Hwange animal preserve and while there although seeing many elephants and other animals....we had to run over a "Gabon Viper" snake! I hate them. I don't even like to get out of car while in the bush. To cap it all off I spent a couple of nights in a motor hotel outside of Bulawayo and while there the gardener preceded to tell me about plants in his garden to keep snakes out of it! Cobras! Did I say I hate snakes? How do you deal with them while camping....your country is full of the most dangerous kinds..... I hate snakes.
The Land of Oz has some fascinating ones too.
And Ireland before Patrick, so they say.

They're not so bad, once you get to know them.
I've just been assaulted by a horde of mosquitoes, now that's nasty.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #755
macca66
n00b

Oddometer: 3

macca66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #756
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,277
Comlumbine Pass, CO

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #757
Dorsland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Ha, snakes, now we are talking. We have 3 snakes that occur very frequently on the farm: rinkhals or ring-necked spitting cobra (https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...v7Uss1MdXFXZOr), Geelslang (Afrikaans), roughly translated this is a yellow snake but the correct name is a Mozambique spitting cobra (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...2f3ti180bT7Sio) and the Puff Adder (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ZxyzKLgHCQ4zfv). All cobra species are very poisonous and very aggressive. The puff adder accounts for almost all snake bites as it is a very lazy snake and often gets stepped on, when it then obviously strikes. Google some pix of the bite damage - very painful and very nasty.

The pix below are of 2 rinkhals that I shot on 2 separate occasions: 1 in the kitchen, hiding out in the cupboard (the one I am holding up). Note the various shots in the wall and floor that were caused by the distortion of trying to use the scope at close range He tried to get behind the coal stove once I had flushed him out of the cupboard. The other one on the wooden floor was a young one I found in the dining room.

I honestly don't enjoy killing them as they serve a very useful function in controlling rodents. Unless they are in the house or garden, I normally try to get them back into the bush where they can do their thing.

When camping out I make a rule not to walk barefoot at night, always keep my tent zipped shut, only role out my sleeping bag right before I get into it and treat all wild animals with the respect they deserve.

So, not really anything to do with XRs or riding, but hopefully interesting. Thanks for your interest guys

Dorsland screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 09:48 PM
Dorsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #758
evanqueen
Learning Contentment

Oddometer: 40
not me brother

You are braver than I. I couldn't live in that type environment with snakes coming in the house!!! Good info in your post.
evanqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #759
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,809
Interesting,thanks for sharing,now where are your steel boots?All I see is your toes in the grass,and you keep saying Cobra,makes my Rattle Snakes seem tame.Again thanks always
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #760
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Interesting,thanks for sharing,now where are your steel boots?All I see is your toes in the grass,and you keep saying Cobra,makes my Rattle Snakes seem tame.Again thanks always
His skeleton is covered in adamantium and his regenerative powers are above and beyond.

No, really. Cool post Dorsland, thanks.
Living or travelling in an area where one is not necessarily the top predator gets one's feet back to earth.
It is also disorienting crossing over between regions (dangerous vs harmless).
Old 07-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #761
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Me (blue Honda) and my friend (yellow Cagiva) camping by the abandoned hut, on mountain Divčibare :

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
lord_oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #762
Rockin Rollin
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Talking

Monument Valley.
Can you spot my motorcycle by my tent.

Zoomed in a little.

Looking the other way. The "Mittens"

When I opened the tent flap in the morning. Spectacular!

Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 09:51 PM
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #763
Ouroboros
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Camping with friends in Marquez Texas.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #764
racercorky
DerangedDualSporters

Oddometer: 81
Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #765
NPRider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Fantastic Campsite

Rockin Rollin, that has to be one of the best campsites that I have ever seen. I did not know that you could camp in Monument Valley. Thanks for the pictures.
NPRider is offline   Reply With Quote