Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #751
hotrodjoe
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I started at age 6 (minibike), but I got my Uncle Ralph into biking when he was 68 years old. I sold him my old Kaw KZ400 2 stroker. He had never ridden anything but a bicycle. When we got him on his bike, he was a bit nervous at first. I saw him about a month later and that guy laid rubber down like a bat out of hell. I couldn't believe it. He was a total maniac and actually had great control. Funny thing is that he later told me had found out he had cancer and not sure what he figured, but I think he didn't mind going out in a blaze of glory instead of the way he really went out. Anyway, it really made sense to me later since I couldn't see how anyone over 50 could get that crazy.
hotrodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #752
Cruisin'Carolina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodjoe View Post
I started at age 6 (minibike), but I got my Uncle Ralph into biking when he was 68 years old. I sold him my old Kaw KZ400 2 stroker. He had never ridden anything but a bicycle. When we got him on his bike, he was a bit nervous at first. I saw him about a month later and that guy laid rubber down like a bat out of hell. I couldn't believe it. He was a total maniac and actually had great control. Funny thing is that he later told me had found out he had cancer and not sure what he figured, but I think he didn't mind going out in a blaze of glory instead of the way he really went out. Anyway, it really made sense to me later since I couldn't see how anyone over 50 could get that crazy.

That is actually pretty awesome. "Live life like you are dying"
Cruisin'Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #753
paddlesurf.net
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I started riding after 30. I'm 44 now and I started riding when I was 41. I took a Honda Dirtbike course since I knew nothing about motos at all. My girlfriend and daughter came along too- her daughter had never even driven a car before and had zero clutch experience. The course was great- we all had a blast and learned a lot. I knew bikes would be in the garage in short order.

Fast forward to present day: Girlfriend has a new dirtbike on the way (Honda CR250, she started on a XT225) to match her '13 Ninja 300, daughter is still on her TW200 and I've got three bikes now: DRZ400s, Triumph Bonneville 2006 cafe racer (my "cool" bike- bought off a guy in Las Vegas who spent way too much money making it look very sweet) and '13 DL650 V-strom (my go far bike). We all took the MSF course and we all have our M1 licenses.

We ride carefully and I always think about the statistic that says I'm more likely to wreck in the first few years of riding so I ride very conservatively. I've done a bunch of moto trips both dirt (southern Baja) and road (best was a 4 day, 1500 mile trip from SD to Central Cal and through all kinds of twisty backroads up there with my brother who rides too)- I'm messed up on the traveling part of it. I conquered my fear of riding through L.A. on the 405 and have made that freeway my bitch. I respect her, but I'm not afraid to ramble through the LA monster when I have to.

I'm not bummed that I didn't start earlier- things happen when they are supposed to, but I do take the advice, "Ride while you can" to heart; when I get a chance to get out on the open road- I do.
paddlesurf.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #754
Rockpharmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Took my MSF course at age 34 wanting to get a bike for more fuel efficient commuting. And then I realized how ridiculously fun this can be.
Rockpharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #755
RideAlongAtlas1
IS GOOD ! ! !

Oddometer: 146
I started after 30 lol. I got my mc licence about 5 months ago. And bought my bike recently. I started a motovlog too. Amateur I am. Here's how much I've spent on my first bike so far.

This is how much currency I have spent on my DR650. I bought it new a few months ago and have since had all this stuff fitted to deck it out for endurance travel. The only thing I ain't got is luggage and panniers yet.

The first service I had was expensive, the suzuki dealership I went to charged me a lot and I won't be going back there again because of that. But, anyway, I got a good deal on my clothing and the main thing for me is that I like my bike and my clothing fits me really well.

Hope this can help someone who's considering buying a new 650 for adventure riding, like me.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #756
SafetyLarry
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I started at age 54

I completed the MSF new rider course them purchased an Aprilia scooter when I was 53. Now at 64 I have a SYM 300 Citycom 300 and ride all the time as both a commuter in Chicago and fun trips. My only regret is that I waited so long!
SafetyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #757
NestorV
n00b

Oddometer: 1
That is cool. I thought I was the only one starting riding a motorcycle after the age of 30. I got my license at 32 and my first motorcycle is an Aprilia Pegaso i.e. Still learning after a year with it
NestorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #758
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
age 45

48, now
Old 10-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #759
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 134
1. I was thinking I would save money over my fuel guzzling truck for commuting and running errands. It has done that very well. My adopted daughter's biological father was killed on a motorcycle so I waited until she graduated high school to get it. The difference is, he was an irresponsible 400 pound drunk who was bar hopping and racing his Harley while drunk on an unlit rural road, missed the turn and ran down a ditch hitting his helmetless head on a large boulder. My daughter was adamantly against me getting one. My wife was only a little more understanding, and my mother will never approve of it.

2. I bought a 2012 Suzuki DR650 Dual Sport. I was 36 when I bought it and am about to turn 38. It doubles as my psychological therapist. I get to spend a lot of time in the woods forgetting the things that stress me out.

3. I regret not doing this a long time ago. I wish I never listened to every one who ingrained in my head that bikes are too dangerous. Life is too dangerous. I am currently laid up for the next month or two with a broken ankle and torn tendons. That did not happen from riding. I stepped in a freaking hole wrong while running.

4. This is my first street bike and I expect it to be my only bike for a long time. I bought it about a year and a half ago and have about 14,000 miles on it. The caveat is that I owned a little Kawasaki mini bike and a Honda SL70 trail bike as a kid and early teenager. I have ridden friends' dirt bikes on occasion over the years, but the DR650 is my first real bike. I am sure one day I will add an adventure class bike for the longer trips like a Truimph Tiger or Yamaha Super Tenere. I can't imagine giving up the DR650 though.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #760
verdelac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
I started at 50. I'm 57 now. First bike was a Sportster. I wish I still had it. A couple of Harley's later just a G650GS. I still have a couple Harley's but this thing is a blast!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #761
quux
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I started at age 32. I was thinking about mpg and the ability to do all the maintenance myself; as well as shaking up my life a bit. I took the msf class and got my licence at the end of summer last year, in no rush to find a bike. Around halloween there was a great deal on the bike I wanted, a kawasaki 650r. Now I range further and more frequently than I did before.
quux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #762
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
I started at 36 after going back to school for teacher certification. My mothers rant was the same old "not while you live in my house."

Unfortunately I owned half the house whil I lived there...

Bike was a 79 Honda CX 500 C with a somewhat dodgy carb. Never did get over 38 mpg with it. Realized within 3 weeks It was too small for long term happiness. Bought it because for the same money spent on a car, the car would need a whole lot more cash infusion to make it safe to drive. Eventually sold the buzzy thing for $750, same as I gave for it.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #763
Quadrajet
Lofter of Jive

Oddometer: 6
TL;DR - I bought my first street bike (Buell XB12S) on my 45th birthday.

In 2004, at age 36 I bought my first motorcycle, an '02 Beta Rev-3 trials bike.
I had learned a lot of bicycle handling skills through BMX and freestyle and figured that the next logical step would be to give trials riding a try. It was a lot of fun and it taught me the valuable skills of clutch, brake and throttle control. Due to losing my practice grounds and some medical bills I had to sell the Beta in '07.

In 2012 (age 43), I took the MSF and aced it on their TU250X, which is a great bike IMO.

This September, on my 45th birthday, I bought my first rideable street bike...A Buell XB12S. When I first told my wife about my desire to ride, she reminisced about her Dad giving her rides on his old Voyager and was glad to hear I wanted a bike. That being known, I started looking for an ADV/2-Up type bike and had narrowed it down to an old V-Strom or a Ulysses, but the Strom didn't have the personality I was looking for and the Ulysses was out of my price range. I decided to just go for a "single rider" type bike to get a few thousand miles under my belt before looking for a 2nd bike to go 2-Up on (see how I worked buying 2 bikes instead of just one in there?).

I should be hitting that first 1K mile mark this week.

1. "WTF were you thinking?"
I was thinking that I've liked riding my bicycle to work, but all that pedaling was just too much effort lol. I love going out for random drives on country back roads and that having a motorcycle would only enhance that enjoyment. I really like driving around the country and hope to, someday take an epic trip on a bike someday.

My Mom was concerned of course, but realizes that I'm a grown man. However, I could tell it was hard for her to not say anything disparaging. My Dad, who died in 2008 of a heart attack would have probably suffered a heart attack anyway in 2013 when he saw my bike lol.

2. What was your first bike?
As I mentioned before, my first bike was an '02 Beta Rev-3 trials bike. After practicing on the local trials grounds (an hour away from my house) for a few months, I skipped over the novice class and entered intermediate. I never won any events that I entered, but I had a HUGE amount of fun. In 2007, the trials club lost its practice grounds and the new grounds were about 2 hours away from my house, so I had nowhere to ride. My wife needed a kidney transplant and a few other things sprang up, so I sold my Beta, but I did love riding it.

3. How do you feel about starting so late?
I'm not nearly as much of a hooligan as I would have been 20 years ago, so I have that going for me. Having a wife and daughter really changes things as well. I like to think that being older helps me (usually) make better decisions when I see an empty stretch of highway ahead of me.

4. What bikes have you progressed to / thru?
'02 Beta Rev-3
'79 KZ400 B2 (non-running winter project bike)
'80 SR250 (running winter project bike)
'04 Buell XB12S

Quadrajet screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 04:45 AM
Quadrajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #764
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
I like that you started on a trials bike. I can't think of a better way to get started and learn valuable fundamentals before hitting the road.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #765
Freshorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
First bike when I was 31. 1984 FJ1100. This was 1985, I was married with two kids. I was thinking it was now or never.
I'm glad I started when I did, much earlier and I'm not sure I would have survived it.
Traded that in on a personal watercraft that my boys could play with. Didn't want them on bikes. Then went for about 12 years without a bike except for a utility quad.

2006 I bought Harley cause it was slow and I thought that would be good for me. Ended up spending 5k to make it faster.

2011 bought a ninja 1000 because it seemed like a comfortable sport bike. It was ok for 4 to 5 hours max for me then I wanted to get off. Just not comfortable enough.

2012 traded the ninja on a new Ducati multistrada 1200. This is THE bike!
Handling is unreal, speed, comfort. Just amazing. Longest time in saddle so far is 11 hours, I felt great. 59 now.
Freshorse is offline   Reply With Quote