Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #9826
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
I expect to still have plenty of power left over for heated gear. More than I had with my '05.
You will this noise about 580 is just that noise ! I can remember my first car having 30 amp Generator, and those were the days when a valve radio was fitted ! Here we have a 48 amp Alternator @ 12 Volts , or 42 amp @ 14 volts . Have a look at some car specs and you'll find this alternator is as powerful.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #9827
Cara Pálida
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Mensch!
Are they doing SUVs now????

Abr.,
CP!

Cara Pálida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #9828
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
It looks like BMW is thinking if they make the front of the new GSA "round" enough, it will roll right over and back upright again when you drop it. Would solve the problem of having to pick this beast up. Just spring load the windshield so it folds down out of the way...
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #9829
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
You will this noise about 580 is just that noise ! I can remember my first car having 30 amp Generator, and those were the days when a valve radio was fitted ! Here we have a 48 amp Alternator @ 12 Volts , or 42 amp @ 14 volts . Have a look at some car specs and you'll find this alternator is as powerful.
Hmm yes your spot on, BMW were just playing with themselves when they increased the alternator output on the newer oil heads. It was obviously all just for show and or to rob their customers of a bit more hard earned.
It's not a valid comparison in any way but my last couple of cars have all had 100A + alternators. I will bet your car didn't have 20A plus of computers and fuel system taking power. In fact I would say it was probably from the 70s at the latest so had very little of anything electrical.
Everyone will come to their own conclusion and to most it won't matter at all. It might to those who have their bike lit up like a Christmas tree and use heated clothing though.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #9830
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What model(s) tire are you looking at? What kind of mileage did you get out of the ones on your Ducati?

I am thinking that more manufacturers are going to offer tires in the range we need for our water heads. I would gladly get a set of regular Tourances (not Next or EXP) when my current Tourance Nexts wear out. I like the Nexts ok, but not sure how long they will last.

Tyres, front 120/70 R 19
Tyres, rear 170/60 R 17
I am a little concerned about how long the OEM Anakee3's are going to last.

As of now I've got 2k miles on them and with a longish trip starting next Monday (To Salem OR, a few day trips and then home). I'd expect to have close to what they can take. We'll see.

FWIW I'm concerned enough that I'm riding one of the other bikes to work all week.

On top of that the only people who appear to have these tires available are the dealers.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #9831
COFFEE MAN
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post

Whats the name of this magazine ?
COFFEE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #9832
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Umm, look at the top of the first picture.....
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #9833
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post

As of now I've got 2k miles on them and with a longish trip starting next Monday (To Salem OR, a few day trips and then home). I'd expect to have close to what they can take. We'll see.

FWIW I'm concerned enough that I'm riding one of the other bikes to work all week.

On top of that the only people who appear to have these tires available are the dealers.
Oh, that's what is on yours? Spoke wheels, right? Tourance Next on my cast wheels.

I recommend that you and anyone else who has a spare minute or agrees, go to the Metzeler "contact us" page and send them a note asking them to produce the standard Tourance in sizes for the R12GS-W wheels. I have liked those tires a whole lot and will be bummed if I must choose between a tire that wears out sooner or one hard as a rock like the 880.

Oh look, here's the link: http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/abou...ontact-us.html
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #9834
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
Revzilla.com shows available the Metzeler Tourance Next for $326 a set or Conti TA2 for $350 a set. Should be available at other mail order sites as well if you're into installing your own. I'm hoping to not need a set until next spring, maybe prices and selection will be a bit more reasonable by then.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #9835
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
Revzilla.com shows available the Metzeler Tourance Next for $326 a set or Conti TA2 for $350 a set. Should be available at other mail order sites as well if you're into installing your own. I'm hoping to not need a set until next spring, maybe prices and selection will be a bit more reasonable by then.
I like the longevity that I've gotten from Tourances but I've always felt more planted in all situations (Rain, dirt, cornering, etc.) on the Anakee's.

And these new 3's have performed flawlessly and predictably on the new bike in every situation. So I'd like to stick* with them if at all possible.

* No pun intended.

I've called some of my regular bike tire suppliers (Bike Bandit and Rocky Mountain) and they've stated that, since they can't get them yet, BMW dealers may have an exclusive on the rear (170/60-17) for the time being.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #9836
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
I have the Next on my bike, and compared to the Anakee 2's on my last three 12GS's, they are crap. The bike has done 4k now, and its nearly shot. The A2's would last between 7-8k. I'm torn between buying two Anakee 3's, but don't want to replace a hardly worn front tyre, but on the other hand don't want to give Metzeler any more money. Decisions decisions!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #9837
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
I will be buying Anakee 3s when it is time to replace the crappy Tourance Next's that came whit the bike. These are horrible on road snakes. If they even think that one is near they slip.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #9838
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
I'd love to be able to get tires that cheap in Australia ! We pay nearly double for a set of tires. I find 6,000 miles or 10,000 k's about the best I can get for my rear. I am unsure how the Next that is currently fitted will wear , but I have no issue with its road holding ability. Muddy road performance is not much better than normal road tires though.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #9839
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like most of the people replying on tires are in the same boat: we all like an older model tire more than the current offerings. Strange, has every manufacturer taken a step backwards lately in either longevity or grip?

FWIW, I'd like to be able to get a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2 for the GS, its a long lasting tire with very good stick, but I'm expecting that Michelin will (eventually) only make the 120/70R19 front in the PR3 instead. The PR3 sticks great, better than the PR2, but doesn't last nearly as long, especially its shape. Once they hit the wear bars they disappear so rapidly its like magic.

ObLuggage: At least I was able to jury-rig my old Givi plate to the rear end of the GS after removing seat and grab rails, should hold me over for commuting until the aluminum swmotech plate comes out.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #9840
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 175
Quote:

ObLuggage: At least I was able to jury-rig my old Givi plate to the rear end of the GS after removing seat and grab rails, should hold me over for commuting until the aluminum swmotech plate comes out.

You mean this?

Link: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...-r1200gs-lc-13