Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #586
macrocephalic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Pretty much all my problems have been related to the battery or electricals. I've had to replace the fan (which is not a BMW part so you can buy it cheap from somewhere else) and I've had to replace the battery and learn to put it on a battery tender every so often.

Even now it can sometimes crank over for 10 seconds when it's warm (really only happens after getting fuel) but as long as the battery is reasonably healthy then it will eventually start.

Otherwise it's cheap and fairly reliable (for a single). Mine now has about 55k km on it and the only issue is the second gear selector fork.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #587
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocephalic View Post
Pretty much all my problems have been related to the battery or electricals. I've had to replace the fan (which is not a BMW part so you can buy it cheap from somewhere else) and I've had to replace the battery and learn to put it on a battery tender every so often.

Even now it can sometimes crank over for 10 seconds when it's warm (really only happens after getting fuel) but as long as the battery is reasonably healthy then it will eventually start.

Otherwise it's cheap and fairly reliable (for a single). Mine now has about 55k km on it and the only issue is the second gear selector fork.
Where did you buy the fan, and what's the alternate (non-bmw) part number?
2002 Ural Patrol T
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #588
macrocephalic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCOliverNorth View Post
Where did you buy the fan, and what's the alternate (non-bmw) part number?
There's a thread of parts information here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605316
Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #589
aprilian
Can I change this?

Oddometer: 373
Ignition switch melted.

Solution option 1 - buy $100 part from 650x parts list
option 2 - buy $5 auto parts store toggle and hide it
option 3 - buy $35 used parts off ebay that were already starting to melt
option 4 - buy new scarabeo 50 ignition switch for $39 and canabalize only the parts I wanted.

Temporarily I went with #2

Option 4 was only possible because I studied pictures of many Zadi switches and came to the conclusion that they all had the same 8 contacts inside and it was just a question of how many contacts each one used. I bought the Scarabeo 50 (cheapest one from AF1 Racing) and dismantled it. Basically the swap is simple enough that if you have basic mechanical skills you will figure it out.

Unscrew (2 Phillips) releasing the wiring pod from the switch on both old and new. Pry off the black cap from the new and clip the two extra wires - you only need the orange and green. cut the molex connector to free the pins. install on the bottom of your existing key switch and swap connectors into the old white connector.

Camera phone memory was full - sorry no piccies
Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #590
macrocephalic
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilian View Post
Ignition switch melted.

Solution option 1 - buy $100 part from 650x parts list
option 2 - buy $5 auto parts store toggle and hide it
option 3 - buy $35 used parts off ebay that were already starting to melt
option 4 - buy new scarabeo 50 ignition switch for $39 and canabalize only the parts I wanted.

Temporarily I went with #2

Option 4 was only possible because I studied pictures of many Zadi switches and came to the conclusion that they all had the same 8 contacts inside and it was just a question of how many contacts each one used. I bought the Scarabeo 50 (cheapest one from AF1 Racing) and dismantled it. Basically the swap is simple enough that if you have basic mechanical skills you will figure it out.

Unscrew (2 Phillips) releasing the wiring pod from the switch on both old and new. Pry off the black cap from the new and clip the two extra wires - you only need the orange and green. cut the molex connector to free the pins. install on the bottom of your existing key switch and swap connectors into the old white connector.

Camera phone memory was full - sorry no piccies
My bike only had two wires in the ignition switch to start with. The previous owner might have snipped some - or it might have just been like that from the factory.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #591
Gyan50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hello guys what do you think of these accessories?
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...bQRuoMc9JA.jpg
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...NswBppOkkw.jpg
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...QGP0yi6geQ.jpg
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...CTYakdc6PQ.jpg

Gyan50 screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 09:39 AM
Gyan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #592
aprilian
Can I change this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrocephalic View Post
My bike only had two wires in the ignition switch to start with. The previous owner might have snipped some - or it might have just been like that from the factory.
Mine had two wires too. But it still has 8 contacts (6 unused) from factory. Your PO did not snip anything.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #593
transworld
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Model: xCountry
Year: 2009
ABS: Yes
Mileage at time of issue: 9,000
Date of occurrence: June 2013.
Modifications (if any): None.
Description of Failure(s): Stalls when hot and driving, loss of power in low RPMs, takes a long time to get speed
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:

Since the weather got hot here, I have problems with the bike especially when stuck in the NYC traffic. As the bike get hot, it stalls when I slow down, and I have no power in low RPMs and a two seconds lag when i accelerate.
Right now I am thinking maybe to change the battery which may not send enough juice once the fan is blowing hard? When I look at the dash voltmeter, it sometimes get down to 12.2
The exhaust is stock, would that be a possible problem as well?

Thanks!

transworld screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 09:05 AM
transworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #594
SchillerM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Have you monitored battery voltage when this happens? That should help tell you if its a battery issue.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by transworld View Post
Description of Failure(s): Stalls when hot and driving, loss of power in low RPMs, takes a long time to get speed
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:

Since the weather got hot here, I have problems with the bike especially when stuck in the NYC traffic. As the bike get hot, it stalls when I slow down, and I have no power in low RPMs and a two seconds lag when i accelerate.
Right now I am thinking maybe to change the battery which may not send enough juice once the fan is on?

Thanks!
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #595
transworld
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Have you monitored battery voltage when this happens? That should help tell you if its a battery issue.

Matt
Voltage can go as low as 12.2 when fan is blowing hard. Battery is Yuasa. When the bike is cold, and riding well, i am at 13.5 to 14.1 V

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #596
Vladtux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by transworld View Post
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:

Right now I am thinking maybe to change the battery which may not send enough juice once the fan is blowing hard? When I look at the dash voltmeter, it sometimes get down to 12.2

Thanks!
The test you can do is simply to see how much the fan is working; just turn on the bike and leave alone in that way and after 15min more or less the fan start to work... so you can check what happen...btw check the coolant liquid level too...

Good luck! ;)
Vladtux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #597
transworld
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladtux View Post
The test you can do is simply to see how much the fan is working; just turn on the bike and leave alone in that way and after 15min more or less the fan start to work... so you can check what happen...btw check the coolant liquid level too...

Good luck! ;)
Coolant level OK. Drops to 12.2 V once fan blows at full force...
Old 07-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #598
SchillerM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Ignition switch got me today. Was rolling along in carpool lane at ~75 and bike just shut down. Pulled over and played with key and finally got it to come back, took back off, got an occasional 0MPH and ABS light, died again, rolling on shoulder I got it going, off freeway again... That one took about 5 minutes to get it to go, including wiggling of cable underneath.
Made it to work and pulled ignition down, saw this

After some dremel work and running tghrough parts bins, I now have

Not the prettiest, but killed some time on a slow holiday at work... And it works! My backup is a jumper clip and wire cutters...

I am VERY glad this happened to me instead of my wife (this is going to be her bike soon)

Maybe I will get lucky and dealer will help cover the part...

Matt
SchillerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #599
aprilian
Can I change this?

You can fix it with an Aprilia scooter ignition set from AF1 - $32

Sent from my iPhone using iTypo.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #600
mcgarrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Same exact thing happened to me with X-Challenge on my Trans Lab Loop last week. One wire broke while we were waiting for ferry at Rivière du Loup. Mobile electrician came out and soldered it. Other one broke several days later. We hot wired it, got it to service station, but cylinder part had fallen off; wires were melted together. We rigged up a toggle switch to hold me until I can get home.