ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #1051
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
I was curious about the coast trip you guys are making and saw what BanXheo said about a route and checked it out on Basecamp. I have one made up from Covelo to Eureka mostly using the roads he mentioned but don't know if you guys can use it or how to send it if you do... Here is a screenshot of the route. No detail, had to fit it all on one screen but if you want it and can tell me how to attach it to an Email, I will.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #1052
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Looks like an interesting route, if you could, I'll send you my e-mail in a pm and ship it over to me.

Hey, I've got room at my place for someone to drop off a vehicle and ride out with me if their interested. As long as we make it to a place to camp by nightfall I'll be happy!

Matt
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #1053
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Ive ridden Bob's mostly dirt route from Wildwood to Fortuna enough times that its stuck in my head,I dont know the names of many of the roads but I know where to turn when I hit an intersection. The Lost Coast can be incorporated easily into the ride.

13 Dip road is a good one,we rode it early in the year once and the water was almost up to the bottom of the gas tank on my DR650,it never bobbled luckily.

1 guy did submerge his XR600 and it was a long while before it ran again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking of water.............
I sank my 200 in Kimshew creek last wed,easily 45 minutes of pumping of water/wringing of air filter/draining of carb/flipping the bike every which way to get water out of the pipe/engine.

The mostly hidden/unused trail leading to Kimshew was neat,near vertical switchbacks,thick brush and sheer drops to let the bike roll down.
It was cool! Our guide knew every odd nook and cranny up in the Ragdump area and I saw stuff I hadnt ridden in many years,some Ive never seen.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #1054
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
oobus

Chuck is right about time.
When I think of fern canyon, It is North of Eureka. Camp on the beach. It is called "Gold Bluffs Beach". Hidden treasure. I use it. on your particular route I would camp about 14 miles North of Westport. just past the last "campground" about 200 yards on the opposite side of the road is my secrete spot. don't pull in very far off the road maybe sixty feet, under and behind first set of trees. just before 101 leaves the coast. this is about 3 to 8 miles before you pull off on Usal. I camp there often. then You will be taking the "Lost Coast" and spend a good portion of the day making it to Brookings. I have another trials event that weekend or I would go with you.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #1055
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,848
When I lived in Eureka I was Logging and wandered all over the coast and inland off HWY 36,299 etc,short of locked gates that are more common now than ever,there is endless riding over there,and many small towns to meet people,the thing I like about Humbolt,Trinity,Mendocino,and Del Norte counties is you feel like you are in a different country,cool to see all the alternate lifestyles and the temps are just right for riding this time of year also its easy to just camp randomly over there.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #1056
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Mattole Rd. is a fun road...

...although last time I was across it a couple of years ago it was a paved rough road. Kings Peak was on my adgenda but I didn't make it due to Usal Rd. still being closed in April. Still on my radar for this fall.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #1057
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,848
I've seen cape Mendocino only. From the ocean looking east from my sailboat,I lived in Eureka for a while on my small sailboat and then headed down the coast,I believe the Mattole RD heads out to Cape Mendocino I hope to ride out there this summer, as stated before I love the coast.BTW Cape Mendocino is the farthest west you can be in the United States except for Alaska and Hawaii.

8lives screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 09:59 PM
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #1058
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Sat. 13 th

Going for a ride Sat. 13 th going to ride Ponderosa Way from Hwy 32 to Hwy 36 then maybe thru Lassen Park to 44 to Shingletown then down to Manton back to Hwy 36 then back to Corning. If anyone wants to go let me know.
Klrcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #1059
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
I'd be up for that if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
Going for a ride Sat. 13 th going to ride Ponderosa Way from Hwy 32 to Hwy 36 then maybe thru Lassen Park to 44 to Shingletown then down to Manton back to Hwy 36 then back to Corning. If anyone wants to go let me know.
I wasn't going to be on the OBCDR on that date.
Maybe we'll connect on another ride?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1060
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

What is obcrd

What is the obcrd?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #1061
Klrcharlie
Adventurer

OBCDR sorry
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #1062
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

O.b.c.d.r.

Oregon to British Columbia, Dirt Ride.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #1063
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrcharlie View Post
Go back to Manton on Rock Creek Road. Hop Sing and I did that a few weeks back and riding thru the burn area is very humbling. I want to go back near the end of summer just to prove to myself that it will grow back.
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #1064
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
I am probably doing a loop including that part of Rock Creek this weekend. I am kinda curious to see the burn too. My loop is all North of 36 so the only link our rides will have in common is Shingletown and opposite directions on Rock Creek and Manton Rd.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #1065
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh

O.K. Oregon Back Country, how far north you headed. Are you going to stage out off your property just north of the big mountain. Sounds like a good time. Take some pictures of the Scenery on your Ride