Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #1186
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
What kind of issues have you had?
Electrical gremlins. Fuses blowing. Things working then not. Finally hit an expansion joint and the brake lights stuck on.
Dealer kinda blew most of it off and me along with it. The final straw that shorted the brake lights was finally found after ten weeks and corrected with a new wiring harness, crushed wiring under the seat, and I had to foot the bill for it Vic denied it, and there was no arguing with them. Dealership is pretty poor, Vic customer care is pretty poor, and the fragile wiring system? The crushed wires should have been found during the 10K service, supposed to have an air filter change. Hmmmm
A better dealership might change the whole experience. I don't so much have a problem with things breaking, but when it does, the way the company handles it is what makes them. The dealership had a long standing reputation for being what they still are, but new owners, location, management, etc; i gave them a chance, kinda regret it.
The bike is a fine rider. It would be hard to find anything that I like better, although I'm waiting (and have been for 8 years now) for Yamaha to do a redesign of the Venture. This will be the second "transition" bike, just hope it holds up and Yamaha ponies up a good offering.
This is still playing out and I'm gaining trust in the bike. Like I said, I hope the reliability comes through.
Oh BTW, these engines take a long time to break in. 5Kish will bring an ahaa moment, 10K does as well. Performance mostly on the 5 and gas mileage jumped a couple MPG on the 10. The engine seems to improve, just don't let anyone talk you in to "upgrading" it. Too many stories of having to keep throwing money at them, or live with popping, funky, quirky performance. Many say it is normal, I say BS. IF they ever figure it out they are getting some good HP numbers, but if I wanted fast, that would be what I bought.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #1187
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
We ought to all ride to the Victory National Rally together next year.
Oh hells yea, I got nothin' going on that weekend.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #1188
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
Bite the bullet, buy a seat. I highly recommend Russell Day long. I have a Corbin, and although it is fine now, no one should have to go through their customer "service". What a bad joke.
Anyhoo, like you I needed a seat. I knew it going in, so no problem. I had myself moved forward 2 inches and that cured a lot of ill feelings. Hands aren't numb, back and butt don't hurt.
Still looking for the reliability so many tout. Guess I got "lucky" but hope all is well now. If you have a good service department, use them, praise them and stick with them.
This bike has been in the shop over twice the time in a year as my last two were in over ten years.
maybe I have different reliability expectations. Hope things go well now because it is a great rider. just have to be able to trust it.
YMMV
I did. Bought an Ultimate. I gained maybe another 50 or so miles in the seat before i'm ready to get off of it. I'm lucky if that's a 150 miles or so.

We just finished a nine day 2500 mile trip and our longest day was 560 miles.

I'm not going to put out another chunk of change on a seat that may or may not work any better than stock.

I'm going in a different direction and have it listed for sale on a couple Victory websites.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #1189
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Oh hells yea, I got nothin' going on that weekend.

I am talking 2014. I can't make this year's.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #1190
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Electrical gremlins. Fuses blowing. Things working then not. Finally hit an expansion joint and the brake lights stuck on.
Dealer kinda blew most of it off and me along with it. The final straw that shorted the brake lights was finally found after ten weeks and corrected with a new wiring harness, crushed wiring under the seat, and I had to foot the bill for it Vic denied it, and there was no arguing with them. Dealership is pretty poor, Vic customer care is pretty poor, and the fragile wiring system? The crushed wires should have been found during the 10K service, supposed to have an air filter change. Hmmmm
A better dealership might change the whole experience. I don't so much have a problem with things breaking, but when it does, the way the company handles it is what makes them. The dealership had a long standing reputation for being what they still are, but new owners, location, management, etc; i gave them a chance, kinda regret it.
The bike is a fine rider. It would be hard to find anything that I like better, although I'm waiting (and have been for 8 years now) for Yamaha to do a redesign of the Venture. This will be the second "transition" bike, just hope it holds up and Yamaha ponies up a good offering.
This is still playing out and I'm gaining trust in the bike. Like I said, I hope the reliability comes through.
Oh BTW, these engines take a long time to break in. 5Kish will bring an ahaa moment, 10K does as well. Performance mostly on the 5 and gas mileage jumped a couple MPG on the 10. The engine seems to improve, just don't let anyone talk you in to "upgrading" it. Too many stories of having to keep throwing money at them, or live with popping, funky, quirky performance. Many say it is normal, I say BS. IF they ever figure it out they are getting some good HP numbers, but if I wanted fast, that would be what I bought.
Ir sounds like all of your issues are a result of the wiring harness issue and the dealer's failure to warranty it. Was the bike still under warranty and how did they pin that issue on you?

I am going to leave mine bone stock.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #1191
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla View Post
I did. Bought an Ultimate. I gained maybe another 50 or so miles in the seat before i'm ready to get off of it. I'm lucky if that's a 150 miles or so.

I'm not going to put out another chunk of change on a seat that may or may not work any better than stock.

I'm going in a different direction and have it listed for sale on a couple Victory websites.
Seats and helmets for me are so damn frustrating. The way they feel when you first try them is NO indication of how they will feel after 2 hours. If your butt is capable of long days, a Russell Day Long WILL work. They are amazing seats.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #1192
Mattbastard
Lazy ass

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
I am talking 2014. I can't make this year's.
Well, I still may go, depending on weather.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #1193
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ir sounds like all of your issues are a result of the wiring harness issue and the dealer's failure to warranty it. Was the bike still under warranty and how did they pin that issue on you?

I am going to leave mine bone stock.
They were and were long lasting. The dealer replaced the wiring harness and sprang the good news on me when I picked it up. The impending explosion ended very poorly. They had my bike and left little choice.
Victory was contacted and had an "Oh well" answer, along with the obligatory "take it up with your dealer" that was the status quo from them for other times it was being looked at for interesting quirks.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #1194
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla View Post

How ever you go, good luck. I agree that the Ultimate offering for the X bikes is nothing but a re-padded stock seat. They will tell you that up front if you manage to get them on the phone. Emails seem to be paraphrased from the advertising pitch.
Anyway they are up front on it if you ask. If you like the bike, find a seat shop close that can help you out, or Russell will talk to you, get pics from you and listen to every nit you need fixed, then discuss what you expect. Yes expensive but you get to talk to a human and discuss your expectations and what your needs are. They also stand boldly behind their product. Unhappy customers seem to piss them off so they do everything humanly possible to get it right or tell you up front they aren't your seat company. It is money well spent, and you already found out what happens with an off the shelf offering.Spend once and wisely.
These are really good riders and are great long haulers. The "cool" Arlen Ness seating and handle bar position are the shortcoming IMHO, but it can be undone with a seat. This puts you in the natural center of the bike, and brings things in to you, improves handling and heat management. There is still plenty of leg room for my 34 inch inseam, although I have heard guys gripe about being cramped and they are a whopping 5'9'' LOL It really cured a lot of ills, but I knew what I needed to get to so that hurdle was already crossed.
Good luck with selling the ultimate, it will probably go fast. Lots of folks like the stock seating position, and the ultimate is a good choice for them. FWIW.

txwanderer screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 08:03 PM
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #1195
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
They were and were long lasting. The dealer replaced the wiring harness and sprang the good news on me when I picked it up. The impending explosion ended very poorly. They had my bike and left little choice.
Victory was contacted and had an "Oh well" answer, along with the obligatory "take it up with your dealer" that was the status quo from them for other times it was being looked at for interesting quirks.
Was the bike still under warranty?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #1196
awork13
Gas was made to burn

Oddometer: 313
Some how my wife knew I have been eyeing this guy for a while and surprised me with it. Super lucky, now its time to find a windscreen.

photo WP_20130708_0011_zps73325c08.jpg
2009 CRF150R
awork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #1197
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by awork13 View Post
Some how my wife knew I have been eyeing this guy for a while and surprised me with it. Super lucky, now its time to find a windscreen.

Wow. Just wow! Enjoy it.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #1198
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by awork13 View Post
Congrats! Enjoy the ride and figure out how to repay your kind wife......
jmlmjmjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #1199
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,575
Quote:
Wow. Just wow! Enjoy it.
What he said.

Lucky guy!

Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #1200
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Was the bike still under warranty?
Yes, less than 10 months old when taken in the last time. They made sure to keep it till the warranty was done so they didn't have to fool with it again.
Short of hiring a lawyer, not much to do other than hate the brand and dealer. I have come to do both. I doubt I'll ever buy another one because of the customer service so far. Might be mostly the dealer, but I won't buy from them again.